hey all, i have a question about the THD Hotplate. i have a peavey 6505 212 combo and would like to use a hotplate to get amazing metal tones i've been hearing about. so a couple questions.

1) can i actually do this? i have seen in the back of the amp, the 1/4 inch speaker jack that connects the speakers to the amp which is what im supposed to connect.

2) what impedance would i need for the amp it says the combo can go into 8 or 16 ohms?

thanks in advance.
GEAR:
Peavey 6505
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez WD7 Wah
custom 5150 les paul

check out my first guitar build, the razorback!
Official Member of the I <3 Schecter's Club, PM Schecter-06 to join.
1. Yes, it will go between the amp's output and the speaker. You will plug the speaker cable from the speakers into the hotplate, then another cable from the hotplate to the output jack on your amp. It sits between the amp and speaker(s), and removes some of the power going to the speakers, and turns it into heat.

2. you will use the same impedance the amp sees with the stock speakers. So, for example, if the stock speakers wired together give you 8 ohms at the amp output(2 - 16ohm wired in parrallel = 8ohm), you would use an 8ohm hotplate. You will have to determine what load impedance the amp is seeing now with your 2 combo speakers. Most likely, it will be whatever the amp is set on stock.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
im not sure about speaker impedance and wiring. does anyone else know the impedance and wiring of the 6505?
GEAR:
Peavey 6505
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez WD7 Wah
custom 5150 les paul

well, I just looked at the manual on Peavey's site, and I didn't see a speaker jack for the internal speakers. If there isn't a cable running from your speakers, it's not going to be as simple as plugging it in, you would need to do some rewiring. Does your amp have a speaker jack that the internal speakers are plugged into?
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
just checked and yes there is a cable that hooks the 2 speakers into the back of the amp. the two speakers are 8 ohms each and are wired in parallel
GEAR:
Peavey 6505
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez WD7 Wah
custom 5150 les paul

you're positive they are 8ohms wired in parallel? That would make a 4ohm load the amp is seeing. How do you know they are 8ohm in parallel?
amp clips
amp vids
http://f3.yahoofs.com/users/430cbd4dzea1ce1ed/7227/__sr_/5a37re2.jpg?phowkaEBzRzcOK0f

http://f3.yahoofs.com/users/430cbd4dzea1ce1ed/7227/__sr_/9080re2.jpg?phowkaEBc6Soq.V1

just took those hope they work,the speakers both have stickers on themsaying 8 ohm and fromscience class theylook as to be wired in parallel.
GEAR:
Peavey 6505
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez WD7 Wah
custom 5150 les paul

actually, I think that's serial. It looks like the red lip on the speaker jacks is probably positive, and the black negative, so it's going cable positive to speaker 1 positive -> speaker 1 ground to speaker 2 positive -> speaker 2 ground to cable negative.

That would make a 16ohm load the head is seeing, which makes sense since it's rated at 60W into 8 or 16ohms.

Also, that external speaker jack on the back would make sense if it was wired in parrallel with the internal jack. It says minimum of 16ohms right? That would give you 8 ohms load if you had a 16ohm cab plugged in, along with the internal speakers. That's if the external jack is wired in parrallel with the internal speakers.
amp clips
amp vids
so yes i can do this with a 16 ohm hotplate?
GEAR:
Peavey 6505
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez WD7 Wah
custom 5150 les paul

yes would be my best guess without knowing more. Judging by your pics, it's (2) 8ohm speakers wired in series for 16ohm at the jack. Just make sure it's wired like that to be sure.

Parallel wiring would be:
positive cable lead connected to both speaker positive terminals
negative cable lead connected to both speaker negative terminals

Series would be:
positive cable lead connected to speaker 1 positive terminal
speaker 1 negative treminal connected to speaker 2 positive terminal
speaker 2 negative terminal connected to negative cable lead
amp clips
amp vids
and i see that you have a pink hotplate how is that working for you. where do you keep it, where does it sound good, and finally about how loud is it whenit sounds good?
GEAR:
Peavey 6505
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez WD7 Wah
custom 5150 les paul

I love mine, I can't imagine a 100W tube amp without one. I keep it where it is in the picture, it just sits on top of my amp. A cable goes from the amp speaker out to the hotplate in, and then a cable from the hotplate out, to my cab. I keep it on the -12dB setting usually, but that's still a little loud. Nowhere near where it would be without it though. It seems to be the best balance between tone and volume reduction for my setup. As you attenuate higher, you start to lose more tone, that's the nature of any attenuator though. I do like the extra features of the hotplate which try and compensate for those losses though, like the bright and deep switches. The -16dB setting is the only one where the variable pot comes into use, so you can attenuate all the way down to silent mode if you wanted. On the -16dB setting, I can attenuate it down to about TV levels and still have it sound decent.
amp clips
amp vids