Do any of you much wiser bassists know any 3 or 4 finger technique exercises? I'm getting bored with 2 fingers.
Oh crap!
?

Erm, just play scales using the three fingers (i=index, m=middle, r=ring) in strict patterns

first imr, then imrm, then rmi, then rmim do plenty of practice of all these patterns just to get into using the third finger. Then choose songs that they fit the time signature of well and play them through using the chosen technique (strictly!)

And that's a start
From the title of this thread, I thought it was going to be about something else...
Quote by smb
?

Erm, just play scales using the three fingers (i=index, m=middle, r=ring) in strict patterns

first imr, then imrm, then rmi, then rmim do plenty of practice of all these patterns just to get into using the third finger. Then choose songs that they fit the time signature of well and play them through using the chosen technique (strictly!)

And that's a start

really? if i need to use three, i always play ring middle index in that order. usually i only need to play with three if its a very fast bassline and using only two fingers would tire them out. practice it enough, and you'll fall into a sort of "galloping" triplets kinof sound. thats been my experience anyway.
Quote by Mr. T
"Mr. T defines love as the reluctance to murder. If you're still alive, it's because Mr. T loves you."
I mean play through some scales using one pattern, and then another just to get used to using three fingers and find an order that suits you.
You DO NOT want to turn into triplets and galloping. Get a metranome and play along in beat because once your fingers (like mine still do) start to get into the pattern of going 123 in the space of 4 it's horrible to try and break.
Since I'm new to bass.. I have a habit of using only my index finger.

Should I be alternating between fingers?
Quote by WashBurn!
Since I'm new to bass.. I have a habit of using only my index finger.

Should I be alternating between fingers?

Yeah the standard finger technique alternates between ring and middle fingers on the right hand.

However to increase speed some players start using the ring finger as well and in some cases little/pinky fingers are used too but less commonly because they are so much weaker.
Quote by SaXXoN
You DO NOT want to turn into triplets and galloping. Get a metranome and play along in beat because once your fingers (like mine still do) start to get into the pattern of going 123 in the space of 4 it's horrible to try and break.

arrg. please understand difference between galloping and triplets.

if you were to play a galloping bassline: it would be Duh -- duh duh DUH -- duh duh DUH

etc. with the -- meaning rest (or you could omit the rest but say the capitalized Duh's are eights and the others are sixteenths etc.)

if you were to play straight triplets: Duh duh duh Duh duh duh Duh duh duh

there is no rest in triplets. thats what a lot of peopel assume, that triplets and galloping are the samething, which no, they are for sure NOT.

the difference between straight eigth notes and straight triplet eigths is that eight notes means that in one bar you'd get 8 notes, with triplets you'd get 12, but you'd still fall on the beat, and everything works.

either way its a continous string of notes.

GALLOPING is whne you rest/have varying rythmn (think iron maiden). this is what i use my 3 fingers for often, but by no means am i limited to gallopping with 3 fings.

but i agree with what you're TRYING to say: if you decide to use 3 fingers, dont try to make yourself only do galloping at the start, if you cant hold continous triplets smoothly, work on that before you try playing Run To The Hills
I knew there was a difference and I had a fair idea of what it was but thanks for making sure it's all cleared up for me
Quote by WashBurn!
Woah, that's hard.

I'm just gonna stick with my index finger for now

I used to do that, still do on some occasions because I quite recently started 2 fingering. if you wanna stick with it, go for it, James Jamerson of Motown used only his index.
I only started playing bass 3 weeks ago, although i've been playing about 5 hours a day lol, and I started playing using just my index finger. I would advise not to get into the habit, as although at first it's easier just to use your index, you may find when you try to play faster pieces or pieces that are much easier played with two - three fingers you'll struggle.

I see it that eventually you will progress to using all four fingers, so why not get into the habit early? Even when playing relatively simple songs that could be done with one or two fingers, I try to use three and my pinky finger occasionally just to get into the habit, so as when I try and play extremely fast pieces or things that are easier played using all of your fingers later on, I will find it alot easier and pick it up quicker.

Not to mention you look alot cooler using all of your fingers
Quote by alexpar90
I only started playing bass 3 weeks ago, although i've been playing about 5 hours a day lol, and I started playing using just my index finger. I would advise not to get into the habit, as although at first it's easier just to use your index, you may find when you try to play faster pieces or pieces that are much easier played with two - three fingers you'll struggle.

I see it that eventually you will progress to using all four fingers, so why not get into the habit early? Even when playing relatively simple songs that could be done with one or two fingers, I try to use three and my pinky finger occasionally just to get into the habit, so as when I try and play extremely fast pieces or things that are easier played using all of your fingers later on, I will find it alot easier and pick it up quicker.

Not to mention you look alot cooler using all of your fingers

im going to go ahead and assume that since you've only been playing 3 weeks, and you're talking about using your pinky, that youre talking about your FRETTING (usually LEFT hand), whereas we're talking about the PLUCKING (right hand) .

all bassists should use 4 fingers from their fretting hand i think, no matter what. (at least be able to IMO).

from the right hand, only a few can pull of only index playing, playing with 2 fingers is the norm, a lot more people are playing with 2 and 3 now (like myself), and some have ventured on to 4 to acheive great speeds.
I do believe he was talking playing hands... but maybe not.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
^ you could take it either way i guess, but he said:
"I see it that eventually you will progress to using all four fingers, so why not get into the habit early? "

and then i thought "umm barely ANYONE 'eventually' progresses to four fingers plucking hand".
I played with 4 for a couple months, and then realized it barely made me faster so i stopped.
Proud Member Of The Bass Militia

PM Nutter_101 To Join
I only play with my index and middle finger. I'm gettin' starting real lessons on Wednesday.. so I'll learn.
That second one is particularly good.

Sorry about the second post.
If you have a geeter practise on that first because it is easier. I prefer RingMiddleIndex.

Used to go out with a girl they called 3 fingers once..