This has happened to me 3 times now recently, ive broken the G 3 times now in the past month, meaning i have to shell out a lot of money. They have all been rotosound swing heavies. Is it just me or is this incredibly stupid. I know that they shouldnt be breaking this often, it is mainly because recently all i have been playing is very hard slap/pop riffs and exercises. I know that flea sometimes used to break a string or 2 everytime he played a show, but is what im doing unusual?

cheers for the help, would be much appreciated.
who are you to wave your finger......
If you're playing alot of slap/pop you'll tend to break it more often, as popping does a good amount of wear on a string pretty quickly.

It also depends on how much you play. If you're playing more than usual, that might be the reason.

I've broken two G strings in the past week on my bass. But I've been playing for upwards of three hours a day lately. (To try and get away from school work... stupid finals coming up.) It's just that the strings can not hold for long periods of time with what you're playing. I don't think it's anything you should be too worried about.
cool ok basically i practice 2-3 hours a day, but a lot of slap recently and especially popping on that G string.
you're definately popping too hard. I popped 6 in a month when I started getting really really fast slapping but didn't have the technique well enough that I did really really fast slapping without extra hard, unnecessary movements.

Practice popping lighter and they'll stop breaking. Trust me... I know.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
ok cool

in that case would i be right in saying that flea had/has poor slap technique???
I would have a look at your bridge saddle. I had this problem a lot before I realised the bridge saddle wasn't totally smooth so I filed a little and since then I've had no problems. A lot of basses have this problem so try and get a little file and smooth it out.
i used to break strings every 2-3 weeks but then as my technique improved i broke them less often.

ive also been told to rub some lead off a pencil onto the part of the string where it touches the bridge saddles. its supposed to..... i dont know how to explain it, but someone told me and it made sense.
Quote by Virgil_Hart05
to be honest I think his hair looked awesome long, and he was quite sextastic to be honest... I'd do him

haha, you'd do me....

The Tim Sawyer of the Primus Sucks Club. PM StratEnRegalia to join.
Quote by fleabass
ok cool

in that case would i be right in saying that flea had/has poor slap technique???

He has poor technique on paper, but it is very refined and polished. He'll be the first to admit that he is a master of doing it, without "proper" (quote unquote) form.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
Quote by UtBDan
He has poor technique on paper, but it is very refined and polished. He'll be the first to admit that he is a master of doing it, without "proper" (quote unquote) form.

Like a sprinter who looks real stupid running and is doing it all wrong, but dam they go fast. now replace sprintin with bass