Do they sound the same (on the neck and middle pickup)? That being, I always thought that the fender strat pickups were rather unique, but, do many pickups sound like them? Specifically the ones in a G&L Legacy, which I hear is better make than Fender.

If not Ill just get the Fender HSS for it, if not.. or if you can think of any HSS Strats that sound like a fender but with better build quality, go ahead.
G&L's are pretty awesome. Even the lower-end Tribute series have the same American pickups as the higher-end models.

The quality is very very nice on all models. The only problem I have with G&L is the weird headstock and the lack of the skunkstripe on the neck. I'm also not a fan of the perloid pickguards.

American Stratocaster + Blues Junior

My Tribute doesn't have any pearloid pickguard. The stock pickups had great tone but were a bit weak for what I was playing. I changed out to a hotter set from GFS and haven't looked at another strat of any kind. Great playing guitars...
It's a fine line between clever and stupid.
Quote by Mudder
My Tribute doesn't have any pearloid pickguard. The stock pickups had great tone but were a bit weak for what I was playing. I changed out to a hotter set from GFS and haven't looked at another strat of any kind. Great playing guitars...

Which GFS? And I'm guessin you like em?
Love in technicolour, sprayed out on walls
Well I've been pounding at the pavement
'Til there's nothing at all
I got my cloak and dagger
In a bar room brawl
See the local loves a fighter
Loves a winner to fall
Well, if you get one of the S500 G&Ls, the pole pieces can be adjusted for height. Thus, the output for each string is different and the sound can be different.

Also, the S500 has a two-way (or maybe it was three) switch in combination with the standard 5-way. You can get a nice, thick tone out of the pups depending on where you place the switch.

The Legacy is G&L's other Strat-style guitar and its tone is somewhat similar to a Fender Strat.
I went with the $50 set of hot alnico staggered singles. I like them a lot, I think similar to texas special output, great bridge tone for lead, the middle is very nice for blues and such. Just a great deal on pickups; you pay as much for 3 as for one of most others.
It's a fine line between clever and stupid.
Quote by Mudder
I went with the $50 set of hot alnico staggered singles. I like them a lot, I think similar to texas special output, great bridge tone for lead, the middle is very nice for blues and such. Just a great deal on pickups; you pay as much for 3 as for one of most others.

Yeh I'm thinkin about throwin a set in my strat, thanks for the reply.
Love in technicolour, sprayed out on walls
Well I've been pounding at the pavement
'Til there's nothing at all
I got my cloak and dagger
In a bar room brawl
See the local loves a fighter
Loves a winner to fall