Alright I have been playing metal for awhile now, got a lot of it down, quick hammers ons, pulloffs and sliding, and inbetween on the sweep picking and the tapping, but anyways, just wondering what your guitar playing techniques for playing metal, or just any ramdon fast songs. I mean what pick sizes you guys prefer. Thats the thing im stuck on the most. I use to use everything over the size of 1 mm, but then I notice its hard to do alternate strumming, which is extremely common in metal, and strumming up and down is very hard with a thick pick, so I for the first time dropped my pick size down today when playing metal to a .48mm .. kinda helps but still not nailing the alternate quick strokes at the exact same time. Any help, advice or just imput would be must appreciated. Thanks,
i used to use dunlop tortex .88's, but my guitar teacher gave me some dunlop dr500 picks, now i use a 1.14mm of those
Fender Jim Root Signature Telecaster
Martin Westside Custom Edition
Peavey 6505
Peavey XXX Cab
ISP Decimator Prorack G
Sennheiser EW172 G3
Sennheiser wireless IEM
Ibanez TS9DX
Boss TU-2 Tuner
MY BAND:
http://www.myspace.com/thedirtyyouth
Fender medium, because it makes for an easy slip off of the string once i pick it. Great for tremolo picking. But if you're playing metal, for god fukin sakes, make it something different from barr chords and running simple scales up and down the A and D string. I swear thats all Black dahlia murder does and all bands like them.
i use blue tortex 1mm. They are the best. not to flimsy and to hard but really sturdy.

Gear:

Epiphone SG
Ibanez RG 120
Marshall MG DFX 100
Fender DG 11

i use planet wave 1.0 (heavy), any thicker then that and i break strings. Plus they are pretty soft so they get a nice pocket after a few songs
GEAR:
[
MESA TRIPLE REC
CUSTOM PEDAL BOARD
(BOSS DD-6, CE-5, TU-2, NS-2, OC-3, DUNLOP WAH, LINE 6 ECHOPARK, DIGITECH WHAMMY, Rocktron Banshee)
(2)LES PAUL KIT GUITARS W/EMG 81+85
IBANEZ SABER
SENNHEISER WIRELESS
green tortex, electric and blue tortex acoustic.

use everything from sweeps to slides. try racing from the 20 to the 1st fret, it has a more constant sound and looks impressive:P

Locrisch, and Minor scales are good as well as pryghian.
Wise Man Says: The guitar is obviously female, she's got hips, breasts... and a hole.
UG's Flamenco Club
Dunlop light grey .60 , not to stif and not to flimsy. It allowes wicked fst alternate picking and insane pinch harmonics.
Green or orange Tortex dunlop picks. and just keep practicing and you will improve.
>>Metal_Fretter<<

My gear:
Ibanez S470
Roland cube 30
Boss PW-10 v-wah
Marshall jackhammer