So like...my bass is screwed up (bent truss rod ) and I'm going out to buy a new one, but i dont know enough basses really. The only bass I really am considering is a 4-string, Stingray 3-band, regular pup. But I keep thinking that there is something better and that has a more balanced tone. I was thinking about a fender jaguar or an american fender jazz. Thats all thats really come to mind. I dont like warwicks, mainly because they look like penis'. I kinda like a spectors and but they are really expensive (the good ones anyway).

So like other than that i dont know what other brands to look into, or other types by the same make (not bongos, they are just too much). Maybe a Mustang or Sterling MM? I dunno im pretty confused so help
Its better to regret the things you did, rather than the things you didnt do.
But if it's just a bent truss rod, you can get it fixed.... Cost me **** all 'cause I was on a years warantee.
I've driven 102,888 extra miles for every 1 mile an environmentalist has walked....
Bongos are too much? they're less than Stingrays..... wtf?

Music Man StingRay 4-String Electric Bass Guitar
Few 4-string electric basses are as flat-out cool or have as much powerful tone as the Music Man StingRay. Introduced in 1976, the StingRay was the...
Price: $1,165.50 - $1,288.50 Eligible for Free Shipping!

Music Man Bongo 4-String Bass with 2 Humbucker Pickups
The selected basswood on the Music Man 4-String Bongo Bass Guitar is carved into THE most distinctive body style ever very well balanced and...
Price: $1,232.00 Eligible for Free Shipping!

MF. Yeah, there are cheaper SR models availible but... too much is $200 more than what you want? dude... wtf.

lol
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
Quote by UtBDan

Music Man StingRay 4-String Electric Bass Guitar
Few 4-string electric basses are as flat-out cool or have as much powerful tone as the Music Man StingRay. Introduced in 1976, the StingRay was the...
Price: $1,165.50 - $1,288.50 Eligible for Free Shipping!

Music Man Bongo 4-String Bass with 2 Humbucker Pickups
The selected basswood on the Music Man 4-String Bongo Bass Guitar is carved into THE most distinctive body style ever very well balanced and...
Price: $1,232.00 Eligible for Free Shipping!

MF. Yeah, there are cheaper SR models availible but... too much is $200 more than what you want? dude... wtf.

lol

Maybe he means "too much" as in it's too wild shaped or sounding for him?

And Kevin, if you've got 1300ish to spend, go to the music store and play EVERYTHING (in and out of your price range.) The best way to learn about basses is to play more.
haha
I thought about that. But I guess I just dont consider it that wild being I own it.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory

Quote by waterproofpie
Quote by UtBDan

Not price wise, the sound on bongos is super fat. I need something a little more mellow. those two pickups are powerful

edit: also the truss rod in my bass is like S curved. Its straight in one spot and bent in another, the straight again. I dunno if thats repairable.
Last edited by Felas_kevin at May 16, 2006,
you can turn down the fatness really easily... thats... where the two pickups come in handy. lol.
Quote by casualty01

BA in Music theory

Quote by waterproofpie
Quote by UtBDan
you can turn down the fatness really easily... thats... where the two pickups come in handy. lol.

True. Thats one of the other reason why i was leaning away from String rays. Only one PU.

Does anyone know anything about fender jaguars?
^ Just a jazz with active 'lectronics, and a totally different vibe. Try one, and since you dont like the uber fat HH vibe, possibly a Jazz.
Member of UG's Keyboardists club. PM 4string-tsurigi to join.

Jimbo Wallace of the Godlike, Archaic, But Sexy Instrument Players. PM me to join.
Quote by Felas_kevin
True. Thats one of the other reason why i was leaning away from String rays. Only one PU.

Does anyone know anything about fender jaguars?

they make 2 pickup rays, you know.

But Im a huge MusicMan fan. Always have been probably always will be. I want to own lots of other basses, but I dont think anything than the Bongo HH I have will ever be my top dog. Although a p-bass, a 6 string, and a fretless would definately get some face time... for pure 4 string fretted I think Im about done with a Bongo and a good P, and I think I've finally figured out how to imitate the P properly. Its just a matter of finding my own tone on it... and I'm working on it. lol
Quote by casualty01

BA in Music theory

Quote by waterproofpie
yeah i know MM makes basses with two pickups. I think i would prefer a bass with two pups just for the added versatility
Quote by UtBDan
...for pure 4 string fretted I think Im about done with a Bongo and a good P, and I think I've finally figured out how to imitate the P properly. Its just a matter of finding my own tone on it... and I'm working on it. lol

I think you might have a problem finding your tone on a p-bass dan. They aren't really made for slap/pop, it's quite hard to get a good funk tone (I've been trying). Great metal slap sound I must say.

But I've found that using hard finger strokes with a lowered action helps get that funk sound out of them. Give that a try.

Back on topic, I recently tried a Jaguar Bass. Felt like a chunky J bass to me, it wasn't anything to special. The sound was generally flat, and dull. The only thing I could imagine using it for would be root note picking, and grunge (some metal also.)

But I've found people by Jaguars based on the fact that they have tons of switches/knobs/levers that all serve the same basic purpose. It's a guitar/bass that is made for looks.
when I said "finding my own tone on it", I was referring to the Bongo. I want a P for like 2 songs that call for it. The rest is Bongodom.
Quote by casualty01

BA in Music theory

Quote by waterproofpie