When listening to certain groups, I find all of their songs have a certain sound to them, like guster always has a weird, catchy sound. Hawthorne Heights, however easy or hated they might be for some people, each song has a similar sound.

I know this is something everyone should know, but I've never thought to ask about it. Is it simply because the band uses the same chords over and over? Like AC/DC only using three chords (with variations etc.)

Now if this is true, you can answer this question. I was fooling around with an E9 chord, now say I make a band, if I used all E chords, would I accomplish that feeling of having a similar sound throughout all my songs?
yeah but your music will suck
█████████████████
█████████████████
███████████████
██████████████
███████████████
█████████████████
█████████████████
█████████████████
i think it relies more on major/minor keys (the clash used a lot of major keys), effects (the cure uses a lot of reverb) and lyrical style (rapping/shouting with ratm). if ou can get one of those down like noone else, youve got a unique sound.
Quote by SForbz-Rockstar
You're a bald gopher with wings that lives in the countryside, working on a farm.

Quote by Bubban
Having sex in a pool full of jello? How strangely erotic. No, not just any sex, butts-*gets shot*

God bless the underdog and God bless the antihero.
Winged gopher's got it.
While using few chords can give you a similar sound, you could use variations of an e major in one song and variations of a B minor in another, and get a TOTALLY different sound.
Effects, Rythyms and Singing sets a similar mood.
Sort of how Yngwie uses a ton of reverb, Triplets and whenever there's singing, its in a typical metal style.
Quote by boardsofcanada
^^

<_<
~Bass'-play-er.

The #1 member of the club that isn't terribly predjudiced against emo. Get over yourselves.
PM me, or just say # x
And part of Fortysix and twos Defenders of Emo club.

" Zach_F I love you for that."
There's a lot more to having 'your own' sound than using same chords through your all songs. :p Delve deeper into music theory/styles, you'll find there's a plenty of things you can use to be consistant without being repetitive.
Jackson DKMG & KE3, Fender Mexican Strat, Stagg Acoustic

Boss Compressor & Chorus, Dunlop Crybaby, Behringer Delay, ISP Decimator, Ibanez Tubescreamer

Laney TT50H, Marshall 1960A, Roland Cube 15

Looking to jam in Belfast, PM me!
Yeah, I recently got all set up to record stuff, and I've found that I'm really unsatisfied with the riffs I'm creating. I'll look into using a certain key through chords, I have a really nice multieffects pedal as well, so I'll mix and match.