I'm looking into getting a metal 1/2 stack. I'm not sure on what to get. I already have a Peavey Valveking stack but it's not metal enough and I don't know if an OD would work. My budget is around £1500. Could an OD work though? Has anyone tried one with a VK?
My Gear:

Schecter Hellraiser C-1 FR (EMG 85/81)
Mesa Boogie Stiletto Deuce
LOPO Custom 2x12 (Celestion V30s)
808? someone said a TS9 would be better
My Gear:

Get an overdrive it will make it sound heavier i'm sure since alot of metal artists rely on a jcm800 with a boost (on its own its like classic rock territory).
Tunes, gear and other random stuff can be found in my "UG" profile if you click my name
first stop.

go to a shop which has one. and also has od's and EQ pedals. Explain to them that you have the valveking and want to see if an overdrive and/or EQ pedal will make it sufficiently metal.

here's where the plan could come unstuck.

DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES TELL THEM THAT YOU HAVE £1500 TO SPEND ON A NEW AMP IF THIS DOES NOT MAKE IT SUFFICIENTLY METAL

If you do, they might just try to sell you a new amp.

Anyway, try out the OD and EQ into the valveking. If it doesn't make it sound sufficiently metal, come back and repost. And remember to put the overdrive pedal over the OVERDRIVE channel of the amp- and set the pedal level to maximum, and then the drive/gain on the pedal to taste, so that as much boost as possible is coming from the tubes.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ i liked the bold bit myself, lol. Even though it's there (50%) for comedy purposes.

But
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Krankensteinzzzzzzzzz
if you have belief in ur soul and jesus you can do anything
dont like them
My Gear:

Maybe a Laney since you are in the UK?
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
not too fond of them either. I want mesa or marshall maybe a 5150 but if i can get a good sound with OD pedal, I won't be buying one
My Gear:

I have a vox tonelab that I play through my Peavey Transtube 212... I get several different sounds... from mesa, marshall, to vox.
I really like the Peavey XXX -Listen to Stone Sour, he uses it with the stock distortion... has a nice crunchy sound... and musicianfriend has sound bites on their website.
Quote by tabber666
not too fond of them either. I want mesa or marshall maybe a 5150 but if i can get a good sound with OD pedal, I won't be buying one

if youre in the UK then good luck getting ahold of a 5150.

a Mark IV or a Dual Recto would be good.

if you go marshall it would have to be either a Dual or Triple Super Lead.

also make sure you get a cab with V30s lol they rule.
greety to quote derek. go sit in the corner and think about what you have done.

engl screamed joel. ENGL!!!!!
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
www.purevolume.com/mordecaiaus
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
Yeah definately try a booster of some kind, TS9 seem popular but I had a TS7 which I heard is similar, and I hated it, it was too muddy and bland. Maxon OD-9 or Keeley SD-1 seem to sound good Or yeah, get an Engl..
Quote by kurdtkobaign
if youre in the UK then good luck getting ahold of a 5150.

a Mark IV or a Dual Recto would be good.

if you go marshall it would have to be either a Dual or Triple Super Lead.

also make sure you get a cab with V30s lol they rule.

i can get a 5150 easy loads of places have them
My Gear: