Seems there is alot of hate going gibsons way. So i decided ill give a review of the guitar i recieved about 8 hours ago which i've been playing continuously for the same time. Its a Gibson Les Paul Classic.

Okay, here we go.

Features: 9/10

Mine's a 2004 Gibson les paul classic with a gorgous vintage sunburst finish.

Here's the spec:

BODY
Top Species: Carved maple
Back Species: Mahogany
Binding: Single-ply top

NECK
Species: Mahogany
Profile: 1960 Slim taper
Peghead Pitch: 17°
Thickness at 1st Fret: 0.800
Thickness at 12th Fret: 0.875
Heel Length: 0.625
Neck Joint Location: 16

FINGERBOARD
Species: Rosewood
Scale Length: 243/4"
Total Length: 18.062
Number of Frets: 22
Nut Width: 111/16"
Width at 12th Fret: 2.062
Inlays: Yellow Pearloid Trapezoid
Fingerboard Binding: Single-ply

HARDWARE
Plating Finish: Nickel; Gold available on Ebony
Tailpiece: Stopbar
Bridge: Tune-o-matic
Knobs: Amber Top Hat
Tuners: Green Key

ELECTRONICS
Neck Pickups: 496R ceramic magnet humbucker
Bridge Pickups: 500T ceramic magnet humbucker
Controls: Two volume, two tone, three-way switch

Gotten from the gibson web site coz im lazy. For me this is ultimate spec, with the only thing missing being the highly figured maple top. Because of this, its only a nine. However, for the extra cash being demanded for the standard premium plus or the supreme, the classic is definately more worth the price I paid, IMO.

Sound: 10/10

Now this is the best sounding guitar i've ever played. That includes the various standards and supremes I tried at the store. the most important reason for that of course, is the pickups. They're amazing. While emitting that warm rich sound that is the trademark of gibson guitars, it still manages to dirty the sound up some compared to the other gibson models sporting burstbuckers. For me, this is perfect, as i'm an avowed fan of garage rock and the like. The sound is perfect, simply put.

Action, fit and finish: 10/10

The finish is flawless. A beautiful carved maple top with vintage suburst finish makes this guitar the perfect guitar for me, combined with the awesome sound. The fretwork is flawless, and each fret is evenly spaced out and set in. The finish is also flawless, the dark edges flawlessly flowing over into the dark yellow middle perfectly. The woods contours showing through the finish is this guitars best feature IMO, since the aa figured maple of the standards feel like they try to be something they're not. It just doesn't look good until you've got at least AAA maple.

The action is also set perfectly, and it just feels like the fingers flow over the fretboard lightening fast. Its amazing how such a mundane thing as quality guitar can improve your skills, as well as your joy in playing it. 10/10 for being a perfect baby.

Reliability and durability: 8/10

As said before, i haven't had this guitar for long, but it still feels like its a solid piece of equipment, and i don't doubt that it could take a blow or two before going out of commission. I feel like i could take it anywhere without having to worry about its condition too much. However, the fragility of the headstock is unfortunately a trait in gibsons that i could've managed without, and although i haven't experienced any problems with it, the fact that the whole guitar being virtually ****ed if the headstock were to split, i give only a 8/10.

Impression: 10/10

Yeah, i'll bear over with the fragile headstock, and the lack of AAA figured maple top, and give it a shining 10. After all, if you're careful with this baby, you won't get a problem, and if you're not careful with such an expensive guitar, you don't deserve it anyway. Also, the carved maple top does have a certain degree of charm to it. The amazing sound, fantastic playability, and the beautiful appearance all combine to make this a nearly perfect guitar. Outstanding!

That was my two cents anyway. Was it worth it? Definately! Would i buy it again if it was stolen or broken? Yes!

Løb og Køb. Thats danish for run and buy
Enjoy your new toy.

And you did right trying out different guitars. The most expensive (Standard, Custom, Supreme) aren't always the best, even though they're more expensive. To me, you buy a Les Paul for the tone. Looks and style are strictly secondary.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
Quote by guitarforever<3
Seems there is alot of hate going gibsons way. So i decided ill give a review of the guitar i recieved about 8 hours ago which i've been playing continuously for the same time. Its a Gibson Les Paul Classic....

It's good you like it. Probably you won't be changing any minds.

One thing I've noticed about reviews, is that the new owners always give stellar
marks to the guitar unless its seriously flawed. That's pretty much as it should
be since you wouldn't have bought it if you didn't like it. So, I always take any
review with a big huge grain of salt. Unless its a bad review which I'll pay more
attention to.
Well, i wasn't exactly trying to change the people who hate gibsons mind as much as i was trying to influence those who don't know what they should think about the whole gibson matter.

And i aslo generally pay more attention to bad reviews
should've bought 5 - 6 Agiles instead LMAO

Hey, you did a pretty thorough and well thought out review, how about a comparison to your Epiphone?
^Haha.

It's good you tried it out before buying too, they're great guitars, congrats!

I was gonna' buy an LP classic once, didn't, I'm gassing for one now though...
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Congrats on a great guitar, man.

Personally I don't find many problems with Gibson quality. The only problem is the outrageous price. For $3000 people expect perfection and if any instrument leaves the Gibson factory with a flaw, the customers will notice and will expect an explanation.

"What do you have to say for yourself Gibson?" they would say.

Of course, Gibson is the angsty rebellious type, "You're not the bosses of me, you stupid customers... I'll rip you off whenever I want to! And stop staring at my orange peel or I'll cut you with my frets!" *runs out and slams the door*

American Stratocaster + Blues Junior

Quote by Armored Artist
Of course, Gibson is the angsty rebellious type, "You're not the bosses of me, you stupid customers... I'll rip you off whenever I want to! And stop staring at my orange peel or I'll cut you with my frets!" *runs out and slams the door*

The funniest part about this post is that it's true - at least to some extent.. lol.

I've got orange feel on the sides of my Studio's body, and on the edges of the headstock. And I cut myself on a fret (actually, on the binding where it's raised to meet the fret) on a LP Standard at our local Gibbo dealer.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Quote by mrbreeze

Hey, you did a pretty thorough and well thought out review, how about a comparison to your Epiphone?

Thanks

The sound isn't worth comparing, honestly. And i had a very solid epiphone made in the tcecz(sp) republic which could prob nearly rival a low end gibson as far as quality was concerned. But its the sound that REALLY sets them apart. Also, my epiphone was of a black finish which i don't really fancy. Its a great guitar too ,though, I just felt i needed an upgrade guitarwise

Quote by Armored Artist

Why hasn't somebody sigged this yet?
Last edited by guitarforever<3 at May 16, 2006,
Actually, several companies make their 'import' models in the Czech Republic for the European market. Since they're made in Europe, they don't get hit with the heavy duties that Korean and Chinese instruments get hit with, which in turn keeps the affordable brands affordable.

Dean guitars made in the Czech Republic are recognized as being made to the same quality of workmanship of American Deans, only with lower grade woods and hardware like the Korean models.

Well, that might be, but the import models of epiphone for the europe market is generally made in korea. However, they made some batches of guitars in the czech rep. but coz they didn't have anymore wood (Or some other reason like that) they had to shut down the facility, so that henceforth all epi's are made in korea.
Quote by Armored Artist
Congrats on a great guitar, man.

Personally I don't find many problems with Gibson quality. The only problem is the outrageous price. For $3000 people expect perfection and if any instrument leaves the Gibson factory with a flaw, the customers will notice and will expect an explanation.

"What do you have to say for yourself Gibson?" they would say.

who pays 3000 for a gibson? any idiot can get a great used one that plays perfect for 1000 bucks. my latest LP is a classic i got off of ebay for 1200 and it plays like butter and looks good to boot.

gibson's highest les paul models aren't 3000 bucks unless you get into the reissues or sigs.
Quote by deg0ey
The best pickups for emo are no pickups at all...

Gear:

1996 Les Paul Classic w/ Alnico II's
Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
Quote by mrbreeze

5 honda accords don't = a benz

agiles are good guitars for the money but its not gonna play like a gibson.
Quote by deg0ey

Gear:

Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
LP Custom is $3800 Cdn at our local shop, and that's a big markdown from the $4999 MSRP. I know I can get it for at least $500 less than that though, but I wouldn't pay that much for any guitar that wasn't custom made for me.

I dont much favour the idea of buying a custom made guitar. For one thing, you won't get more than 1/4 of what you paid for it (At least not around here). Also, you run the risk of the guitar not turning out the exact way you'd thought, and then you're seriously ****ed. Those two things are enough to scare me away at least.

Ill be posting a pic as soon as i get my camera back. Ill be buying a new one maybe this weekend. So until then...
Quote by Crunchmeister
LP Custom is $3800 Cdn at our local shop, and that's a big markdown from the $4999 MSRP. I know I can get it for at least $500 less than that though, but I wouldn't pay that much for any guitar that wasn't custom made for me.

i'm talking american here...customs are like 2200 in america...standards 2000...classics 1800..and these are new prices outa say musiciansfriend.com or music123...or pretty much any local store to. just checked the mag while i was on the pop a second ago.
Quote by deg0ey

Gear:

Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
The lis prices for the classic are 2,500 - 3,000... While the custom goes for 4,800... Thats from musiciansfriend.
Quote by bonchie1

You're right.

5 Honda Accords > 1 Benz

At about $35,000 Canadian per Accord, you are looking at $175,000. That amount can get you 5 C-Class C230s.

American Stratocaster + Blues Junior

Quote by guitarforever<3
The lis prices for the classic are 2,500 - 3,000... While the custom goes for 4,800... Thats from musiciansfriend.

not even the most expensive music stores sell at the list price so who gives a crap about the list price.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitar/navigation?N=100001+304275+200988&page=1

all that matters is what they actually sell them for.
Quote by deg0ey

Gear:

Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
All right, Im afraid there'll be no pics. Or tehre might be, put im returning the guitar. Why? After testing the guitar extensively on my own amp, i realized that the upgrade compared to my epiphone didn't justify the 2,500 spent on it. I know i said the sound was uncomparable, and in a way it is, but its nothing that couldn't be changed by some new pickups. Maybe ill submit some pics for you tomorrow. It depends or weather or not i get my camera
Quote by guitarforever<3
All right, Im afraid there'll be no pics. Or tehre might be, put im returning the guitar. Why? After testing the guitar extensively on my own amp, i realized that the upgrade compared to my epiphone didn't justify the 2,500 spent on it. I know i said the sound was uncomparable, and in a way it is, but its nothing that couldn't be changed by some new pickups. Maybe ill submit some pics for you tomorrow. It depends or weather or not i get my camera

well we could of told you that...there great guitars...but unless you get one used...don't bother.
Quote by deg0ey

Gear:

Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
I commend your decision after the newness blush wore off.

Personally, I find LPs to be very ordinary feeling/playing guitars (in addition to be
chunky blocks of wood). I could say the same about some other brands too. My
$200 Ibanez feels just as good to me as any LP I've tried (and I'm by no means
saying Ibanez "pwns" because they have some expensive dogs too). For $2500
you want the guitar to have that special "something" to it....
well of course it will sound good when played next to other gibsons

gibsons are the most worthless guitars on the face of the planet period they are crap

you just think it sounds good because you don't know any better
Glad you like it, Ive played various pauls and thats the one Id buy the Classic with 60s neck, does it have 1960 engraved on the pickplate? The last ones I tried in 1993 all had that on the pickplate. A Honeyburst Classic or a PRS Custom22 are my dream/maybe one day guitars.
Quote by Ihearthetfield

gibsons are the most worthless guitars on the face of the planet period they are crap

trying to set a record for how many threads you can troll ?
Quote by deg0ey

Gear:

Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
Quote by CustomCustom
Glad you like it, Ive played various pauls and thats the one Id buy the Classic with 60s neck, does it have 1960 engraved on the pickplate? The last ones I tried in 1993 all had that on the pickplate. A Honeyburst Classic or a PRS Custom22 are my dream/maybe one day guitars.

if its a classic it should have the 1960. i've played standards and classics and even though the classic isn't a AAA maple top...i just like the weight and neck so much better.
Quote by deg0ey

Gear:

Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
Quote by guitarforever<3
I realize you may have sticker shock but you cant really compare your Epi to the Classic, especially thru a Roland 30 cube Plug the Epi and the Classic into a JCM900 somewhere past 7 on the volume knob then make the comparison.
Quote by Ihearthetfield

Wow I think they are overpriced, but crap? Come on now.
Love in technicolour, sprayed out on walls
Well I've been pounding at the pavement
'Til there's nothing at all
I got my cloak and dagger
In a bar room brawl
See the local loves a fighter
Loves a winner to fall
Quote by bonchie1

agiles are good guitars for the money but its not gonna play like a gibson.

Coaching point: learn to recognize both sarcasm and humor when you read it (clue: anything followed by "LOL" or a smilie is likely to be one or both)

I was making reference to the many posters who swear that Agiles own Gibsons for 1/5 the price.
I have compared them through the GREAT amp of my guitar teacher ( a music man with some kick ass tubes prob worth 1,500) and the difference only decreased from my cube30.

Trhough the cube, it sounds better, yes, but not enough to justify the 2,500 spent on it. Through my guitar teachers amp, it sounded almost indentical with my epiphone. And he said that this model was prob a little over average compared to other gibson models.

So my epiphone is a REALLY good guitar. So i'll be upgrading the pickups and tuners and bridge, and keep my epi Also, i might be buying a PRS SE sometime in the future.

Cheers
Quote by mrbreeze
Coaching point: learn to recognize both sarcasm and humor when you read it (clue: anything followed by "LOL" or a smilie is likely to be one or both)

I was making reference to the many posters who swear that Agiles own Gibsons for 1/5 the price.

can't take that chance....you just never know with this forum. that smiley didn't nec. mean to me that you were being sarcastic...

figured it was another agile plug.
Quote by deg0ey

Gear:

Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
Quote by Armored Artist

SIGGED!

oh and nice review and congrats on the guitar!
Quote by TehJermie
you can get that toneblaster stack at the cost of your dignity.

Quote by silhouettica
fine, screw the cheese sandwich if you must...