Page 1 of 2
taken from SMN News:
About a month ago, Maynard James Keenan told a French magazine that A PERFECT CIRCLE ? the wildly successful side project he fronted between TOOL LPs ? was, if not dead, on life support.

The band, he added, "pushed [it] as far as it could go," and he said he sees the group "playing again together only in a few years to make one or two songs, nothing more." But Keenan stopped short of saying the group had officially called it quits.

Guitarist Billy Howerdel's not so sure what's happening with A PERFECT CIRCLE. The creative strength behind the band has been working on his own material. He's also in the throes of assembling a fresh outfit he'd like to record and tour with. But when it comes to A PERFECT CIRCLE, he'd rather not think about it.

"We don't know what's happening," said Howerdel, one of Keenan's best friends. "[Maynard and I have] talked about it lightly. A few months ago, it was like, 'If we did A PERFECT CIRCLE again, I'd want to do this or that.' It was a benign conversation. I think we both entertain the fact that it could happen again, but for right now we don't have any plans to do it again. We're focusing on what we're doing now. A PERFECT CIRCLE is done for now."

Not long after the release of 2004's Emotive, Howerdel began sculpting and recording material on his own, bouncing ideas off session drummer Josh Freese. He's written 14 tracks, nine of which he's content with.

"I'm doing the same thing I've always done, which is writing songs from the heart, doing what comes naturally to me and writing songs that wouldn't be hard to fit into the A PERFECT CIRCLE mold," he explained. "In the beginning, when I started writing this stuff, I set out to do something very different. But if this is going to be my main focus, I want it to be what feels really right to me, and not just a side project or whatever you want to call it. It's not a huge departure. It just feels like I'm working on music the way I always have, with the difference being I don't have my partner Maynard coming in and singing lyrics over it; I'll be doing all the singing. It feels a bit lonely right now, because you get used to something and you want to go back to that comfort space. This is making me look at music in a different way."

Two weeks ago, Howerdel ? who hasn't found a record label for his forthcoming, yet-untitled project ? teamed up with Freese, Jonny Polanski ("The first bass player we had try out for A PERFECT CIRCLE"), ex-APC guitarist Troy Van Leeuwen, and Freese's brother, keyboardist Jason Freese, "to flush them out in a live rehearsal situation." Of course, Howerdel's not sure his next band's going to feature any of these players.

"I have some people in mind," he said. "There's a couple of people I've heard are looking to put a band together. I have a list of people I'm thinking about using as soon as it's ready."

Howerdel hopes to have his band in place by late summer so he can get back out on the road. He'd like to be able to release the record before year's end. But first he needs to make sure everything about these songs is just right.

"I could probably finish the album in five days, but I want it to be at least as good or better than anything I've done before," Howerdel said.
I dont blame them. TOOL just came out with a new CD and once you do that there is pretty much no time to do anything with other bands. you have to wait after touring, and usually after that the band takes a break and then writes up stuff and heads back to the studio.
That is a shame, Mer De Noms and 13th step were both really good albums. Definately better than the new tool IMO although I do like 10,000 days.
Already made an Apc thread but still i cant believe they are gone... They were such a good band.
1# member of R.I.P layne staley club pm me to join
Coolest people on UG
Alucard ll
Kendawg4TooL
XeNoCiDe730
Thembones 16
Stepco
Ticks&Leeches
theWretched
Sadisticmonkey
michelangelo!
Kartman
DownInAhole
rockon1824
Rhinosaur Bones
well the good news is that Billys solo stuff "wouldn't be hard to fit into the A Perfect Circle mold"
hey guys, I'm not sure if this post will fit in this thread but seeing as it is an APC thread I think its ok...

I have heard (and loved) the songs 3 Libras, The Outsider, Judith, and the Noose from APC and I want to buy one of their albums but I dont know which to get...I have also heard Annihilation, Counting the bodies like sheep...etc, and Passive but I didnt like those the first time I heard them, although I'm sure I'd like them if I heard them more than a few times as with most good songs/music...

So, Mer De Noms or Thirteenth Step?...What do you guys think?

I love Tool and I love Maynards vocals...His range, execution and emotion are amazing and intense, yet beautiful and soothing...Freese is an amazing drummer too I think, his playing really adds to the atmosphere of the songs like in The Noose and The Outsider...Howerdel and/or Van Leeuwen are pretty good too, the guitar work definitely fits the music but it doesnt really call my attention that much...

Wow, I can say all that after hearing only 7 songs? I think I'm going to like this band

btw who was the bassist for APC?...Was it the same guy for the first 2 albums?
"All matter is merely energy condensed into a slow vibration and we're all one consciousness experiencing ourselves subjectively, theres no such thing as death, life is just a dream and we're the imagination of ourselves."
Last edited by XeNoCiDe730 at May 16, 2006,
^ Great questions my wise genocide! Well, first off I think the thirteenth step will last longer for you and is much more accessible. Amazing band completly tied up with tool in the greatest bands. Anyway i believe twiggy ramirez was the bassist for mer de noms and troy was their bassist for thirteenth step.
Coolest people on UG
Alucard ll
Kendawg4TooL
XeNoCiDe730
Thembones 16
Stepco
Ticks&Leeches
theWretched
Sadisticmonkey
michelangelo!
Kartman
DownInAhole
rockon1824
Rhinosaur Bones
^thanks a bunch luke!

yea I've heard that Mer De Noms was a little harder to get into and the majority of the songs on it dont sound like Judith and 3 Libras...and I remember that I heard somewhere that the bassist for Marilyn Manson did some stuff with APC I just wasnt sure...twiggy's cool...yea...
"All matter is merely energy condensed into a slow vibration and we're all one consciousness experiencing ourselves subjectively, theres no such thing as death, life is just a dream and we're the imagination of ourselves."
Quote by XeNoCiDe730
^thanks a bunch luke!

yea I've heard that Mer De Noms was a little harder to get into and the majority of the songs on it dont sound like Judith and 3 Libras...and I remember that I heard somewhere that the bassist for Marilyn Manson did some stuff with APC I just wasnt sure...twiggy's cool...yea...

Always like helping a friend out . Here me when i say this, the thirteenth step is a beautiful masterpiece. Im glad your going to get to enjoy the greatness of APC.
Coolest people on UG
Alucard ll
Kendawg4TooL
XeNoCiDe730
Thembones 16
Stepco
Ticks&Leeches
theWretched
Sadisticmonkey
michelangelo!
Kartman
DownInAhole
rockon1824
Rhinosaur Bones
Quote by Lukeisonfire
^ Great questions my wise genocide! Well, first off I think the thirteenth step will last longer for you and is much more accessible. Amazing band completly tied up with tool in the greatest bands. Anyway i believe twiggy ramirez was the bassist for mer de noms and troy was their bassist for thirteenth step.

actually Twiggy Ramirez played bass on 13th Step, Paz Lenchantin played on Mer de Noms, and looked damn hot while doing so! Troy van Leeuwen played guitar on Mer de Noms, but was replaced by James Iha on 13th Step.

btw, i did think you started an APC thread, but i couldnt find it, hence the new one

Quote by XeNoCiDe730
...I have also heard Annihilation, Counting the bodies like sheep...etc, and Passive but I didnt like those the first time I heard them...
you didnt like Passive?! booooo.
also, van Leeuwen didnt contribute anything to the band in a writing sense, im 99% sure that Billy wrote all the music for Mer de Noms.
Last edited by Alucard II at May 16, 2006,
I have no doubt that Billy will write good music with his album. Hey. he said he want heavier music from APC, Maynard was the one going soft (which is not bad, different side to him).
I like APC, but I hate to say, I'm glad. More Maynard time for Tool
"you hear people say, I don't care if people are black, white, green or purple. Ah come on now, green or purple? you've got to draw the line somewere" - Mitch Headburg.
Geno,id go with 13th step(one of my favorite all-time albums)although my favorite APC song is 3 libras off mer de noms,13th step is just better in my opinion.Mer de noms=great album for the singles(and a couple of exceptions) and 13th step=great album peroid.
Founder of The Reverend Maynard Club-save the carrots!
PM me or diminishedfaith to join.

PryingOpenMyThirdEye
Well..obviously by my name I like APC.

But APC are on hiatus as of the moment. And (can't remember her name, from The Gathering) played bass on Mer De Noms atleast on Judith.

I recommend 13th Step as it is the more obvious choice for being easier to get into.

But Tool was always so much better and there were things Maynard could do and say with Tool that he couldn't with APC. I'm much happier with him back in Tool than with APC. Sad to say thought that it might be his last record ever.
Quote by Bodom_Shredder7
i hate you mer der. i hope you get a boner and accidently fall on it.

Quote by rocknrollstar
Excuse my stupidity , but what is a urethra ?

Im guessing anus.
^ you say APC are on hiatus, MJK says they're on life support. no offence, but i'd lean more towards believing what he says
as i said earlier, Paz Lenchantin played bass on Mer de Noms. as for TOOL, they have one more record left on their contract. so fingers crossed, touch wood, etc etc, we should get at least one more offering from them
Quote by Alucard II

you didnt like Passive?! booooo.
also, van Leeuwen didnt contribute anything to the band in a writing sense, im 99% sure that Billy wrote all the music for Mer de Noms.

no I didnt like passive but I only heard it once...How many great/good songs have you loved the first time you heard it that still have a good replay value?...Yes there are many that are great that you love the first time you hear em but some you have to hear multiple times to appreciate them...I mean, I didnt like Disposition by Tool the first time I heard it but now I pop in Lateralus at random times in the day just to hear that song...and then I usually listen to the whole album but only after listening to disposition...

*opens Windows Media Player to put on Disposition... *

anyways...I guess I'll have to warm up to that song and the album...or maybe I just wont like it...I'll probably like the album when I get it though...I went to get it today but Best Buy didnt have "Thirteenth Step", they only had "Amotion"...whatever that is...damn them...

and yea sorry I guess I got my stuff mixed up with Leeuwen or whatever...as you can tell I dont know much about the band...
Last edited by XeNoCiDe730 at May 17, 2006,
Quote by XeNoCiDe730
no I didnt like passive but I only heard it once...How many great/good songs have you loved the first time you heard it that still have a good replay value?...Yes there are many that are great that you love the first time you hear em but some you have to hear multiple times to appreciate them...I mean, I didnt like Disposition by Tool the first time I heard it but now I pop in Lateralus at random times in the day just to hear that song...and then I usually listen to the whole album but only after listening to disposition...

*opens Windows Media Player to put on Disposition... *

anyways...I guess I'll have to warm up to that song and the album...or maybe I just wont like it...I'll probably like the album when I get it though...I went to get it today but Best Buy didnt have "Thirteenth Step", they only had "Amotion"...whatever that is...damn them...

and yea sorry I guess I got my stuff mixed up with Leeuwen or whatever...as you can tell I dont know much about the band...

Amotion is a cd/dvd pack with remixes on the cd and all thier videos with commentary on the cd along with a live performance of The Noose .
Its a cool little package!
Quote by XeNoCiDe730
whatever floats your boat! i loved Passive from the first time i heard it, especially seen as eMOTIVE was a mediocre album, Passive really stood out to me.

and i whole-heartedly agree with unplugged, the live version of The Noose is ****ing great!
Quote by Alucard II
well the good news is that Billys solo stuff "wouldn't be hard to fit into the A Perfect Circle mold"

And he does possess a voice that's eerily similar to Mr Keenan's. Hmm.
Encore God & Asomodai- UG JHS Brotherhood

Encore God: fighting UG Zeppelin-centrism since 2002.
Yeah i hope to see APC with new material, but i think right now is Tool's time to shine for now
Is there any babes on this thing?
Quote by thembones16
Geno,id go with 13th step(one of my favorite all-time albums)although my favorite APC song is 3 libras off mer de noms,13th step is just better in my opinion.Mer de noms=great album for the singles(and a couple of exceptions) and 13th step=great album peroid.

Holy **** thembones is back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Welcome back friend
Coolest people on UG
Alucard ll
Kendawg4TooL
XeNoCiDe730
Thembones 16
Stepco
Ticks&Leeches
theWretched
Sadisticmonkey
michelangelo!
Kartman
DownInAhole
rockon1824
Rhinosaur Bones
Quote by dunlopguy14
Yeah i hope to see APC with new material, but i think right now is Tool's time to shine for now
its always Tools turn to shine. as good as APC are/were, one fact will always remain;
TOOL > APC
^ well that is true in ways man. I think that APC shows maynards more personal side * just forget about wings lol* and much more accesible. They are'nt as talented but when they work together good stuff happens. TO me APC=tool. They are bolth perfect bands.
Coolest people on UG
Alucard ll
Kendawg4TooL
XeNoCiDe730
Thembones 16
Stepco
Ticks&Leeches
theWretched
Sadisticmonkey
michelangelo!
Kartman
DownInAhole
rockon1824
Rhinosaur Bones
Quote by Lukeisonfire
Holy **** thembones is back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Welcome back friend

Thank you Luke.

PryingOpenMyThirdEye
No prob man :}. You made my day. Thembones being banned for Ug is the equivilent of being stuck up of paris hiltons hole................. lol sorry
Coolest people on UG
Alucard ll
Kendawg4TooL
XeNoCiDe730
Thembones 16
Stepco
Ticks&Leeches
theWretched
Sadisticmonkey
michelangelo!
Kartman
DownInAhole
rockon1824
Rhinosaur Bones
wow...

I purchased "Thirteenth Step" on Thursday (2 days ago) and its freakin amazing...I've heard it three times so far...The night I bought it, the next morning at school (who studies for finals when they have a new CD? ) and today riding in my dads truck to and from work...I cant say I dislike any song on the album except "Vanishing"...I dont really see how that is a good song or how it contributes to the album but I've only heard it three times so I will probably find out the more I hear the whole album...

And whats with "The Nurse Who Loved Me"?...I mean, I love the song (I dunno why, I just fell in love with the song the second time I heard it...it was like a musical epiphany...lol) but its not what I'd expect from Maynard, lyrics-wise...However, I know next to nothing about the guy so I guess I it is just Maynard's (un)usual self...

Also, "Pet" (one of my favorite songs off the album) is where they got the idea for the song "Counting Bodies Like Sheep to the Rythm of the War Drums?"...Because they share some of the same lyrics I think...Like the title and "Go Back to sleep", "They dont give a **** about you like I do."...etc...I'm just wondering if this is where the song came from or w/e...
Quote by Lukeisonfire

Welcome back friend

sorry for the double post but where is Diminished Faith?...Wasnt he like the co-founder of the Rev. Maynard Club? ...And he was a very frequent poster in the Tool thread from what I remember...just wondering...
Quote by XeNoCiDe730
Also, "Pet" (one of my favorite songs off the album) is where they got the idea for the song "Counting Bodies Like Sheep to the Rythm of the War Drums?"...Because they share some of the same lyrics I think...Like the title and "Go Back to sleep", "They dont give a **** about you like I do."...etc...I'm just wondering if this is where the song came from or w/e...
yes, Counting Bodies Like Sleep... is APC RAPING their own song. i love Pet, i wish id never heard the remix.
Quote by XeNoCiDe730
sorry for the double post but where is Diminished Faith?...Wasnt he like the co-founder of the Rev. Maynard Club? ...And he was a very frequent poster in the Tool thread from what I remember...just wondering...

Yeah i know havent heard from him in a while.

PryingOpenMyThirdEye
That makes me sad. I did like APC though i think there last album wasn't as magnificant as it should've been. I think they are good for at least one more great album, all we can do is cross our fingers. But on a sidenote I don't know if you all noticed but on 10,000 days you can hear a more APCish sound in their music, which i really don't like. Also I really disliked the way 10,000 days focused more on single songs instead of the groups of 2 like Parabol/Parabola and Useful Idiot/Forty Six and Two. I really enjoyed the buildups and releases that were so prevalent from their previous albums.
"I am Jack's raging bile duct."
^It seems that some people are slightly unhappy with it in that sense as some people were looking for longer, more epic songs. But I'm happy with the way it is now though, I dig the whole combined tracks thing and whatnot, but I like when they have a more clear cut track listing, it feels like I'm getting more out of it, like there is more variety that way.
Quote by Fudswads
That makes me sad. I did like APC though i think there last album wasn't as magnificant as it should've been. I think they are good for at least one more great album, all we can do is cross our fingers. But on a sidenote I don't know if you all noticed but on 10,000 days you can hear a more APCish sound in their music, which i really don't like. Also I really disliked the way 10,000 days focused more on single songs instead of the groups of 2 like Parabol/Parabola and Useful Idiot/Forty Six and Two. I really enjoyed the buildups and releases that were so prevalent from their previous albums.

Wings/10000 Days
Lost Keys/Rosetta
Intension/Right In Two
Quote by Alucard II
Wings/10000 Days
Lost Keys/Rosetta
Intension/Right In Two

Noone outsmarts you Alucard,when it comes to tool.Yes you told him.

PryingOpenMyThirdEye
Why thank you.

PryingOpenMyThirdEye
ok heres a question about APC:

I purchased my first APC album about a month and a half ago and I fell in love with it almost immediately...I've read some lyrics and attempted to interpret their overall meanings (which I suck at btw, ) and have concluded that the majority of the songs on the album are about addiction in some way or another (not a big deal as that is fairly obvious)...But I still have not made any connection between the album, the songs and the pictures in the booklet...Why is that naked blonde lady there and what is up with those weird symbols?

Any thoughts or theories?

just thought I'd revive the APC thread since they're like my favorite band right now, I listen to the album at least once a day, sometimes 3 or 4 times a day! (I have no life )
Last edited by XeNoCiDe730 at Jul 1, 2006,
APC is good, but now more Tool time!
The Proverbial Mind Spread of The Primus Sucks Club. PM StratEnRegalia to join.
Originally posted by Draken
we're not nerds thank you very much i have a very respectable 40k imperial guard army.
And so, yet another of my favorite rock bands disappears into history.
Quote by rocktolive
One time, I swear my PB&J sandwich talked to me... maybe it was food poisoning?
Page 1 of 2