well, speed metal symphony is cacophony/jason becker. At least I'm pretty sure. Soooo glasgow Kiss.
Quote by metallicarulz69
WHich would be better song for guitar glasgow kiss or speed metal symphony.

file sharing!!! TUT!
Tunes, gear and other random stuff can be found in my "UG" profile if you click my name
John petrucci is better then vai

but vai is a great player
VHT Special 6 ultra
TC HOF Reverb
Line 6 DL4
EHX OD Glove
Fender standard Tele
Ibanez Rga121
Taylor GA 214E
I second that.
My Gear-
Schecter 006 BlackJack
Ovation Tangent T357
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Roland Cube 60
Boss NS-2, CE-5, DS-1
DiMarzio Pedal Couplers
I dunno if Petrucci is better.
Fire strings anyone, Jibboom?
I think its very close though.
Even if petrucci has more technical talent. I hate listening to dream theater. It just isnt listenable for more then a few songs at a time.
Quote by boardsofcanada
^^

<_<
~Bass'-play-er.

The #1 member of the club that isn't terribly predjudiced against emo. Get over yourselves.
PM me, or just say # x
And part of Fortysix and twos Defenders of Emo club.

" Zach_F I love you for that."
They're way too different to compare. They have different styles, different songs... Both are great artists in what they do; what you prefer, is a matter of your own taste really.
Jackson DKMG & KE3, Fender Mexican Strat, Stagg Acoustic

Boss Compressor & Chorus, Dunlop Crybaby, Behringer Delay, ISP Decimator, Ibanez Tubescreamer

Laney TT50H, Marshall 1960A, Roland Cube 15

Looking to jam in Belfast, PM me!
Quote by ScottishAngus
file sharing!!! TUT!

Hahaha! I love when people download falsely named music and think that its from a different artist than it is, or the song title is different.
RIP SYD
Member #6 of the "SZ over RG Club!" PM ibanez4lifeSZ to join.
Quote by Zach_F
I dunno if Petrucci is better.
Fire strings anyone, Jibboom?
I think its very close though.
Even if petrucci has more technical talent. I hate listening to dream theater. It just isnt listenable for more then a few songs at a time.

I would say that Vai is far more technically proficient than Petrucci. Anyway, I've never been a big Dream Theater fan, the music always seemed too...mechanical for me.
where not talkin about the bands where talkin about the 2 guys....

for get the backing bands.....
VHT Special 6 ultra
TC HOF Reverb
Line 6 DL4
EHX OD Glove
Fender standard Tele
Ibanez Rga121
Taylor GA 214E
Quote by the_white_bunny
where not talkin about the bands where talkin about the 2 guys....

for get the backing bands.....

Fine, his playing seems too mechanical. I'm not insulting his playing, it's just not what I look for in music. That said, I own Rock Discipline, and it's just brilliant.
You can never go wrong with Steve Vai
I watch my memories fade with time, but I'm too young to worry.... .a7x.
Actually Petrucci is quite a unique shredder and IMO his chops pwn Vai's. Some of Vai's stuff is very techinical and nice sounding. Dream Theater is one of my favourite bands just because they are so *mechanical*. I just love how they sound.

And yes Speed Metal Symphony is by Jason Becker. He's got ALS now so he can't paly guitar but the guy was a monster.
My Gear :

Guitar:
Squier '51 (Dimarzio PAF Pro) (10-52s)
Roland Cube 15
Behringer X-V-Amp
Digitech Bad Monkey
BOSS DS-1 (modded)

Bass:
Yamaha RBX270 (55-110s)
Behringer BXL900
EHX Bass Balls Pedal
EHX Big Muff Pi Pedal
WHAT!? Come on guys, I would say that purely technically Petrucci gets pwned by Vai. They are two of my favourite shredders of all time, but Vais technique moshes all over pinky anchoring tense gay hair JP (even though Stream of Conciousness solo rocks my world)

Cooley pwns them both]

Saying all that, JP has some tracks I adore, as does Vai. But on a playoff basis, Vai has to win.
How can a track be better than any other...

Threadstarter: you don't know the first thing about these two artists, so please crawl back into your hole (which hopefully has no threadstarting capabilities)

(And yes, pure technically, Vai is far more capable... Fact)
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
I'd actually say that Petrucci is better. I think they're about equal on a technical scale, but Petrucci's songwriting ability blows Vai's out of the water.
what happened to the proposed Kirk Hammett flamenco album?

His acoustic didn't sound good with wah pedal, I suppose.
Don't know who wrote "Glasgow Kiss" originally, but it's on Petrucci's "Suspended Animation"... As for technical abilities, ugh. Petrucci is indeed a very "mechanical" player, but not in the bad meaning of it. His technique is very "proper", very precise. Vai can do a lot of crazy weird stuff, but I'm unsure if you can call that "technique"... Though honestly, on their level, how can you even compare who is "better"? They're both unique, and both are outstanding players, everything else is just a matter of personal taste.

And yes, most of Vai's songs blow. :p
Jackson DKMG & KE3, Fender Mexican Strat, Stagg Acoustic

Boss Compressor & Chorus, Dunlop Crybaby, Behringer Delay, ISP Decimator, Ibanez Tubescreamer

Laney TT50H, Marshall 1960A, Roland Cube 15

Looking to jam in Belfast, PM me!
Quote by Doubleday
I'd actually say that Petrucci is better. I think they're about equal on a technical scale, but Petrucci's songwriting ability blows Vai's out of the water.

Songwriting is, to a large extent, subjective, so I don't think you can really say that one writes "better" songs than the other. I definitely prefer Vai's songs to Petrucci's, but I can easily see how one would disagree.
How you can say that Vai is technically worse than petrucci is beyond me, look at both of their live videos. Petrucci amazes me, but Vai challenges my braincells reality
vai is some time al over the place...

look at the G3 in toyko john kinda buts vai and sach to shame...
VHT Special 6 ultra
TC HOF Reverb
Line 6 DL4
EHX OD Glove
Fender standard Tele
Ibanez Rga121
Taylor GA 214E
Id say Petrucci's technique is strictly all about discipline, but these days Petrucci just relies more in his picking...
one should not feel threatened by opinions contrary to his own
Both are great guitarist that have different approaches to their playing. They both have their own styles but I would perfer to listen to Petrucci over Vai.
Current Rig
Guitar: Jackson DK-1
Amp: Peavey JSX 212
Effects: Morley Bad Horsie 2 Wah, ISP Decimator,
MXR 10 Band EQ
I love both but

Vai > petrucci

I think Vai stands on his own much better than John, he also has this weird "corky" sense of melody which i just love.
TEEP!!! Oiiiiiiieeeeeeeyyy!!!!!!
Last edited by Neon Knight at May 17, 2006,