Page 1 of 2
I don't know if this is the right place, but I will put it here anyway...

Today at my High School there was an assembly about "Violent Music" what kind of BS is that?!?!?!

THey said that music makes people do Bad things. We were aloud to ask questions about it so I said...."I disagree, It's all the crack they smoke when they're listening to the music that makes them crazy" and for that I got a 5 day In School Suspension.

FOR VIOLENT MUSIC!!!!

WHAT IS WRONG WITH THE WORLD?!?!!

Hey don't let jimmy listen to metallica or he will pop a cap in your a*s!!

Jimmy's Future with Metallica:

Jimmy's Future without Metallica:

well, that was a dumb way to word a response. But I do agree that the whole "music makes people do bad things" argument is bs.
Suckah.

Violent/aggresive music will affect your mood. Of course it does. But if violent music is enough to unbalance you mentally to such an extant that it actually influences you to go out and kill someone...then you're probably a psycho in the first place.
I will show you something different from either
Your shadow in the morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you
I will show you fear in a handful of dust
Violent music does nothing to the person. its the person that makes the bad desicions.
Quote by invisible_man
Suckah.

Violent/aggresive music will affect your mood. Of course it does. But if violent music is enough to unbalance you mentally to such an extant that it actually influences you to go out and kill someone...then you're probably a psycho in the first place.

This is a fact. Or at least something close to one.
Quote by invisible_man
Suckah.

Thats true
FEAR!!!!!

ummm wow i just explained religion, AND the insurance companys... too OH NOES!!!!!
I'm not funny, nor smart enough to have a funny or smart sig...
You should have said, "People do bad things because they are forced to go to meaningless assemblies." But ISS really isn't that bad. Maybe if you didn't listen to that violent music, you wouldn't be so angry about it.
i agree look at what they did to marilyn manson with columbine that was a ****in joke
My gear:
Tom Delonge squire strat
fender princeton 650
danelectric p.o.s. peddle
I'm tired of people using death metal and the like as a scapegoat just because they're not man enough to own up to their actions. Oh, it wasn't my fault, the devil made me do it. Oh Chris Barnes sings about it all the time, so it must be okay.
Thats sad that the school actually paid to have someone talk about "violent" music
If we start talking about 'violent music' making you do bad things... What about computer games, movies, and pretty much the entire entertainment spectrum of the contemporary western civilization? I kind of think it's pretty stupid when songs go like, "KILL BLOOD MURDER WAH" whatever, I prefer deeper/wiser, or in the worst case, funnier lyrics... But to many people, it's a turn on and an adrenaline pump, and there's nothing wrong with that. The fact that some idiots choose to 'follow the call of their holy messiah' and go killing the name of saint anger or some stupid crap... That's not the musician's fault :p
Jackson DKMG & KE3, Fender Mexican Strat, Stagg Acoustic

Boss Compressor & Chorus, Dunlop Crybaby, Behringer Delay, ISP Decimator, Ibanez Tubescreamer

Laney TT50H, Marshall 1960A, Roland Cube 15

Looking to jam in Belfast, PM me!
People do bad things because they can, not because they're influenced by rap or metal (of course, there some are).
What exactly is violent music? Is it music that whispers "Kill someone" or "Bash your wife's skull with a toilet"?

I think that music can affect your mood, but it would take many other mental instabilities to cause the person to want to listen and heed the advice given in the music.
- FJ

Quote by Landover Baptist Church
If you find [balloons in his bedroom], it is a sign that Satan may have taken your child by the hand and skipped off together to see the movie, Up without your knowledge.

Lol. That's great. Really.

Yes. ALL ROCK MUSIC=EVIL.

How pathetic. They blame music. Not those horrific gore-fest movies, or insanely violent videogames.

Oh and what about those ****ing rappers? All they "rap" about is busting caps in people's asses and how it's awesome to do drugs and be in gangs.

But no, they aren't responsible. It's rock n' roll that's made by the devil.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
wow your school is pretty retarded....they communists or what? suspended you for making an opinion?
i think you should stab you school. right eveyone in your school. then when they ask why say that the violent music made you do it.

i really think this whole violent music thing is bull****. i can understand movies, you watch movies you see people get killed. but music. the closest thing to violent music (where you can comprehend what they are saying) is motel of the white locusts. you know 'i pray to keep my head, although i like her pretty face better blackened and my fists all ****ing red'.
music doesn't make people evil. music simply reveals that evil. music can calm the savage beast. but at the ame time could the right kind of music unleashes that same beast.
i noticed that i seem to have less control on my emotions, say if someone hits me with something, if i'm listening to converge that when i'm listening to tool.

why?
because music appeals to our base instincts. when you are listenening to something fast and heavy, converge for example, you are natually more awake an alert. if you dont believe me try it. if yuo listen to something relaxed and mellow you will be more relaxed. so whos to say that this same effect doesn't carry on to our emotions? and how we react in a band situation?
my 2 cents.
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
www.purevolume.com/mordecaiaus
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
Music is music, if you play an instrument it is part of your lifestyle, but extensions of that lifestyle in the form of wearing goth clothing/makeup/trenchcoats/whatever can't be healthy. I love playing metal and rock, but I don't go around wearing black band shirts just to show everyone how hardcore I am, in fact, unless I'm listening to or playing music, it has absolutely no effect on what I am doing at any given moment, the way I dress, act, especially talk. I don't think it's the music that plants a seed for people to do something, it's all the extra bull**** that come along with it, extending what is just music and lyrics into an entire way of life, which is not enough to have a well rounded lifestyle, and can lead to problems.
It's just easy to them to blame on something unhumaine. "Let's blame music so it can't sue us for that" Woot go people. It's the violent PEOPLE who kill others. Not The Music.
It's Raining in my Cranium
U GOT 5 DAYS SUSPENSION FOR THAT?!?!?! well... ur school is ****ty and ****ed up! :P and above that, the whole world (except us, fans of rock) is ignorant and everyone blames their **** to metal music.... i blame the church for that because the church is just a big lie so that some people in high positions can get money from the rest of the world... it started that way and its still that way... now, im talking the church! not the religion! i respect everyone's religions as they are (most of them) based on good values and love and whatever... its just sad that most people dont realize that and continue to live in world full of lies and ignorance... in a friend's of mine school showed them a video about satanism in rock music and they said that V guitars are satanic because the represent a broken cross... i mean... WHAT THE FUUUUCK?!?!?! so get used to it because thats how its gonna be until u graduate...
I am a signature.
i would protest that punishment (unless you said it in a smart ass way)

liker seriously i would like ..just go to my regualr classes and forget the ISS and when securtiy comes just refuse (they cant touch you unless your being threatning)

and to Siandos.BCRich there alot of those "V guitars are satanic because the represent a broken cross" type of things, a while ago someone post a link to a relgious forum site and these guys where like " my daughter is a devil worshiper cuz they shop at hot topic" and stupid **** like that
Stop Reading My Signature

Gear:
Schecter C-1 Blackjack w/ EMG 81/85 PA2
Schecter C-1 Classic
Carvin V3m
Boss GE-7
Boss DD-3
Quote by Anghellic
I'm tired of people using death metal and the like as a scapegoat just because they're not man enough to own up to their actions. Oh, it wasn't my fault, the devil made me do it. Oh Chris Barnes sings about it all the time, so it must be okay.

It's not that.

It's the fact that parents and society use it as a scapegoat. I haven't heard it come from that persons mouth. Just the general society around them. 'That boy hit someone, he must be into metal or play violent games!'
if you have belief in ur soul and jesus you can do anything
Get away and go to a decent school.

It's just like Metallica blaming Napster for crappy sales of St Anger. If parents can't bring up kids they aren't gonna blame themselves when the kid gets in trouble. They're gonna blame Grand Theft Auto, Unreal Tournament, Marilyn Manson or whatever.
I want to hit something every time I hear Trivium. Does that make them 'violent music'?
╠═══════╬═══════╣

FUZZY FLATPICKER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Enjoy occasionally controversial ramblings related to guitars? I have a blog which meets these criteria.
Quote by ar73m
If we start talking about 'violent music' making you do bad things... What about computer games, movies, and pretty much the entire entertainment spectrum of the contemporary western civilization? I kind of think it's pretty stupid when songs go like, "KILL BLOOD MURDER WAH" whatever, I prefer deeper/wiser, or in the worst case, funnier lyrics... But to many people, it's a turn on and an adrenaline pump, and there's nothing wrong with that. The fact that some idiots choose to 'follow the call of their holy messiah' and go killing the name of saint anger or some stupid crap... That's not the musician's fault :p

Uh, I think I recall hearing people bashing that stuff too .......
Avril Lavigne makes me wat to smash my radio ........ not my TV though
Just another excuse to not blame bad parenting.

Violent music just makes me want to strum my guitar harder
Schecter C-1 Classic (Antique Amber)
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Crate Palamino Class A tube combo
Digitech RP80 Multieffects pedal
Ibanez TS9 DX Tube Screamer
Yeah, that's pretty damned weird. I know a lot of people that listen to jazz and are violent people, does that make jazz violent music? Probably not. You can take people like me who listen to metal exclusively, does that make us violent? No.

People just want something to argue about I guess.
Violent movies are like video games. It can influence your mood, but the effect wears off when the songs over. So, if you were listening to some slayer on your iPod when slaughtering a family with a blunted axe, you might say that the music influenced you. The effect wears away pretty quickly btw.
How to get back at them.

Play Angel of Death through the intercom. if what they believe is true then everyone will try and kill everyone else.
I don't think that listening to violent music makes a person evil.

But I do think that evil people listen to violent music.

Fact is, there is some truth to how music relates to people. Guys that listen to Death Metal are more likely to do something bad than guys that listen to Bach. Violent music goes hand-in-hand with other problems too, I won't deny that, but the music is a sympton of the disease just like drugs are. Music can be evil and there are some things you shouldn't be listening to.

Don't believe me? Look how mad you all get every time something like this is mentioned. I think somewhere deep down, you understand it's wrong, yet you are so hooked into it you can't let go. It's like a drug. Now I'm not saying that if you listen to Slayer you are capable of murder, but it is a step down the right path. Not a big one, but they don't seem to mind talking about murder, right? Maybe it's OK to indulge in a little fantasy about killing someone you don't care much for. That's not wrong, right?

I don't think the Columbine shooters just woke up one morning and decided to bring guns to school.
what happened to the proposed Kirk Hammett flamenco album?

His acoustic didn't sound good with wah pedal, I suppose.
Quote by Tallman
How to get back at them.

Play Angel of Death through the intercom. if what they believe is true then everyone will try and kill everyone else.

The arguement against violence in music, media and video games is desensitation. Over a period of time, constant exposure could create a Serial Killer or a felon, etc. I would guess that it is possible if an individual was forced to learn their values through these types of enviroments. But this is why we have parents - they're suppose to teach us our values

Like I said, censorship is an excuse for parents who don't want to raise their kids themselves.
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Music, Video games, movies, TV... I listen to death metal, I play GTA, I watch just about everything that comes out...

And I'm a straight B+ student, don't smoke, don't do drugs, never killed anyone or anything.

I do swear like a sailor and drink like one, too, but that's different. That's words and refreshments. The most violence I've been involved with was a fistfight last year (That I won easily) and I've never been suspended or expelled.

Anyone who can be influenced into violence/murder by music should be put down, since obviously they have an IQ low enough to not be considered human.
Music has been used to effect people pretty much since the start of it all. If you don't think music influences how you think and feel, then stop listening to bands you like and start listening to bands you hate. If it makes no difference, then you won't care either way.
Quote by ban rap
Music has been used to effect people pretty much since the start of it all. If you don't think music influences how you think and feel, then stop listening to bands you like and start listening to bands you hate. If it makes no difference, then you won't care either way.

Music stirs emotions, it doesn't install the phsycological disorders required to, say: Kill another human being in cold blood. If you can't control the hate a particular song inspires and instead channel it into a murderous rage, then you've got one of them phsycological disorders required.

To put it another way, violence in music and media will always be a catalyst - it will never be a cause.
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Quote by invisible_man
Suckah.

seconded.

As usual, society needs scapegoats. Parents/guardians/whoever don't want to believe that "little jimmy", a product of their genes, is capable of being a psychopath or psychotic. They want to believe that megadeth, or video games, or films made them do it.

And we all know it's BS.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Bazilisck311
To put it another way, violence in music and media will always be a catalyst - it will never be a cause.

How do you know this for sure?

Seriously, you made some good points, but I think that media can influence us to the point of actually instilling behavioral traits and ideas we wouldn't have otherwise had. In fact, there are whole industries built around this idea; advertising, for one.

I guess your argument would be that someone won't go into a store to buy toilet paper and come out with a gun unless they had a predisposition to buy guns in the first place. But you can't actually prove that for sure. I'd say you're mostly right, but there would have to be some exceptions. There are always exceptions!
well, I'm putting forward a new argument. Heavy metal means less killing.

let's see, heavy metal started around 1970, right?

the ancient romans had gladiator fights, and that stopped when heavy metal came around (a bit before, but who's counting?)

world war II and I stopped when heavy metal came around.

The cold war ended around the time rust in peace was released.

and so forth.

I really can't buy this absolute bullshit about heavy metal making people kill. We're the safest we've been in pretty much any time in our history.

In Victorian London, people were afraid to walk the streets, and they only had classical music.

Gah!
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Page 1 of 2