Well, as some observant people possibly would have noticed, I sold my PodXT in favour of funding a Mesa/Boogie 1x12 Thiele cab, with the 200 watt EV speaker.

This thing sounds great, I am impressed. The ports make the bass responce great, and I can turn the lows and resonance all the way up on my 5150 and it will thump out and give a thick low end, and still stay tight. Both things which the Avatar can't do. I think if I mic the ports, as well as the speaker, when I get around to recording, it will make it sound real thick.

Its VERY small and relativly light(although its actually almost the weight of the Avatar 2x12, its a lot smaller and easier to carry), and it sounds relatively big, altough you can tell its no 4x12, just doesnt move that amount of air, but the size of this thing would definately fool you. Its sounds as big as at least a 2x12.

I have yet to use it in a band situation, but I am hoping it will fare well, because that is why I bought it in the first place.

My Avatar 2x12 sounds good at home, in my room, but in my drummers basement it makes my amp sound like pure garbage, thin, ball-less and not strained. Might be because of the semi open back.

We shall see with this cab, but I have high hopes.

Heres a pic.
Last edited by electrik at May 16, 2006,
cool man. i would prefer a 4x12 cab with my 5150II but thats still gotta sound killer. you should look into a Bias mod for the head!
^Yeah I know. I would love a 4x12, but I would HATE to lift it and drag it from house to house and to and from band practise and gigs. To be honest I'm just too weak.

And yeah, the bias mod is high on my to do list, along with ordering a high gain retube kit for it from Eurotubes.
nice man, Mesa doesn't mess around, you know you're getting quality. Interested to hear how it performs with your band.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Is the porting actually meant to be on the side? Or did you just turn it.
Quote by Mascot
Is the porting actually meant to be on the side? Or did you just turn it.

It's actually meant to be on the side.

Hmm, that's a first. . .

Usually any porting that hasn't been on the bottom has been in various places using a cylindrical like hole. . . not a port like that. Interesting.
I think there are 2 rectangular shaped ports. The flash is kinda decieving.
Last edited by electrik at May 16, 2006,
Sweet man. Sounds killer
How much did it cost ya, and how heavey is it?
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
Quote by mexican_shred
Sweet man. Sounds killer
How much did it cost ya, and how heavey is it?

All in all, the 5150 II and Avatar cost me $900 CAD together. The Mesa cost be $325 CAD. Thats $813, and $293 USD, respectively.

The head weighs about 50 pounds, the Avatar 45, the Mesa 42. But the 1x12 is definately much much easier to carry than the 2x12, regardless of the weight.

I'm hoping I might be able to sell the Avatar and get another one of these Thieles... That would kick.
Thats an awomse price for that amp rig.

I think when i get my markIV head i may go the same cab route.
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
When you were comparing the two, did you have it set up like you have in the pic? Because the Mesa being close the your ears and the Avatar down low probably changed the sound alot. My Twin changes incredible between having it setting straight up, and then tilted back on the legs.
Fender '82 Walnut Strat
Fender '65 Twin Reverb Reissue
Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive
EHX English Muff'n
Boss DD-6
Quote by SGloserkid
When you were comparing the two, did you have it set up like you have in the pic? Because the Mesa being close the your ears and the Avatar down low probably changed the sound alot. My Twin changes incredible between having it setting straight up, and then tilted back on the legs.

Nope, I just did that for picture purposes. There really is a tremendous sound difference.
awesome. did you buy the boogie cab new?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Nope, got it used local.

I just found another local deal. I'm going to trade the Avatar for a 3/4 back 1x12 widebody Boogie cab. Sweeet.
Quote by TheFluffy
Do you have any idea what the cab is tuned to?

Drop C ?

LOL, nah I have no idea.

Quote by mexican_shred
any sound clips?!

Wanna sponser me for some recording gear?
Quote by electrik
Drop C ?

LOL, nah I have no idea.

If ya ever find it sometime, pm me with it...id like to build one but its hard to tell what to tune it to.

(just incase you didnt know, the tuning would be in HZ)
Quote by TheFluffy

If ya ever find it sometime, pm me with it...id like to build one but its hard to tell what to tune it to.

(just incase you didnt know, the tuning would be in HZ)

Yeah, I'll see if I can find that out sometime.