I'm trying to play that "Not exactly country but kinda sounds like folk" sound. (I.E. Bright eyes CDs; I'm wide awake and it's morning/Lifted). Anyway, what kinda chords or melodies should I use to achieve this sound?
from what little i've heard, it sounds like he plays with a slide on some songs. i believe that's what you're describing. a very warm, smooth, fluid type of thing, right?
try looking up some tabs (if you haven't already), and see for yourself what progressions he used..
Quote by gonzosrevenge55
from what little i've heard, it sounds like he plays with a slide on some songs. i believe that's what you're describing. a very warm, smooth, fluid type of thing, right?
try looking up some tabs (if you haven't already), and see for yourself what progressions he used..

I dont think he's playing slide...Ummm alot of his progressions in his folk songs are really simple, like E to A to F#M or C to G to F. I don't know maybe I'm just a bad guitar player. haha.
well, i know that he used it a little on fevers and mirrors. that's about the only cd i've heard. and don't be so quick to rag on your skills. just experiment a bit. i haven't heard his stuff in a while, but i think he might do a little fingerpicking. or maybe just playing chords out note by note.
try learning or at least having a look at the songs and study what techniques, chords, etc are being used.