Page 1 of 2
All I got is a Strat and I 'm trying to make it sound better untill I can get a better guitar. Playing good can only make a crappy guitar sound so good. Please help.
well a crap guitar is a crap guitar I hate to tell you

you can put a pickguard of EMGs in it. That will improve the sound tenfold. But squiers have crappy wood and crappy necks. It will wont sound nearly as good as lets say a Mexican Strat with a pickguard of EMGs

Just save up and move past it. I know it's kind of hard to part with an instrument but once you sold it you wont miss it.

I kept my crappy starter guitar around for good ol' times but I realized it sounded crappy and I didn't need it. I put it up on ebay felt guilty a little but then once it was gone I didn't feel bad at all.
i heard they are agathis, and some are alder too i think
Quote by Johnljones7443
Brad, you smell.

Quote by Slash_HuDsOn
brad you smell like my hairy left nut

you could replace the pickups or throw it out
I Survived The "Silent Deftone Cocksucking Forum"!-August 15th, 2006
mine's alder, and i put hot rails and vintage stacked in it. sounds fine.

the easiest way to make a cheap guitar sound better, is to get a better amp.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
dude. its a squire strat. if you put emg's in it, it would be worth more than you paid for the guitar. your better off buying a new guitar.
My Gear:
1969 Fender Mustang Reissue
Fender DG-5 Acoustic
Washburn House of Blues
Fender Blues Junior
ProCo Rat Distortion
Electro Harmonix Small Clone
ya i hav a squier strat to and actualy i like the sound of it...well for certain stuff even tho it is kinda crappy its something different but i also hav a beast to get good tones out of lol
Squier Stratocaster
B.C. Rich Beast
Conrad 40110 (12-string Acoustic)
15 Watt Squier Amp
12 Watt B.C. Rich Amp
PODxt Live
Heres why it's wood sucks

it's many peices glues together

this kills the tone and sustaine because instead of having one beautifal hunk of resonant wood you get a bunch of crappy peices glues together

and squiers necks are lame they arent fast and don't have that nice glossed back like the mexicans and especially the americans
If you're thinking of plywood, that's only on Bullets.

My friend has a squier that he's fixed up (Locking tuners, more springs in the back, graphtec saddles I think, pealoid pickguard, EMG Gilmour set) that sounds GREAT (he plays a Roland JC120, the best SS amp out there for cleans and pretty good w/ a distortion pedal) and more importantly PLAYS GREAT.

The neck is one of the most amazing feeling maple necks ever.

So don't go randomly hating, kid.
haha
Jimi Hendrix has your solution

Burn it!!!

but on a serious note just get better pickups DiMarzios perhaps or EMGs for a Metal sound.
I haven't really done anything to it and my amp don't work too well. It sounds ok when it works. But I need better than ok.
then, whats ur budget cause all guitars sound bad thru a bad amp.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

^an bad guitars sound good thru a good amp, i played a 90 dollar strat copy today thru a nice line 6 tube with a recto model thing an it was awesome
You guys are all dumb.......You should all know squiers are made of Plywood and there glued together because that's what plywood is.
I have a Squier Strat with 3 single coil pickups and it sounds great. I love it to death! I have it connected to a distortion pedal and a nice amp, but it sounds great even on clean. Hell, my middle pickup doesn't work, and the neck is crapping out, and it sounds great on the bridge. I think the TS might have a crappy amp or something along the lines of that, because I don't have any sound issues with my Strat.
- FJ

Quote by Landover Baptist Church
If you find [balloons in his bedroom], it is a sign that Satan may have taken your child by the hand and skipped off together to see the movie, Up without your knowledge.

Quote by Silent_Scream1
You guys are all dumb.......You should all know squiers are made of Plywood and there glued together because that's what plywood is.

um not there not, nowadays only the squier mini and bullets are made of plywood...
Tunes, gear and other random stuff can be found in my "UG" profile if you click my name
Step 1: Get a job
Step 2: Take Squier to a pawnshop and exchange for cash
Step 2: Take cash from job and Squier to guitar shop. Play everything and buy whatever sounds best.

It's the only way without replacing each part on it, one at a time until you're happy. Plus it will help your playing and save cash in the long run.
Not even the Hello Kitty Strat is made of "plywood", aka "laminated hardwood".

A better amp ought to help you the most. If the guitar stays in tune, intonates properly, plays right, etc, I'd probaby just replace the pick ups to get the tone I'm after. Then I'd save my money for a better rig, put the Squier away for a while, give it to my kids or grandkids when they show an interest in playing. Heck, I still have my first guitar, which is a '66 Telstar, solid body with single humbucker at the neck. I haven't the faintest idea of what it's made, but it's got a really fat sound, and is fun to play every now and then. I don't get rid of NUTHIN!

Or if you think you might want to get into the world of modding, better to risk a mistake on this guitar than on a $2k American version.
Quote by Silent_Scream1

Umm no, alot are made of Alder and Agathis as already stated.

Check out StephBets squire she customized, sounds awesome after some GFS pickups and hardware replacement.
Love in technicolour, sprayed out on walls
Well I've been pounding at the pavement
'Til there's nothing at all
I got my cloak and dagger
In a bar room brawl
See the local loves a fighter
Loves a winner to fall
Quote by metalcowboy
How to make a Squier Strat sound good.

CANT...just play the damn guitar

My Gear:
Epihone Gothic X-plorer+EMGS 81/60
Jackson WARRIOR JS30+EMGS 81/60(soon will be installed)
Randall G2 series RG75 75watt
Behringer X V-Amp
Quote by metalcowboy
All I got is a Strat and I 'm trying to make it sound better untill I can get a better guitar. Playing good can only make a crappy guitar sound so good. Please help.

Hate to burst your bubble or anyone else's, but you can make that guitar sound
good. I know I could unless there's something really wrong with it.

So, I'd suggest you abandon the notion that the guitar will do all the work for you
and do some practicing.
Quote by edawg
I do think a lot of people would stereotype a squire because it says squire on it.

This is very true. I have a Squier strat that I've upgraded (New pickups and completely rewired the guitar), and people would play it and everyone would instantly say it wasn't good. I sanded the "Squier" off the headstock, and suddenly everyone though it was a great guitar.

I'd advise you to go the new pickup route. Pickups can be a cheap fix for a crap guitar, and once you do get a new guitar you can migrate the pickups.
Quote by Silent_Scream1

you have no clue.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by edg
Hate to burst your bubble or anyone else's, but you can make that guitar sound good. I know I could unless there's something really wrong with it.

So, I'd suggest you abandon the notion that the guitar will do all the work for you
and do some practicing.

Awesome!!!
Not all guitars are created equal though. You can get Squiers that just feel good to play, rare though they are. There are plenty of people that assume they need a new guitar when what they actually need is more playing experience, a better ear, better left hand technique or just a good setup. My guitar was seriously cheap, but it's set up just how I like it, the pickups suit me fine and I won't be replacing it until I find I need a sound it just can't do. Squiers do not have the quality though - they wear out quickly.

Just a thought but try a different brand and guage of strings. It'll make it feel quite different to play and could get your enthusiasm back.
Quote by smb
Not all guitars are created equal though. You can get Squiers that just feel good to play, rare though they are. There are plenty of people that assume they need a new guitar when what they actually need is more playing experience, a better ear, better left hand technique or just a good setup. My guitar was seriously cheap, but it's set up just how I like it, the pickups suit me fine and I won't be replacing it until I find I need a sound it just can't do. Squiers do not have the quality though - they wear out quickly.
Agree with you except for the quality part. I don't know what you mean about the wearing out part I have a Japanese Squier with 2 piece Alder body, the cleanest individual PU routing, my most favorite maple/maple neck, etc. and it easily matches, if not outperform my other Strats or my friends' American or Mexican Strats. It's my favorite Strat and looks mint, even though it was made before I was even sperm.
how do you make a squier sound good?

hang a boombox from the neck...insert hendrix and play all along the watchtower...move your hands really fast up and down the fretboard while having your amp off.

it'll sound like honey.
Quote by deg0ey
The best pickups for emo are no pickups at all...

Gear:

1996 Les Paul Classic w/ Alnico II's
Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
i h8 my only squier guitar. I don't use it though.. use my friends...dont show my embarrasment to them lol...i feel so flow on the guitar...i dont know what it is...you can't play that fast on it...
Main quips
Marshall MG100DFX
Squier Affinity
Digitech RP200A
Givson acoustic copy

elo ther.
best solution..... strip the paint off and put 2 light coats of primer followed by 4 LIGHT coats of clear onto it, the wayt agathis vibrates is different than alder and to maximize it at all it has to resonate almost without restriction, but be careful, too little paint and the bass gets VERY muddy. I'd also recomend a weak fender pickup in the neck position, and higher output Duncans/Dimarzios in the other 2

the Dimarzio YJMs work good for metal
Quote by Keef-is-king
best solution..... strip the paint off and put 2 light coats of primer followed by 4 LIGHT coats of clear onto it, the wayt agathis vibrates is different than alder and to maximize it at all it has to resonate almost without restriction, but be careful, too little paint and the bass gets VERY muddy. I'd also recomend a weak fender pickup in the neck position, and higher output Duncans/Dimarzios in the other 2

the Dimarzio YJMs work good for metal

I would get a good single coil in the neck and bridge positions. I tend not to use the middle position.

I don't really recommend the YJM as it highlights mistakes like a Clean Tele. If you've got good technique then get the YJM. The YJM is also pretty low output and even Yngwie uses a booster pedal to drive his Marshalls.
My Gear :

Guitar:
Squier '51 (Dimarzio PAF Pro) (10-52s)
Roland Cube 15
Behringer X-V-Amp
Digitech Bad Monkey
BOSS DS-1 (modded)

Bass:
Yamaha RBX270 (55-110s)
Behringer BXL900
EHX Bass Balls Pedal
EHX Big Muff Pi Pedal
Quote by herschel
i h8 my only squier guitar. I don't use it though.. use my friends...dont show my embarrasment to them lol...i feel so flow on the guitar...i dont know what it is...you can't play that fast on it...

What did you just say??
My Gear :

Guitar:
Squier '51 (Dimarzio PAF Pro) (10-52s)
Roland Cube 15
Behringer X-V-Amp
Digitech Bad Monkey
BOSS DS-1 (modded)

Bass:
Yamaha RBX270 (55-110s)
Behringer BXL900
EHX Bass Balls Pedal
EHX Big Muff Pi Pedal
I have three Squiers that I modded. I picked them up used for around $50 each. There are many Squier variations, but I avoided affinity and bullet series. Basically I replaced all the electronics and pots and pickups.

They have rosewood necks and I enjoy playing them. I have HH, SSS, and SSH setups. They have Dimarzio virtual vintages, Seymour Duncans, and American Fender Pups which I bought used.

I figure I spent less than $150 each and they sound as good as any guitar out there. I sanded the Squier name off of one but decided against sanding the others since I really don't care how others may judge me by not how I play but what I play.

I am not a professional musician, and have MIM and American Strats. I think any guitar can produce a great tone if you upgrade the electronics and pups.
I had a Squier that I sunk $300 into but couldn't get it to sound the way I wanted. Action like a dream (I tweaked that sucker a lot). The maple neck was cheap though, and the finish started to flake off (???) around the 2nd and 3rd frets. Best way to get a metal sound would be to buy a H-H routed pickguard, custom install 2 humbuckers, and go that route, rather than YJMs, HS-3s, Hot Rails, Choppers, or any of that. The body probably doesn't have the resonance that's required to get a good sound from those.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by edg
Hate to burst your bubble or anyone else's, but you can make that guitar sound
good. I know I could unless there's something really wrong with it.

and do some practicing.

Hey I looked at your guitars and I wanted to know where you got that gibson es 335.
Page 1 of 2