Page 1 of 2
can i? to get rid of all the abuse it went through. its bout 15 years old. and the sunburst doesnt really work for me, so can i repaint it and how??
You could rattle can it(spray paint)...It all depends on what kind of guitar...Is it a peice of ****? If so it doesn't really matter how you paint it!!

I actually kind of like the wear and tear look after a guitar gets a lot of abuse so its all a matter of opinion!
Why "Emo"? What the hell are they? A crossbreed between manic depressives and the crow?!LOL!!

Some Beach, Some where!
Quote by Valasco
No one dies as a virgin. Life f***s us all
Quote by G_Dub777
You could rattle can it(spray paint)...It all depends on what kind of guitar...Is it a peice of ****? If so it doesn't really matter how you paint it!!

I actually kind of like the wear and tear look after a guitar gets a lot of abuse so its all a matter of opinion!

if it sounds decent and everything the battered look is kinda cool... you could just stain the wood or carefully sand out the blemishs and spray some clear coat on it and buff it out... im not a wood worker
I'm not funny, nor smart enough to have a funny or smart sig...

head stock....thought of changing tuners

front

back

side

whole thing

i thought o painting it cream or white with black binding. but how to do the binding??
do i have to sand everything down before i paint?? and what type of paint?
That thing's great!

Don't repaint it. Whatever you do now in regards to repainting it will affect the tone, and probably muffle it and make it sound pretty bad. I would leave it as it is.
Double Neck Project - Winner of 2006 GB&C "Best guitar build from scratch", "(Best) Most expensive build" and "Best Idea" awards - FINISHED!

Member #2 of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join.
erm...cause i dont really like the sunburst. and theres scratches, dings, dents which can be removed with a refinish. the tone isnt really a top quality guitar tone. i just talked to the old woman who gave it to me yesterday, she said it was her fathers. and she's old....so im guessin 40-55 years old actualy. she said her dad had it even before she was born. so instead of repainting, how do i get rid of the scratches, and dings, and dents, and how do i repair the fret board or make it better?? plus, can i lower the action?? its seriously high now....
If you repaint the guitar will will not sound the same. Regular spray paint will ruin the guitar so don't use that. Use the special spray laquers from www.stewmac.com On an electric guitar the finish isn't as vital but on an acoustic you will ruin the tone if you don't use something that is specialy designed for instruments.
Not taking any online orders.
Alternatively, I bet you could sell it for a bit, and buy a new guitar with the money.
I wouldn't fix that sucker up if I were you. If it's as old as you say, you could get a pretty penny for it. Just take it to a shop and have them lower the action and put some new strings on it and it should sound and play nice. That thing's gorgeous.
the thing is obese....well, i might try to sell it but i dont know anybody who'd want an old guitar around my place. plus, i think its a low end guitar during the olden times, cause its not that great, juz an okay sound coming from it. and guys, how bout the fret board?? i wanna make it darker and nicer it looks and feel.
That guitar is awesome. Don't do a thing to it. It'll turn heads for sure. If you paint it it will screw up the tone and you'll be turning heads, . . . away.
Chuck Norris doesn't read, he stares books down until they give him the information he wants.

My Gear:
Washburn WR120
Randall RG100SC
Behringer XV-amp
Silvertone bass
I would buy it if you lived near me.
Quote by ibanez901
I brush my pubal forest into a combover.
Quote by de.sandman
how bout the fret board? how do i make it better??

didnt read the rest of the thread so this may have been said, but next time you change the strings (looks like that should be soon) lem oil the fretboard. most guitar shops will have it, its a lemon extract and some synthetic stuff, it basically is like a moisturizer/cleaner for the fretboard, you spray it on, let it settle into the neck for a while (thats an old guitar, and probably hasnt been lem oiled, so you should probably let it set for a good while, 15-30 minutes) then wipe it off with a soft cloth or paper towels, till its dry and you arent still getting dirt and grime off the neck when you wipe it.

trust me, that will make the neck look and feel a million times better

and do not paint that guitar
"insert witty somewhat racial, innapropriate, degrading comment here"
Quote by StaggHound
That thing's beat up and beautiful! Don't change a thing about it!

My point exactly...painting it would be horrible. Thats like repainting the mona lisa...You just can't!!
Why "Emo"? What the hell are they? A crossbreed between manic depressives and the crow?!LOL!!

Some Beach, Some where!
Quote by Valasco
No one dies as a virgin. Life f***s us all
Quote by de.sandman
....fret board tips anyone....??

Not much you can do to a fretboard unless you want to replace the fretboard. Thats expensive tho.
That's a strange looking guitar, who is it by?

And like everyone else has said, don't touch the finish, it looks good.
Quote by CorduroyEW
Not much you can do to a fretboard unless you want to replace the fretboard. Thats expensive tho.

and it would ruin the appeal of that guitar.

just lem oil it, trust me
"insert witty somewhat racial, innapropriate, degrading comment here"
Don't, don't, don't repaint that PLEASE!! I'll buy it from you if need be, PM me if you wan't to sell it.
'Aim at perfection in everything, though in most things it is unattainable. However, they who aim at it, and persevere, will come much nearer to it than those whose despondency and laziness make them give it up as unattainable.'
omg, please don't touch that thing anymore. you could sell that at a vintage guitar sumit for lots of dough and buy one you like. PLEASE dont TOUCH IT WITH ANYTHING! sell it to Algee for all I care, but don't change it!
DON'T REPAINT IT

You could sell it if you really don't like the look of it.

I'd buy it off of you if I had money. But if you have an asking price, please send me a PM. I'd be able to scrape some money together for that beautiful looking guitar.
Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional

Member #9 of the Samnung Has Crabs Club , PM Powerhouse to join

Custom Build
Quote by pyromaniac7234
DON'T REPAINT IT

You could sell it if you really don't like the look of it.

I'd buy it off of you if I had money. But if you have an asking price, please send me a PM. I'd be able to scrape some money together for that beautiful looking guitar.

Dibs!!! lol
'Aim at perfection in everything, though in most things it is unattainable. However, they who aim at it, and persevere, will come much nearer to it than those whose despondency and laziness make them give it up as unattainable.'
Quote by AlGeeEater
Don't, don't, don't repaint that PLEASE!! I'll buy it from you if need be, PM me if you wan't to sell it.

u serious?? i live in malaysia....

thats in asia....

oh well....

oh and thnx for the lemon oil tip guys, gonna get it when i visit the music store.

but whats so special bout this guitar anyways??
why is everybody against the idea of repainting (excluding the tone change)??

Quote by Craigster
That's a strange looking guitar, who is it by?

i dont know. theres no brand on the headstock or anywhere else....
Because the the guitar looks worn in and played. It looks like it's been well taken care of but used and that is the exact loook most guitar players want.
Quote by de.sandman
u serious?? i live in malaysia....

thats in asia....

oh well....

oh and thnx for the lemon oil tip guys, gonna get it when i visit the music store.

but whats so special bout this guitar anyways??
why is everybody against the idea of repainting (excluding the tone change)??

i dont know. theres no brand on the headstock or anywhere else....

Well, it just looks really unique.

Also, rock on, man. Where in the delta ya from? I got kin in PJ.

But mainly... That guitar just looks incredibly strange, and incredibly nice. Dings and scratches can add or take away from a guitar... In this case, they definately add character.
Of course, man.

I got a bunch of cousins down Ipoh way.
I wanted to visit down that way, but then I found out all the hotels are haunted.
I'm a OBC, I guess. I've only been over a couple times to see family.

Of course, last time I was over, I'm pretty sure Heavy Metal had been banned in Malaysia because of some festival that turned into a riot or something... My family's always been big on English, so I couldn't actually read all the coverage.

I also found it amazing that The Star had a wrestling column every week! Freaky!
oh yea i remembered that. haha. funny article they printed in the papers. bout how heavy metal was against islam and all. great knowing theres somebody here who's actualy closer to home. i thought everyone here were from europe, US, etc
well... I am from Europe :p

UK specifically.

I feel sorry for Malay guitarists! You must have to change strings so often!
Quote by AlGeeEater
Dibs!!! lol

I SAW IT FIRST!

(well I guess not because you posted before me, buts it's all I could come up with)
Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional

Member #9 of the Samnung Has Crabs Club , PM Powerhouse to join

Custom Build
You can have it, paying for shipping and taxes isn't worth that much
Page 1 of 2