As far as I can see there are two main techniques:

- The 'from above' style (Flea's style), slapping downwards and hooking the first finger under the string to pop

- Playing from the bridge, slapping in the same way (just from behind) and popping with the knuckle of your first finger

I have always done the 'from above' style, and can't play from the bridge at all. I've got pretty fast and strong with it but I constantly find myself skimming the E when trying to slap the A.

What are your preferred techniques, and why?
Musicman Stingray 3EQ
From above (in more ways than one ). I find it much easier to be more precise this way. I think skimming the E is always going to happen really, you just have to mute it in your preferred way. I use my palm, which i find helps greatly

BB
x
Gear Lists Are For Boys Who Masturbate Too Much.
i can play anything i've heard in the 'above' manner, but now i'm starting to learn from the bridge, theres 10x more flexibility than playing like flea, his technique is very limited and doesnt use the economy of motion....
Originally posted by Liamy
I kicked a puppy before, but only because it was really annoying.
If by from the bridge you mean having your arm parallel to the bridge and having your thumb parallel to the strings then that is what I normally use.
i can play anything i've heard in the 'above' manner, but now i'm starting to learn from the bridge, theres 10x more flexibility than playing like flea, his technique is very limited and doesnt use the economy of motion....

nice, when i see you getting aclaim for being a great bassist i'll know who to look for. Oh and flea is amazing, bad technique or not.
who are you to wave your finger......
Quote by fleabass
nice, when i see you getting aclaim for being a great bassist i'll know who to look for. Oh and flea is amazing, bad technique or not.

He is not trying to belittle flea and make himself seem better, but in the long run if you learn by the parallel thumb method it does give you far more versatility. Just look at Marcus Miller, Victor Wooten etc.

Flea is a great bassist, no question but it was his dedication to playing the intrument which made sure he could play well despite using a relatively awkward technique. By using a parallel thumb you are more accurate, use less energy and allows you to double thumb if you want to.
he must have his action so high. I can hear loads of buzzing from his slapping. It's all amazing amazing stuff, but I weep to see how high or low his strings are set

EDIT (after seeing the other video)

wow...thats all I can say...wow...
Quote by Benjibum
I know you not, but speak to my very heart you do.

I have that effect on people
Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
GO SENS GO!
Last edited by cygnus2112 at May 16, 2006,
i play "from above" simply cause i like to play standing up and from the bridge standing up is just awkward.

i hate having my bass right up to my chest too (like most of you would suggest) cause it limits my body motion.
Play parallel. Used to play thumb..Mark King plays parallel to..Much better.
i'm unsure of what way i slap, the flea and johnson videos didn't seem to have different slap methods, i've also developed a couple of neat techniques.
Have a closer look at his forearm and thumb/fingers.
Musicman Stingray 3EQ
seeing as were on slap techniques, trying to get a hold of parallel cuz as you guys say it is less restrictive and theres less room for error than above technique which is wat i do atm.
however one thing that has perplexed me is developing a good mute slap/pop technique. Am i missing a trick here?
i use the first method, im just too lazy to learn the wooten style technique.besides i much prefer flea to wooten, wooten is indeed a bass magician, though hes all too smooth for me, theres so much more aggression and excitement when flea plays, with his whole punk rock ethic/funk thing going on .
who are you to wave your finger......