Hey, need som help with serial numbers. I just bought a gibbo classic LP, and it only had a 6 digit serial. I Take it so that its supposed to be like a 60 les paul standard, in this aspect as well. However, this leaves me with a problem. I don't know how to read off a 6 digit serial, so i'd appreciate some help. The serial is: 054958.

Thanks.
Oh no, its much "younger" than that. I bought it new off a store, so its should have been made somewhere between 03-05, really. Its quite frustrating, though, that they couldn't use the new 8-digit system on the LP classics as well.

EDIT: No pics yet, im afraid. I had my camera stolen on a vacation nearly a year ago, and still the insurance company delays
It definately wasn't made in 03-05, or it would have an 8-digit serial. ALL Gibsons produced after 1977, regardless of model, use the new 8-digit serial numbering system without exception. If you bought it NEW in that time frame, then it's quite possible that the guitar is a fake.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
You just made me very afraid. Doesn't Gibson have a 24 hour support service? Do you know the number there?

Ah, nevermind

I manged to find it myself. As it turns out, the gibson les paul classics are actually made with 6 digit serials. My particular sample was appearantly made in 2005.
Last edited by guitarforever<3 at May 17, 2006,
Yup, 24 hour support: 1-800-4-GIBSON

Hope they can tell you that's it's original...

And FYI - for the current Gibson 8-digit serial...

first and fifth digits are the year of production. The 2nd thru 4th digits tell you the day it was made (045 would mean the 45th day of the year), and the last 3 numbers tell you the plant it was produced at, as well as what number it is for that day. Previously, 000-499 indicated production at the Kalamazoo plant (which closed in the early 80s), and 500-999 was the Nashville plant. Current numbers start at 300-899 and indicate Nashvill production. 900+ indicates custom models. so last number 450 would mean is was the 150th guitar stamped that day.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Last edited by Crunchmeister at May 17, 2006,
Well, I'm glad that's the case. DId you call them for the info or find it online?

yeah its true...gibson classics use the old 6 digit serial number and some use a 5 digit where its a number, space then 4 numters (ex 5 4883)

i guess they do it to go along with the whole "classic" theme. either way its not fake becuase of it.
Quote by deg0ey
The best pickups for emo are no pickups at all...

Gear:

1996 Les Paul Classic w/ Alnico II's
Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
just curious... what would the serial 013953005 indicate? i can see it was made in 05 but where and when was it stamped and all that?
My Gear:

Schecter Hellraiser C-1 FR (EMG 85/81)
Mesa Boogie Stiletto Deuce
LOPO Custom 2x12 (Celestion V30s)
There areen't 9 digits in a gibson serial, there are 8. Yours might be an exception, but if thats the case, i dont know.

For the 8 digit serials, however, the first and the fifth digit denotes the year it was made. The 2nd, 3rd and the 4th says which day of that year it was made, while the last three tells you How many instruments were stamped before yours in that factory.

For example, if your serial is 00105645, this means it was stamped the tenth of january 2005, and that it was the 345th instrument stamped that day.

The reason its the 345th and not the 645 as the number would suggest, is because if the serial ends with 300-999 this means it was made at their nashville plant, while 001-300 is other.
sorry, 01395305 thats it. does that mean the mine was the 5th to be stamped in the Nashville plant that day?
My Gear:

Yes, im pretty sure of that. Decide for yourself if that was a good thing or not

And it was made the 139th day of 2005.
Quote by guitarforever<3
Yes, im pretty sure of that. Decide for yourself if that was a good thing or not

And it was made the 139th day of 2005.

well, mine was one of the first to be stamped. I guess it's not really that good but it's interesting to know
My Gear:

Hey guys Ive got a charvel, oldish, probaly late 80's model. Pretty shure its a 475, but not quite shure which series.

serial is 356835 exacte same specs as a normal charvel 475.. notshure about deluxe or super or any other variation though.
*Might* not even be a 475, but im pretty shure.

Can anyone help? its hard to track these down because of the fact that the company sort of died... their new website sucks, they dont really do these kind of guitars anymore.
can't help, we were talking about Gibson serials. Maybe go on their website/call them?
My Gear:

It'll be hard finding out the info from that serial then. Your best bet is probably to call their custom support.
Yah website sucks, i geuss i'll call them over skype some time, no ways im paying international phone bill...

sorry about going off topic.. go on..
Hehe, no problem. This thread was pretty much dead anyway, so the mods are prob counting their blessings that you didn't make a new thread Good job
I know.. kind of what I was thinking, way too many people that just come i here and create a profile to ask one stupid question that was answered in about 10 other threads or could have been added to them anyways.
your gibson was 958th made that day and based on a 1954 model....i also had this ponder...i have a classic plus 5 1112 model number...only the classic reissues have this smaller serial number as they where the 1st pruduced..the bigger serials didnt come into play till 77....check my page for a ogle of my baby !...peace Ringo
Quote by ringocp2006
your gibson was 958th made that day and based on a 1954 model....i also had this ponder...i have a classic plus 5 1112 model number...only the classic reissues have this smaller serial number as they where the 1st pruduced..the bigger serials didnt come into play till 77....check my page for a ogle of my baby !...peace Ringo

uuummm....I was going to ask why you bumped such and old thread say 'hey just PM the guy' and then I checked it on guitardaterproject.org and got this:

(granted that site is still new I think to doing Gibson but it is a great site)

Serial number unrecognized

Your guitar may have been made prior to 1977, in that case you may need to use the Vintage Panel, simply select all the options that best describe your guitar. If you are still having difficulties please contact the webmaster.