So, I'm finally able to go down to the music store for a new electric. The other day I went there to browse. I couldn't decide between a Fender Strat, or a Gibson Les Paul. I asked my only friend that plays guitar, and he said they were both great guitars. Which one do I get? Please give me some advice!!!!!
Try them both out, get to know what they feel like.
Quote by capt_dammit
kaervek...you rock

Quote by guitardude34875
the genre of metal is like an apple, I prefer just the apple, not the applecore
i really hate fenders myself but it all depends on what your playing
Quote by ToolBass_dude
Look on youtube.com- search "rediculously hard classical **** that no one in their right mind would try" and you'll find some 5 year old asian kids playing it
im more of a gibson guy myself... especially if its a real Les Paul... but if you get a genuinly made american strat it can be just as good... all depends on your style
I WANT TO BE THE MINORITY!
Well do you prefer single coils or humbuckers? What type of music do you play?
Fender American Deluxe V-Neck Strat
Laguna LG300CE Acoustic Electric
I hate american strats. The clean is WAAAYYY too bright. It's so bright and sparkly that it lacks any warmth or beauty.

They have a fantastic feel though.
You gotta try em both and see what feels good in your hands.
I like the feel of an LP much better, a little more solid in the hands and unique sound.
Most fenders feel kinda small and light, but if your heavy into bends and hammers and that single coil sound then its for you.

Jimmy Page: famous for his custom LP in live shows, often used a fender in the studio.
i don't like the way strats feel, they have a longer scale (25.5" compared to a les pauls 24.75") and a thinner (not sure if thats the correct word) neck....however, both are great guitars....play both and see which one feels best for you
Quote by Ihearthetfield
I hate american strats. The clean is WAAAYYY too bright. It's so bright and sparkly that it lacks any warmth or beauty.

They have a fantastic feel though.

Were you using the bridge pup? If so, you didn't truly experience the Fender clean. Try using the neck, or neck and middle combo. Thats the real clean.
My Gear:
Fender Japan Strat (80s)
Gibson SG Standard
Epi Goth Explorer (FAV)
Fender HotRod DeVille
Ibanez TS-9
Akai Wah Pedal
Quote by SHANANDO

Seriously, this sounds like a pussy squable from Saved By The Bell or some **** like that.

i myslef would go w/ the LP cuz it can pretty much cover any stlye of music,strats are more (IMO) for pop-punk,pop,and country yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee-hawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww (country due to its amazing clean,and I agree w/ iheartthefeild,its too bright,but if your a hick its right up ur ally pal
I find Fender have the best value for money, I am really impressed with the quality of the mex strats for the price, i'm even thinking of getting one my self, when i do i will be fitting some new pickups and maybe some better tuners, but thats just me because i like modding guitars, The American Strats seem to have a allright price to them as well.

But for the sound i allways favor a Gibson Les Paul, The value for money isnt as great as fender but if you like the feel and the tone of the les paul then its worth it, you might have to wait a bit longer to get one but trust me you will enjoy it.

Problem is with gibson's these days the Quality control is lacking a bit, so your going to have to try out diffrent les pauls and give them a close inspection, but it shouldnt be hard finding a good gibson there are plenty out there.

Because the Les Paul is a single cut you may have a problem getting to the higher frets to start with, but after a while you get used to it and dont think anything of it.

I say try them both out see what you think, Both are great guitars.
Member #7 of the Gibson Guild, PM Chadillac006 to join
none are better there both at the opposite ends of the guitar spectrum specwise. its all about playing them and deciding which YOU prefer.
Tunes, gear and other random stuff can be found in my "UG" profile if you click my name
get a strat, so much more versatile than a les paul.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
Quote by cholland
Jimmy Page: famous for his custom LP in live shows, often used a fender in the studio.

I thoght he alternated between LP and telecaster in the studio??
Get one of each!

My gear:
'75 Electra Les Paul Custom
Standard Tele
Standard Strat HH
60th anniversary standard Strat
Guild F50R acoustic
Fender acoustic twelve-string
Rogue RA100-D (my knock-around)
'63 SuperReverb (NOT a the reissue, but the original)
Vox AD30VT
plus I have a banjo, mandolin, lap steel, harmonicas, some other stuff, effects, pedals, etc., I don't even remember. I seem to remember seeing a karoke machine in my closet somewhere ..... and there's an accordion and a keyboard ...... and ????

My philosopy is, "you can't ever have enuff gear"
This might be kind of a noob question...but are fender and gibson the only companies that make electric guitars?

/facetious.
^ God NO. That would be horrible!!! There are hundreds of companies. Ibanez, Schecter, Dean, Jackson, ESP, PRS, Agile, etc. Lots of makes (I just named the most popular alternatives to Fender and Gibson).
Current Rig:
Gibson Firebird Studio
Limited Edition Schecter 35th Anniversary C-1
Schecter Jeff Loomis Signature 7 FR
Ashdown Fallen Angel
Custom 7 Firebird from Ignition Custom Guitars (check them out)
ESP Phoenix
Neither. Get a nice Washburn.

I'm serious. Go try out some Washburns. Particularly the Idol series. Great guitars and cheap.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
a les paul standad is like 1000 bucks more than an american strat i think
Quote by Soma3009
I came up with this kick ass riff on my ukelele when I was 12. Find out two years later, it was smoke on the water. Got my hopes and dreams killed..

Quote by saintjimmy99
you used the right form of "their!" i commend you sir!

The les paul will have a deeper, more rich tone, and because of the humbucking pickups it has, it will sound alot smoother with distortion, making the les paul better for rock-hard rock-metal. It is very versitle, though, and when used more cleanly, you can play many other styles well with it.

The stratocaster will have a much brighter, more clear tone with its single coil pickups. It sounds better when used for other styles, like lighter forms of rock, blues, country, But when distorted it gives a good classic rock tone. It is also versitile, and can play most styles with success (except for hard rock or metal).

basically, les paul= deep, rich tone
stratocaster=bright, clear tone

other than that, just try them out, and pick which one feels the best.
You CAN get an HSS strat, and have both.. especially if one of them is coil splittable, then you can have ALL of the sounds.
i would try them both out. it's completely a matter of personal taste. i have a decent strat and a decent les paul; the strat is played every day and the les paul is gathering dust. i just prefer the feel of the fender neck and the general vibe of the strat. i think something like what guitar you prefer can't really be broken down into advice you can give someone on a forum, you just have to have the neck in your own hands and think "yeah this is it" or "nope this doesn't feel right"
"Anytime but now
Anywhere but here
Anyone but me
I've got to think about my own life
The world is not our facility
We have a responsibility
To use our abilities to keep this place alive," said ian mackaye
Quote by Mui
Were you using the bridge pup? If so, you didn't truly experience the Fender clean. Try using the neck, or neck and middle combo. Thats the real clean.

Of course I always use the neck.

It just sounded really bright. So bright that it was artifical sounding.

When it was overdriven it had a great tone even with the feedback. It's just the clean I hate that glassiness. Humbuckers and P90s are so nice and warm.

I'm the only person in the world who likes the single coil sound better distorted lol. It has a nice creamy tone.
Quote by Ihearthetfield
Of course I always use the neck.

It just sounded really bright. So bright that it was artifical sounding.

When it was overdriven it had a great tone even with the feedback. It's just the clean I hate that glassiness. Humbuckers and P90s are so nice and warm.

I'm the only person in the world who likes the single coil sound better distorted lol. It has a nice creamy tone.

I see. Does your amp have a Presence knob? Try turning it down, it should get rid some of the glassy. You could even use it on the overdrive channel with the Gain setting set at 1.
My Gear:
Fender Japan Strat (80s)
Gibson SG Standard
Epi Goth Explorer (FAV)
Fender HotRod DeVille
Ibanez TS-9
Akai Wah Pedal
Quote by SHANANDO

Seriously, this sounds like a pussy squable from Saved By The Bell or some **** like that.

Quote by Mui
I see. Does your amp have a Presence knob? Try turning it down, it should get rid some of the glassy. You could even use it on the overdrive channel with the Gain setting set at 1.

No, mine doesn't have a prescence. I did try turning the mids and treble down to get rid of the harshness but then it was bassy and lost it's clarity. I have a nice amp too a Mesa Boogie F-30.

Strats just aren't my thing I guess. Some people have told me to upgrade my pickups to Dimarzio YJMs which warms up the tone a lot but I already sold it so oh well.

I should be fine with my UV777.
Quote by Gibson23
Because the Les Paul is a single cut you may have a problem getting to the higher frets to start with, but after a while you get used to it and dont think anything of it.