I was wondering if anyone can help me. I CANT PLAY FAST, and it pisses me off. I know practice helps but it dont help me. I have slow fingers and was wondering if anyone could tell me some ways of practicing at getting my fingers to work faster. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
find a simple riff you know and like thats somewhat challenging.

play it over and over, increasing the speed as you can comfortably and effortlessly

try it in different places, further up, further down, other strings

move on to another one. repeat. (thats practice.)

maybe some moving power chord stuff like nirvana, thats what i got my start on.
Consider this

Look at your favorite guitar player..or just a player that is exceptional in physical guitar ability..they play lightning fast with dead accuracy and fluidity.

Ask yourself this, do you think that what they're playing is HARD for them to play? Do you thing they are TENSE when playing it?
Speed Mechanics For Lead Guitar, by Troy Stetina.

Usually, I don't like how books teach, but this one can do wonders given the time and patience.

Really, the key to being fast is playing SO SLOW THAT IT IS MENTALLY PAINFUL. At first, it will drive you nuts. Do each of the exercises at such a slow rate that it takes a while to do it four or five times. Pay attention to every, EVERY, EVERY EVERY detail that you can in your hand movements. (i.e. "what does my pinky do when i fret with my ring finger?" or "how tense is my hand when i do this movement?" --- EVERYTHING!) Give it anywhere from 2 to 3 hours a day for a year, and you be one fast mutha ****a.

It's not easy.

red
Looking for my India/Django.
Step by step........... step .......BITEZ.... step..
Tone is all ...... well probably 75%, in your fingers.
The rest depends on your wallet's thickness !!

Keep the faith, baby!!
Like they said, minimize your movement. For a crazy example, watch randy rhoads playing the fill in crazy train that goes up the fretboard on the E and B strings. You'll **** your pants...it doesnt look like his fingers move.
Originally Posted by Corwinoid
Metal doesn't hold hands, it gets head in the van before the show. Seriously.

Quote by michaelh86
I was wondering if anyone can help me. I CANT PLAY FAST, and it pisses me off. I know practice helps but it dont help me. I have slow fingers and was wondering if anyone could tell me some ways of practicing at getting my fingers to work faster. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

i said this in another thread and i think it bears repeating, how fast can you move your fingers when not playing the guitar? like when you tap all 4 on the table in an anxious type manner..... pretty quick right? (at least if you wanted to you could) its the same on the guitar..... after that it just coordinating your pick hand to move w/ it
Quote by z4twenny
i said this in another thread and i think it bears repeating, how fast can you move your fingers when not playing the guitar? like when you tap all 4 on the table in an anxious type manner..... pretty quick right? (at least if you wanted to you could) its the same on the guitar..... after that it just coordinating your pick hand to move w/ it

Well, it's really a bit more than that.

To paraphrase Bruce Lee "I don't need to move my hand fast if its already there."
yes i'll agree it is a bit more than that, but it all boils down to moving your fingers faster, i had the same problem, then i just realized i was being lazy and needed to move my fingers faster if i wanted to go quicker. and again, it was in another thread but i think it bears repeating, most physical limitations, especially on the guitar, are all in your head.
Ya alot of things are in your head push yourself start slowly then when you can do it fast push yourself harder and harder
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
okay..just saying "use a metronome" isn't gonna help ne body.
now if u say use a metronome to be sure ur in time when ur playing slow and speeding up THAT helps somebody
okay the whole moving really slow is news to me, but thats good advice.

what i would like to know is what do you do with your movements?

say, when i fret with my ring finger my pinky follows.

should i embrace that and make it effortless or try to correct it so that only my ring finger moves? what would be better in the long run?
Quote by boardsofcanada
should i embrace that and make it effortless or try to correct it so that only my ring finger moves? what would be better in the long run?

Generally, you want to be a big massive technique nazi. If its not "in theory" perfect, then dont practice it.

Try as much as possible to make sure only your ring moves. In the end, while its very hard to acheive, its the better option. See, if you let your little finger do whatever it wants, it has a tendancy to curl up in quite a tense manner, playing havock with your economy of motion and to boot, just messing with the rest of your hand's movements.

I once taught a guy and we had to get his pinky working again, it wasnt pretty. Sometimes it was literally behind the fretboard...

Anyway, you get my point? You want to work off a few unavoidable principles of good technique...

1) Everything should feel just about effortless - this means making sure you're exerting only as much force as you need, and that you dont have any other tensions. For example, i have a pupil who when bending, tends to lift his right shoulder a lot. Because he's trying to put more effort into the bend, he's actually making himself REQUIRE more effort...vicious circle.

2) Know it before you ingrain it. If you feel like learning a new technique, make sure you research inside and out, to make sure you dont ingrain any bad habits. If you dont know about left hand muting when sweeping, you're going to train awful habits into your hand.

3) The fundamentals of technique are the most important. Should you

A) work on your fingers working as independant digits and staying low to the fretboard?
B) learn a sweep and tap solo?

Obviously, the latter will be what will "impress" people - including yourself! - but the former will lead to the greatest dividends.

To take the fundamentals example further - the worst parts of my technique are my left hand THUMB and FIRST finger. Now, most people take these for granted, and assume they're working because they're playing well, but on fast legato runs, especially pull-offs, my index finger has a tendancy to want to stay on it's fret for each string. I can't tell you the harm this does to my technique, its a HUGE deal, really. Because of a very simple, innocuous, natural-feeling habit, i limit what i can do with legato - stretches, simple speed, hammeron-only legato, string crossing - to a huge extent.

My thumb presses too hard into the back of the fretboard, slowing down my position shifts and making left hand technique more work.

Simple rule of thumb - if you havent noticed it as being good, its probably not. So pay attention to EVERYTHING. Do you lift your other fingers when bending with one? Does your forearm tense up on fast runs and you assume its natural because you're making more effort? And so on!
This kid in guitar class asked me to show him some scales (he's completely self taught and doesnt know any) so I was starting to show him the major scale when I noticed his techinque. Ouch. He's technically better than me (he's played for 3 years or so, me, 1 1/2), playing like speed metal stuff in class...but he aint goin anywhere with his technique. Basically, when I do, say, the major scale, my hand doesnt move at all...my fingers do all the movement since it's all little position changes. When he does it... his hand moves up and down his fingers shoot in the air etc etc.. I cant explain it, except by saying that it made my hand hurt thinking of it lol. So I'm teaching him how to move as little as possible.

The moral of the story: dont start playing fast unless you've gotten technique down pretty well slowly.
Originally Posted by Corwinoid
Metal doesn't hold hands, it gets head in the van before the show. Seriously.

Quote by Freepower

My thumb presses too hard into the back of the fretboard, slowing down my position shifts and making left hand technique more work.

what do you suggest to counter that?
hmm, some shredders will probably disagree with me on this but speed comes with time. Alot of people get into guitar and think, okay I can play chords, now i'm gonna try and play speed metal - bad choice. The most important thing with speed is comfort, it should come with ease. If you have to warm up for ten minutes of hard picking exercises before you play your piece somethings not right. I'd go and do something else, learn to make the guitar wail, you dont have to play fast to do that, and by doing it you'll slowly but surely gain the speed your after. Its not something you can specifically try to learn.
Quote by mangablade
what do you suggest to counter that?

Well, im just working more on the correct amount of force, good posture, and appropriate use of thumb force.

For example, playing certain chords, its unavoidable, but you only need the lightest of touches to do a hammeron line - as usual, its an issue of control. Once you NOTICE your thumb is doing you harm, you can work on it, rather than be mystified by your mistakes.
Quote by Def
hmm, some shredders will probably disagree with me on this but speed comes with time..... Its not something you can specifically try to learn....

Yes and no. There's absolutely NO guarantee you'll ever be able to play fast
just by the amount of time you put in. None whatsoever.

You need time AND the right practice attitude. You may have to learn a lot of things
that might seem uncomfortable at first. Your fingers don't come out of the box
knowing how to play a guitar.

Speed IS something you can train for. It's just that direct route will not get you there.
What sre some ways of building up the strength in my fingers. And please dont say masturbation...lol
Tapping your fingers on a table or your leg when you're watching TV, or in class or wherever. Repeat until your fingers get tired then keep going.