Well, I think I may start taking guitar lessons at a conservatory near my house. I think though that instead of one on one teachers, you take the lessons in a class? Now to me that soudns liek a lot of fun, but how much would change than if I went and took one on one lessons with a teacher? WOuld I be missing some things, would I learn slower, or is it actually better than getting a teacher?
Alta Vera - My real life alternative rock band.
Ashen Spire - My personal metal band.

Super Mario, F-Zero & Dragonball Z covers!

PSN: whatev27

Let me ask you, does a machine like yourself ever experience fear?

a CLASS with an awesome teacher would be better than one on one imo.

more people means you can all just kind of hang out also, and be competitive, which will puch you all to work harder. and a good teacher will STILL be able to give you one on one help.

go for it!
On the other hand, one on one, the teacher is focusing all this attention on YOU, the whole time, so you can have the lesson focused much more on your own skills and problems than a general lesson with other people. You'll also likely learn faster and better. Both have pros and cons.
I will show you something different from either
Your shadow in the morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you
I will show you fear in a handful of dust
I took class lessons and private lessons from the same teacher, at the same time, while in college. Your progress will be slower, but more consistent in a class. One on one, you'll develop a better repetoire, and push yourself faster. Most schools have a program for individual instruction -- I'd recommend a semester of class, and then both together, honestly.

On the bit about competition/drive/pushing each other.... not really in a class setting. You meet people, talk a bit... but in general, musicians, especially in acadamia, are incredibly accepting of people at different levels, and you'll see a huge divergence really quickly in a class.

While I was in school, I noticed a pretty big drive while in the private instruction program, both because of the program, and myself; and because of the other students that I got to work with. It's not really a competetive atmosphere, but it's definitely a highly creative, highly personal and collaborative, and energetic environment.

Arguably, I learned as much from working with the other students, just touching on some ideas, and some music, than I did from the lessons.
Quote by les_kris
Corwinoid is God
I'm not even God-like... I've officially usurped the Almighty's throne.
Click here to worship me.

Member #3 of the Corwinoid Fan Club
dont go no where first learn the basics then chanlege your self you learn faster and everything depens on you most teachers wear you of and you will trow your gutair away
Well ive been playing for about a year now and know all the basics already. I wanna go to perfect my playing and what i already know, and to learn more. i wont be throwing my guitar away any time soon lol.

Depends on the person...some people love class lessons due to less pressure and more enjoyment. You learn slower in a class but theres less chance of you hating learning if there are others in the same boat.
Well when I was 8, I used to take piano lessons with a teacher, and I remember not liking it that much....I dont htink it was the piano playing as was the teacher and the stuff I had to practice. I think Id enjoy a class. But actually I just started to think that, I might learn slower about some htings, but I would learn more about thigns liek playing with other people that would get me ready to play in a band.