since im 14 and dont have a job, i need a practice schedule. i need a schedule where i can sit in my room and play for about >2 hours-2 hours. i want a schedule that will be somewhat fun and will let me practice scales, speed/accuracy, chords/power chords, techniques, and everything else ill need. if someone could give me a schedule or at least some good exercises, scales i need to learn, or songs or something that i could use, then that would be much appreciated. thanks!
regardless of if you have a job you should have a practice schedule

30 min. practicing the positions ( all 6 ) of ionian until you have it memorized

30 min of chops and arpeggios

30 min of improving over chords

30 min of listening to music and improving over that

30 more min. going through all the ionian positions

once you finish ionian go through all the other modes of the major scale until they are all memorized... but its more important to understand them and look at the fret board and see the tones and semi tones than it is to rip through them all of the time....
Ionian and Aeolian are the more important ones to have completely memorized in every position.
i would agree to that ^ but to a lesser extent.

chords, some common scales, chops, and ear training.

everything else seems pretty excessive.

one good thing to do though is no matter what it is, try to play something.

even if you only find 2 notes out of a whole song from the radio, youre still really helping your ears get better.

if you do that ^ rigorously, i can almost guarantee you will burn yourself out.

do what you WANT!
Don't forget to practice things like slides, bends, vibrato and legato!
RIP SYD
Member #6 of the "SZ over RG Club!" PM ibanez4lifeSZ to join.
those are a given you should be practicing that with your scales... I do those things naturally because they sound good

pull offs legato and bends to mix it up into music instead of scales.... otherwise you will get burned out... never practice when you are depressed and never practice when you are in the wrong mind set because you will not make progress and may actually regress from OVER playing...

pain is common when starting scales and building speed, i remember my hand totally knotting up because i did all of the Ionian modes 400 times in a row. work through the soreness but if you experience pain stop immediately and take a break

you need to drink allot of water and stretch your hands out... everything you would do if you were working out pretty much... too bad i didn't figure this out until later on.

sometimes I will break a sweat after 4 hours of scales or so on a speed trainer or with a metronome. if you cant do that you arent dedicated enough, its a question of how bad you want to reach your goals.
Last edited by silentdud at May 17, 2006,
Quote by silentdud
regardless of if you have a job you should have a practice schedule

30 min. practicing the positions ( all 6 ) of ionian until you have it memorized

30 min of chops and arpeggios

30 min of improving over chords

30 min of listening to music and improving over that

30 more min. going through all the ionian positions

once you finish ionian go through all the other modes of the major scale until they are all memorized... but its more important to understand them and look at the fret board and see the tones and semi tones than it is to rip through them all of the time....
Ionian and Aeolian are the more important ones to have completely memorized in every position.

what is the ionian mode? what are the 6 positions? also, what is the aeolian mode and its positions?
Minutes: (duh)

5 -- warmups
10 -- major scale and its patterns
10 -- other scales (optional)
20 -- chords (learn some jazz progressions)
10 -- jam over the chord change
15 -- speed training/tapping [basically skill building]

I think that works well, and be focused, or it's a waste of time.
primusfan
It's better with no teeth, trust me. Much fewer scars on my penis now that I've switched from seniors in high school to senior citizens.
Do yourself a favor and go to www.guitarprinciples.com which has very
detailed info on how to make a schedule (and even a forum dedicated to posting
just schedules).

Everyone has different goals and needs and you can't let anyone else do your
own schedule (unless its a dedicated teacher).

Things like "major scale - 10 minutes" are as good as useless. If you don't have
very specific goals and focused items, you'll just go though them while looking
at your watch. May as well not even bother.
Get some good theory books to read. Something like the Jazz Theory Book is a great read.
UG Blues Mafia
Founding Members: Forklifterer, Steve Cropper, Crzyrckgtrst28, and TNfootballfan62

Member of the Anti-Whammy-Bar-Solo Club
go buy a metronome......then make your own workout using exercises you see from the steve vai 10 hour workout and some from www.ibreathemusic.com and even make some up yourself

heres some patterns i do up and down the fretboard

those are just a few........then i work on other techniques and after im done with the workout i work on exercises with techniques i feel i struggle with.......then i learn a song from an artist i study for a week..........each week i learn songs from different guitarists with different styles helps me alot with my own chops

but always always practice slowly and perfectly