I've been burning to ask this.

Any tips on vocal recording. Regarding aspects of Equalizer levels. Reverb. Compressors. etc. The basics for getting it right...

I use Sonar 4 and go through trail and error each time to get a recording to sound decent.

Are there any rules of thumb on vocal recording - or any form of home recording for that matter.

Any input/tips shall be greatly appreciated.
My vocal style is (usually) really harsh and bile soaked, so I was screwed until I made myself a pop filter (out of a pair of my ex girls tights and a coat hanger ...Or you could buy a commercial one, but it's cheaper and funner to have a pop filter where a girl's arse has a been.)

That way breathing and plosives don't mess up the tracks.

EQ wise, I usually cut anything under 30 HTZ and over 5000. I could probably go outside that range, but I find that if I EQ everything, nothing really clashes.

It's notcied that when recording, it's always worth having at least some backing vocals, or extra vocals in studio versions of any song, (ex. instrumentals ) so I've been doing extra takes, duplicating takes, and panning it, etc.
send the vocals via a send to another stereo channel. In that channel set up some delay (use the one in sonar - stereo delay) with the left delay at about 35ms and the right at about 50ms (change to suit your style of singing). then mix that in lowish in the mix. That will fill out the vocals without drowning it in reverb.

thats my favourite trick and i do it on all my tracks. yo udon't notice it there, but you notice when it's missing.
^ That is actually an interesting idea.

When I reverb up vox, I have to duplicate the original to keep the sound from drowning.

I tried using delay, it went pretty well.

Better than reverb, but I still had to duplicate the channels.

I reckon than on a decent piece of software I can set the depth too...