when bending a string and you bend so far you slightly hit the string above the string your bending, should it always make a slight noise when your finger comes off it? or can this be avoided with practice?
when irish eyes are smiling, you've had to too much to drink cus eyes dont smile, mouths do
Practice using your picking hand to mute the strings that you aren't using. When you get good at doing this, the string you hit while bending won't sound.
When bending, you need to bend to the next note in the scale (unless you want to bend two tones ). Also, practice string bends making sure you bend EBG strings up and DAE strings down. Also, make sure you listen to the bend and compare to the note you are bending to. Most people I know bend a string just for the sake of it without precision.
Sat in a lab, curing diseases. They actually LET me play with chemicals!
What the hell? Slightly hit the string above? Even just a full bend requires you to push it higher than the string above. Don't mute the strings, it'll slow you down, just practise not sounding the strings above it.
Yea, you shouldn't have to mute it with your fretting hand, that would slow you WAY down if you were trying to play some like 15 nps. Just practice, maybe get a more experienced friend to help you out and see what you're doing wrong.

Guitardude19 : There isn't a special direction you have to bend the strings, just whatever is easiest for each situation.
To see a World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour
I used to have that problem all the time, but eventually it just got the the point where I automatically muted the next string or had enough control to stop it sounding. Just practice, I guess.
Quote by iain4444

Guitardude19 : There isn't a special direction you have to bend the strings, just whatever is easiest for each situation.

Lol Im jus going on what I was taught that when bending a string, you bend to the next note in the scale (obviously when the situation merits it).
Guitardude19 : I'm not sure if you got what i mean or not, i was reffering to the "Also, practice string bends making sure you bend EBG strings up and DAE strings down." There isn't a set or better way (up/down wise) to bend strings. Obviously you must bend to either a semitone or tone, or more. You can bend to whatever pitch you desire, creating the desired effect. Hope that clears that up
To see a World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour
Lol my bad I misread, that is true that the direction is of no importance (except on the E strings since you could bend off the neck... oh how many embarrassing times have I done that) but my personal preference is to bend in certain directions because I find it easier.