I have a few questions about chords and such. I would first liek to know exactly what a powerchord is why its a powerchord and how to play a powerchord. also.. chords in general.. I couldnt tell a B-Flat from a G-Major.. why are those what they are and how are some of them played?
a power chord is a two-three note chord played to make more of a rock sound wit out weird overtones.... just look at a white stripes or blink 182 song for reference
A powerchord, EH??

Root note, such AS:

e|-------
B|-------
G|-------
D|------
A|------
E|-2----

With 2 5ths!

e|-------
B|--------
G|-------
D|-4----
A|-4-----
E|-2----

You see, the "2" is an F# or Gb. The 4 on A is C# or Db. and the 4 on D is F# or Gb. Get it now? The two 5ths? Thats why its called an F#5 chord!

Adding a seventh...:

e|-----
B|-------
G|-3--
D|-4----
A|-4---
E|-2---

The seventh being 3 on G. This is A# or Bb.

Well, it gets into greater depth, but I don't have time to explain all the chord/scale formulae.
This has been covered very well in the "lessons" section of the site.
Check lessons in these categories:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/the_basics/

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/chords/

Try those, and if you still have questions, ask away

edit:
Zuka : a powerchord isn't the root and 2 fifths, its the root, a fifth, and the root again one octave higher. Using the same way of explaining it you did, it would be root, fifth and a fourth (maybe, is that right?) higher than that fifth.
To see a World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour
Last edited by iain4444 at May 16, 2006,
Quote by Zuka

Adding a seventh...:

e|-----
B|-------
G|-3--
D|-4----
A|-4---
E|-2---

The seventh being 3 on G. This is A# or Bb.

That's the chords 3rd, not seventh.
RIP SYD
Member #6 of the "SZ over RG Club!" PM ibanez4lifeSZ to join.
Quote by BobFromReboot
That's the chords 3rd, not seventh.

Oh. So it is.
You know, it's very hot up here. Ever seen BoomHeadshot? I'm about to go on a rampage like the ending of that.
thats cool dude, but i'm from canada too, and its like 10 degrees celcius, and the highest its been so far this year is only like 25
To see a World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour
Quote by Zuka

With 2 5ths!

e|-------
B|--------
G|-------
D|-4----
A|-4-----
E|-2----

You see, the "2" is an F# or Gb. The 4 on A is C# or Db. and the 4 on D is F# or Gb. Get it now? The two 5ths? Thats why its called an F#5 chord!

There is a fifth and an octave, not two fifths.
do you understand phrasing and things like that?

i.e. R315 (the first note in the major scale of the root, the third, the fifth)

well if you know your major scale: the first note of the G scale is G of course, the third note is B and the 5th note is D so the chord would form with the root of G somewhere in the chord, usually the first note, and then whatever order for the 3rd and the 5th. sometimes they repeat, generally this wont change the name if its added 3 or 5 for reasons God only knows lol.

if the third is flat-ed(relative) its minor, as in, lower it a semi tone and the chord will be minor.

anyway if you add a forth for example to the main triad which is 1,3,5 it becomes a 4th chord... if you add a 13th(13 notes from the root in the major scale you pick) its a 13th chord...

if you lower the octave to a 7th or add a 7th... its a 7th chord.

pretty much if you add a number of subtract anything it changes the name... the names are useless unless you are studing cool things like tritones.

http://www.kidung.com/chord_gitar.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuka
With 2 5ths!

e|-------
B|--------
G|-------
D|-4----
A|-4-----
E|-2----

There is a fifth and an octave, not two fifths.

that would be a power chord. R158

i forgot to say in my last post that you should learn your ionian modes all 6 positions... and learn then front to back and back to front and you can then learn any other mode or scale...

melodic minor i believe is nothing more than a major scale with a 3b...

you can make chords with all sorts of scales.
Last edited by silentdud at May 16, 2006,
^ Phrasing is how a performer interprets phrases in a piece. It doesn't have to do with chord construction.
The only people who are posting correct information are ian4444, BobFromReboot, and psychodelia.

Power Chords

Power chords are a harmonic interval of a perfect 5th. They are neither minor nor major in their tonality. They are not really chords, as chords are 3 or more notes played simultaneously. A power chord only has 2 (root and 5th), which makes it an interval. Power chords are written in a progression as _5, named after their root note. For example, a D power chord would be written as D5.

Power chords are formed by taking the root and 5th (scale degrees 1 and 5) of the root note's major scale. For example, a C power chord:

..Note: C D E F G A B C
Degree: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 1
........*.......*.....*

The first and 5th notes are those that comprise a power chord. Therefore, a C power chord is the notes C and G played simultaneously - no more, and no less. You may include octaves of these notes as you see fit to give different sounds to the power chords.

Some common shapes to play power chords are as follows:
e|-----------3--3-------------3--3--------------6-----6----|
B|--------3--3--3-------------x--x--------6--6--6--6--6-6--|
G|--------x--x--0-----5-----5-5--5--5--5--5--5--3--3--3-3--|
D|-----5--5--5--0--5--5--5--5-5--5--3--3--3--3--3-------3--|
A|--5--5--5--5--x--3--3--3--3-3--3-----3--3----------------|
E|--3--3--3--3--3--3--3----------3-------------------------|
....G5.............C5...............F5..........Bb5.........

G5 is notes G D
C5 is notes C G
F5 is notes F C
Bb5 is notes Bb F

-SD