I want to upgrade to either a fender or ibanez , but which is btr ? I personally play rock and occasionally metal. I m not much into really fast shredding . So i guess i need help in deciding ! Tnx
it all depends on what your preference is. (tone wise) Fender has great neck pick-ups that I would use for chords (no distortion). However, I dont care for Fender with distortion. So its a toss up. But I would say Ibanez.
pickups dont matter you can change them amp is what you should be more concernced with and also what music you play and how much your budget is
Quote by azn_guitarist25
pickups dont matter you can change them amp is what you should be more concernced with and also what music you play and how much your budget is

pickups will matter if he buys a strat with all single coils and then realizes he needs at least one humbucker, installation will be more expensive
just read first post should get a ibanez rg321 or even the rg1570 prestige if you could afford it

edit:
Quote by rubberbullets
pickups will matter if he buys a strat with all single coils and then realizes he needs at least one humbucker, installation will be more expensive

you can get mini humbuckers or humbuckers in the size of a single coil
You need to be looking at specific guitars from each of these brands,rather than just asking which brand is better! What's the price range you are looking at? Although Fenders are generally better quality, however some Ibanez guitars maybe better for some specific styles than a Fender.
fenders suck
metal fans go for ibanez
heavy rock / metal / pretty much any other rock go for gibsons
fenders are for like.... hicks.
clapton plays a fender now becuase his too old, and what he writes is slow bluesy stuff.
knoppfler has a fender because he doesnt use a pick and its easier on his fingers. and his old.
obviously i hate fender.
love clapton tho.
i love fender, and i always will. i hate the shape of ibanez's
My Gear
Fender Jagstang
Squier Strat
Crate 120w 212XR
Danelectro Fab Chorus
Boss DS-1
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Fender DG-100 Aucoustic
Quote by henza_x
fenders suck
metal fans go for ibanez
heavy rock / metal / pretty much any other rock go for gibsons
fenders are for like.... hicks.
clapton plays a fender now becuase his too old, and what he writes is slow bluesy stuff.
knoppfler has a fender because he doesnt use a pick and its easier on his fingers. and his old.
obviously i hate fender.
love clapton tho.

ahem... you sir are a fool metals know that esp guitars are better now please dont be fool
Rock and occasional metal? Fender all the way!
- FJ

Quote by Landover Baptist Church
If you find [balloons in his bedroom], it is a sign that Satan may have taken your child by the hand and skipped off together to see the movie, Up without your knowledge.

fender = versatility, ibanez = versatility, slightly poorer quality. oh lord, poor isnt the correct word. i bought an ibanez s470, great guitar, so versatile. VERSATILE!
A Fender with a humbucker in the bridge position would suit your needs well. Any decent Ibanez would as well.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
Ibanez S470, it's got a very versatile H/S/H pickup setup, and the ever-wonderful Wizard neck. Or if you like funnier shapes, Iceman 400 - very decent, though it doesn't have a single coil of the S470; but it has cool looks :p .
You could also try a Schester Damien FR, I'm not sure if you can get it for under 500$ and if you'd like the Floyd Rose on it, but it's an amazing guitar in this price range, imo.
Jackson DKMG & KE3, Fender Mexican Strat, Stagg Acoustic

Boss Compressor & Chorus, Dunlop Crybaby, Behringer Delay, ISP Decimator, Ibanez Tubescreamer

Laney TT50H, Marshall 1960A, Roland Cube 15

Looking to jam in Belfast, PM me!
You need to try both out. Go to a guitar store that carries both and sit down and play a bunch of each. See which ones you like. Only you can make the decision.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
eh the fr on the damien is a licenced version so thats gonna probably be a hassle tuning. if he were to get a schecter he might as well get a schecter c-1 hellraiser fr
Just go have a play with a few you'll get a feel for something and say "that's it!". If you decide on an Ibanez check over everything carefully, the assembly quality seems to be sucking lately, machining and everything seems generally fine, just seems they have some lazy SOB's putting everything together.
Well, you most deff. need to try out multiple guitars, its really the only way to decide. I went to multiple stores, I had a specific brand in mind (parker, because i like the small necks almost like a strat neck), but i ended up buying a guitar that generaly is thought of as a no-name(Godin). It had what I consider a fairly wide neck, kind of thick as well, but the large/jumbo frets did it for me, locking tuners, the string through design, the ability to coil tap, as well as the Seymour Duncan pickups.

I suggest this:

-You should bring your amp with you to play the guitars through, Or at least make sure that they have the exact same kind of amp at the store.

-You should make a list of features you wish for your new guitar. And then make a list of the guitars that fill that criteria. Then make a positive/ Negative list of the guitars on that list.

I suggest ceramic pickups over Alinco for at least the single coils, but if you are planning on changing them, it doesnt really matter, then does it?

~Now for some suggestions on brands/guitars~

-Strat- I personally love the stratocaster neck, I wish most of them had bigger frets though. I own two so i might be a little biased. I have a mexican fat strat ( which i replaced the bridge humbucker, and i also plan to change the single coils out for ceramic pickups. I also have a Squier ProTone strat, it has very similar specs to an american strat (or what i can remember of them) like an ash body (anywhere from 1-5 pecies) for more info: http://www.squierjv.info/theprotonepage.htm

-Ibanez GAX75GP- I like this guitar, i pick it up and play it every time im in a guitar store amd they have one available. I especially love the "Downshifter" bridge which alows you to drop you bottom E to a D. http://www.ibanez.com/guitars/guitar.asp?model=GAX75

-If you can find a dealer of Godin guitars in the US, i would suggest at least trying out those. I cannot stress enought the quality and value you get from a godin guitar.

-Try out some "No-name" guitars, compare them to brand name guitars, i find that some no-name brands rival or exceed the quality of brand name.

And most importantly, have fun trying out alot of guitars (I ALWAYS get extremley happy and excited when im on the hunt for a guitar) And buy what feels right. Consider customer service too, it might come in handy...