I was wondering in what way could these two brands differ so much in pricing although they are under the same company. In wat way does the epiphone appears inferior to gibson. I thought of getting an epiphone Les Paul standard due to my budget constrain.Epiphone users out there does ur LP produce a sweet and whole note ? pls advice tnx.
i think its just tht gibsons are made in america, wheras epiphones are made in asia...but there must be something else to it...neway, my first guitar ever was a les paul special (epiphone base model) and I still have it, I was gonna upgrade to a les paul standard but couldn't hear much difference in tones
epiphones generally have cheaper materials and are made in china/korea while gibsons use better woods and are made in the usa. Even though you can get some epiphones which are amazing and some gibsons which are crap but the above is a general rule.
btw search button is your friend
Tunes, gear and other random stuff can be found in my "UG" profile if you click my name
gibsons are all hand made and constructed, which can leave minor flaws, but in general is a far better quality instrument
epis are assembly-line made, more uniform, but doesn't have the percision of a gibson

epis are great guitars tho! but if you have the money play a gibson and decide. if you don't have the money DON'T play a gibson!!! you'll just want it and wont be able to get it
Epiphone is just a company that works with Gibson and makes cheaper copies of Gibson guitars with cheaper material. But just because they're cheaper doesn't mean that they're bad guitars. Alot of the epiphones sound almost as good as their Gibson counterpart. Esp guitars also has a similar situation with LTD.
Quote by cefasnacht
gibsons are all hand made and constructed, which can leave minor flaws, but in general is a far better quality instrument

Gibsons are all machine made apart from the custom shop...
Tunes, gear and other random stuff can be found in my "UG" profile if you click my name
i have a special epiphone and sg ive played the gibson many times i cant realy notice any majour difference they both give that garage type of sound
epiphones are still amazing guitars, the gibson just has better materials, made in the states, and better pickups
any begginers i would recomend a ephiphone easy the prie diference isnt worth it
Quote by ScottishAngus

Nope. Well, partly, yes. But roughly half of the work on the gibsons are done by hand. The wood is dried by machine, and the top is carved out by machine as well. Most of the work with the neck is done by hand though. The binding is done by hand. The sides are sanded by hand to take away excess of glue and make sure the binding is in order. The neck is glued onto the body by hand. The carving of the neck to fit the body is also done by hand. The guitar is sanded by hand before the finish and painting is applied.

Now im tired, so i wont add the horde of other thigns that are done by hand. Suffice to say that you were both wrong at least.
Quote by ScottishAngus

There's a lot of truth to that. Their 'handmade' claim is a marketing ploy and is misleading.

With Epiphone, a slab of wood is placed on the assembly line (most likely by a machine) and the piece will go thru a series of CNC routers, milling machines, etc. Out the other end comes a guitar body. There's some level of hand assembly (neck to body, finish, wiring, etc), but most of the work is done be either a machine, or a factory line worker who knows jack-shìt about guitar building other than the small taks they were trained to do for assembly. That's how Gibson / Epi get away claiming that their guitars are 'hand crafted' in Korea / China.

Gibson's manufacturing is also heavily automated. Automated machinery cuts the bodies, routes out the cavities, neck pocket, etc. However, there's a lot more hands-on attention to detail by actual trained pros. A person will put the piece of wood into the router / milling machine and supervise the automated cutting operation. Parts are closely inspected at each stage of production. A lot of the tasks that are automated with Epi (installing frets, binding, inlays, sanding, neck fitting, etc) are a hands-on process assisted by automated equipment with Gibson. This is true even to some extent for their custom shop too.

So yeah. These days, there are very few guitars that are completely hand-made like they used to be.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
Quote by ScottishAngus

Hell, even a drill press is a machine .........
Do you think even a luthier sits there with his bare hands physically molding the mahogny shape into a guitar? ^^
Epiphones say "Epiphone" on the headstock and Gibson say "Gibson on the headstock... the Epi has cheaper hardware (which can be upgraded) Gibsons have a prettier flametop and Epiphones cost 10% of the price of a Gibson.

For me Epiphone > Gibson. (I upgrade the pups in any of my guitars anyhow)
Quote by guitarforever<3
Do you think even a luthier sits there with his bare hands physically molding the mahogny shape into a guitar? ^^

There are some luthiers that still do that and manage to charge less for their guitars than Gibson does...
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor