Hey guys, ive got a les paul studio and the glossy neck is pissin me off gettin all sticky n ****, even tho i clean it before and after playin, is there any way to take the gloss of and leave the wood underneath, or would that ruin the neck?
sand it. or use finish stripper, just be careful not to get it on the rest of the guitar.
The Gear:

Custom Strat
Mesa Boogie Stiletto Ace
Fulltone OCD
Electro Harmonix Small Clone Chorus
Dunlop Crybaby Classic
MXR EVH-117 Flanger
Fulltone Soul Bender
Rub it down with #0000 steel wool. Don't use paint stripper or sandpaper, you're not trying to strip the paint off.
'Aim at perfection in everything, though in most things it is unattainable. However, they who aim at it, and persevere, will come much nearer to it than those whose despondency and laziness make them give it up as unattainable.'
well actually i am trying to get the paint off, i want the back off the neck to be just wood. Plus, you think i should do this myself or jus take it to a tech?
You can do it yourself if you think you know what you're doing. It's not too hard. Just sand it down. Start with a low grit and work your way up to something like 400 or so. Oh, and I shouldn't have to mention this, but don't use a sanding block.
Quote by low_slinger
well actually i am trying to get the paint off, i want the back off the neck to be just wood. Plus, you think i should do this myself or jus take it to a tech?

No you don't want to take the finish off. Just wood on a neck is a really bad idea. If you didn't need to have a finish on the neck then they wouldn't have been putting a finish on the necks for hundreds of years! Do as alge said. If it still gets sticky then rub some true oil gunstock finish on the neck (you can buy it in the gun department at walmart) and call it good. If you take the finish all the way off the neck then your neck will warp and you will ruin your guitar.

Just sayin'
Not taking any online orders.
yes daniel a bare wood neck. and with those pictures its proof i dont need a finish, or maybe i do but i sure as hell dont need the back of the neck with paint on it. I want my guitar with a bare wood neck, can you tell me how to do it instead of telling me that i can't when the zakk wylde model has it.
Quote by low_slinger
yes daniel a bare wood neck. and with those pictures its proof i dont need a finish, or maybe i do but i sure as hell dont need the back of the neck with paint on it. I want my guitar with a bare wood neck, can you tell me how to do it instead of telling me that i can't when the zakk wylde model has it.

That's proof of absolute nothing. There's still finish on the neck, it's just satin clear coat, but there's no color coat under them.
'Aim at perfection in everything, though in most things it is unattainable. However, they who aim at it, and persevere, will come much nearer to it than those whose despondency and laziness make them give it up as unattainable.'
If you want a neck like that you'll need to sand off the color, apply some sanding sealer, sand smooth with high grit sand paper, and spray on satin clear. I'm not completely sure what you do to finish with satin clear, but I'm sure Algee could tell you.
Quote by AlGeeEater
That's proof of absolute nothing. There's still finish on the neck, it's just satin clear coat, but there's no color coat under them.

Yup... Or they could have used tung oil, but that still counts and a finish. Anyway, it is very important that you do have something on the neck to protect the wood.
Not taking any online orders.
If you don't want it finished again, just rub tung oil into it. Lots of people do that instead of finishing the neck.
Agree with the Tung Oil ... make sure it's 100% or Pure Tung Oil, not the ones with additives. The added bonus is that it does not form a glossy finish no matter the number of coats. Unlike other oils, it does not darken or mold and best of all, it's a natural polymerizing finish.