I don't know about anyone else, but I could never buy an artist signature guitar. It's like their guitar and their style... I can't see myself playing a Steve Vai signature Ibanez Jem or a Alexi Laiho ESP and feeling normal.
Yeah I see what you mean, I'd rather to make my own by modding a guitar instead of buying a pre-modded one (if that made sense.)
Fender American Deluxe V-Neck Strat
Laguna LG300CE Acoustic Electric
Quote by karateguy29
Yeah I see what you mean, I'd rather to make my own by modding a guitar instead of buying a pre-modded one (if that made sense.)

Yea, it's that, but it's also like stealing someone elses identity and style. I would never buy a Dimebag Dean ML, it is his signature style and it would be like copying almost.
My benchmark test is one thing and one thing only...

When i pick up an instrument, it has to feel like it was made for my hands, and mine alone.

Then of course, it has to SOUND amazing.

I play a Charvel 3B as my main bass, and this is apparently NOT a popular model since it was discontinued eons ago.

but to this day i have not played a better bass at ANY price range.

Would it matter if it had someones name on it?

I can't really say since i got mine at about the same time Duff from GNR got his :P
Avast Ye Scurvy Scalawags!

Pirate Gear:

Charvel/Jackson 3B Bass
Series 10 5-String Bass
Vintage 70s Ampeg SVT/SVT 8x10 Cab
Ibanez GSA 60 Guitar
Roland Cube 15 Amp
Yamaha DD-55 Drum Machine
TASCAM 424 Portastudio
yeah, i cant see me playing a bulls eye zakk guitar.
if you'd believe me i'd tell you everything
It's not 'stealing their sound', it's using an instrument someone you like and respect as a master of music has designed :P if they didn't want you to play these instruments, they wouldn't sell them, don't you think
Jackson DKMG & KE3, Fender Mexican Strat, Stagg Acoustic

Boss Compressor & Chorus, Dunlop Crybaby, Behringer Delay, ISP Decimator, Ibanez Tubescreamer

Laney TT50H, Marshall 1960A, Roland Cube 15

Looking to jam in Belfast, PM me!
I agree. It's fine to like an artist and want to get a sound like theirs, but going out and dropping $2000+ so you can be more like them is kinda...creepy.

I'd rather spend that money and have a luthier build me a custom guitar to my specs then to get someone else's custom just because I like their sound.

I like to take artist's sounds that I like, mess with them and combine them with other stuff to create my own sound. I usually don't bother to adjust my amp to play other people's music. I leave it set to my preference and adapt their music to my style.

I couldn't, and wouldn't use someone else's custom. I'll make my own sound with my own guitar.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
the only reasonm i wouldnt buy a sig guitar is because the prices ar jacked up

i would becuase:
you usually cna only get certain features on a sig guitar
Stop Reading My Signature

Gear:
Schecter C-1 Blackjack w/ EMG 81/85 PA2
Schecter C-1 Classic
Carvin V3m
Boss GE-7
Boss DD-3
To me, I think a guitar is a guitar. I don't care if it is someone else's signature model. If it is a good deal for the price and I like the way it feels and sounds, I'd buy it.
Also, think about how many people own Randy Rhoads V

(if that can still be considered a signature model )
Quote by madpickin03
"I'd like a Big Mac and a Coke plz"
"Do you want fries with that sir?"
"No i want an RG7620 to go with it, no ketchup, Vampire Kiss finish"

Quote by chevellerox2005
who is ozzy? must not have made that much of an impact ya douche

^
Well i play a "signature": The Les Paul. So there is a difference. JEM's, RR's, Dime models and so on come in different models. They are liek a separete lien wich an artist designed. Thats kind of different. Still si ee waht you mean.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Depends if i like the guitar i dont really treat signature models any different to production models... however sometimes i think your paying for the name with some signature guitars *COUGH*JEM*COUGH*
Tunes, gear and other random stuff can be found in my "UG" profile if you click my name
I'm not one for sig models either. First, I find it's kind of a ripoff of the other person's image. I have no issues with someone buying and playing a sig guitar, but when you see someone on stage playing one, it just looks odd.

That being said, if all goes well with the 357 Customs deal, I should be receiving an Epiphone Zakk Wylde Camo Les Paul sometime in the near future. Regardless what I do to it, it will always be a Zakk Wylde guitar. But I plan to 'distance' myself from his guitar by swapping hardware for black (vs gold) and installing some open-coil passive pickups to get rid of the EMG look.

But in the end, I would never buy a sig guitar at full price, particularly a Gibson. At that point, you're just paying insane amounts of money for the artist's name on a guitar worth 1/2 the price.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
Once again, it's fashionable here to bash Gibson.

Most sig models don't appeal to me.

However, the Gibson Lucille has a lot of interesting (and pretty unique) features that you can only get on the Lucille.
^True. Some Sigs are great, such as MIM Fenders, since they use UCstom shop hardware and electronics, but costs less.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
I can't even wear a sports jersey or athletic shoes bearing the name of another, but I could own and play a signature series guitar provided that I'm not overpaying just to have a sig on it, and it doesn't have something like "SRV" engraved in big bold letters on the pickguard. And I am a big Stevie Ray fan ..........

One other way I could own one, if it was MY signature on the guitar
I don't care if there's an artist's name on it. If I like the feel, sound, and price, it could be a 50 Cent signature and I wouldn't care.
Quote by Danno13
I don't care if there's an artist's name on it. If I like the feel, sound, and price, it could be a 50 Cent signature and I wouldn't care.

Agreed, BUT, I'd remove the sig
^So you have no chance of reselling it at any decent price?

Nice.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
Quote by Resiliance
^So you have no chance of reselling it at any decent price?

Nice.

Didn't say I'd DESTROY it, just that I wouldn't wear it. But it wouldn't likely be an issue for me anyway. If I can get a comparably equipped guitar without the sig for considerably less money, that's the route I'm going.
^Yeah, but you said you'd remove the sig, and even if you did that impeccably, the resale value would be ruined... That was my point.

But it's irrelevant now. Carry on.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Click.
are you just trying to flame me dude? I'm not afraid of you just because you have a scary avatar.

I wouldn't deface the instrument to the point of devaluing it, but you can alwasy switch out the truss rod covers, pick guards, etc, if you don't want to be perceived as a poser
Quote by mrbreeze
are you just trying to flame me dude? I'm not afraid of you just because you have a scary avatar.

Oh man...

Rest assured, I'm not flaming you

What you don't seem to get is that if you buy a sig guitar, and you change ANY PART of it, most of the times it will automatically devaluate as it is not the sig guitar it was anymore... Law of commerce.

Click.
not if you can put those parts back on, and who gives a damn anyway? I'll never sell anything I buy, I still have my very first rig, a '66 Telstar with a mere single humbucker at the bridge, not exactly a collector's item, but it's a guitar and it's mine.
I was after a Zakk bullseye for ages and when I got one ( a white Gibson les paul custom someone had had the paintjob professionally done on ) I was forever known as " that guy with the Zakk guitar " and I got well hacked of with it so I got out the nitromorse (paint stripper) and stripped it all, Oiled it all over, changed all the hardwear, put a few cig burns on it and bashed it about a bit and I've never been happier with a guitar EVER.

Buy a guitar you like and feel comfortable with, butcher it until it feels like its yours, dont worry about how much you'll get when you sell it on either. To many people are terrified to get marks in the finish and a bit of dirt on it but they miss the point. Its made to be played. The best guitars Ive ever played have been the ones that are so battered, they sit on a guitar shop wall for ages. Next time you see a guitar that looks like its been played to death pick it up and play it and you'll be supprises.
Last edited by jonnyguitarman at May 17, 2006,
I don't get how can you say that all the signature guitars are overpriced... Have you ever played any of the JS series??.. those things are worth every penny and then some more, and I'm pretty sure it's not some kind of a freak exception, either.

Boss Compressor & Chorus, Dunlop Crybaby, Behringer Delay, ISP Decimator, Ibanez Tubescreamer

In one of my guitar player magazines theres a list of gear for the band God Frobid and its kind of pathetic how much artist signature stuff they both use (both guitarists rigs are almost identical): ESP DV8 Dave Mustaine Signature, Krank (!) Krankenstein Dimebag Darrell Signature and Dimebag Signature Wah.
RIP SYD
Member #6 of the "SZ over RG Club!" PM ibanez4lifeSZ to join.
Quote by ar73m
I don't get how can you say that all the signature guitars are overpriced... Have you ever played any of the JS series??.. those things are worth every penny and then some more, and I'm pretty sure it's not some kind of a freak exception, either.

I can't speak for everyone, but I don't think ALL sig series guitars are overpriced. A good example would be the Jimmy Vaughn standard stratocaster. But if you are paying hundreds, maybe even a grand or so more because someone's name or initials have been embossed on it somewhere, then IMHO it's overpriced.

And for the record, I also respectfully disagree with Both statements in your signature. In fact, quite the opposite is true about improvisation, which is actually "writing music as one plays" as opposed to "playing music while one reads".
I can't speak for everyone, but I don't think ALL sig series guitars are overpriced. A good example would be the Jimmy Vaughn standard stratocaster. But if you are paying hundreds, maybe even a grand or so more because someone's name or initials have been embossed on it somewhere, then IMHO it's overpriced.

I agree, if you pay 1000$ extra JUST for the signature on exact the same guitar you could get for 1000$ less, that's retarded. :P but most signature guitars I've encountered out there, are great instruments well-worth the money.

And for the record, I also respectfully disagree with Both statements in your signature. In fact, quite the opposite is true about improvisation, which is actually "writing music as one plays" as opposed to "playing music while one reads".

As for my sig, it's supposed to be a joke. To some extent.

Quote by ar73m

As for my sig, it's supposed to be a joke. To some extent.

Oh, O.K., I'm laffing ....... to some extent
if i like a guitar and its a sig then id probably buy one, or even better build one with a slight twist....i dont get the argument of having a guitar like somebody else's though......thats like saying if you have a les paul standard u are copying everybody elses sound who owns one (and i bet there are a fair few just on this forum)
I once had a sig guitar and I liked it. But I recently chaged it to a Les Paul doe to better sound and MUCH better feel.
^What was it?

The only sig guitar i'd really look at buying would be the MM Petrucci guitar. The neck looks so damn sweet, bet it plays like a dream. Plus the top model has some funky electronics inside.

Other than that, I'd rather have my own guitar and sound, which has been built up over the years.
I can't speak for everyone, but I don't think ALL sig series guitars are overpriced.

TRUTH
Exact same specs as the RR5 and 200$ cheaper. That seems a pretty good deal to me
I'm pretty sure this one is an awesome deal for the price too. Rest assured, the bolt-on has virtually no heel. I'm pretty sure I can find some other good priced signature series if I looked hard enought. Just goes to show that they're not overpriced
Quote by madpickin03
"I'd like a Big Mac and a Coke plz"
"Do you want fries with that sir?"
"No i want an RG7620 to go with it, no ketchup, Vampire Kiss finish"

Quote by chevellerox2005
who is ozzy? must not have made that much of an impact ya douche

^