Hi, i was wondering, if anyone would have any advice for me on learning to shred, i have been playing for 6months and i would really like to know the next step in leanring of what i should practice or leanr to be able to shred, please any help i would appreciate.
well scales would help.......also a little extra experience would help you cant just start actually shredding right from the get go......but hey ive seen some ppl do it who were REALY REALLY commited so maybe you can.........try looking up your favorite shreds and do them that would also help
fender strat
fender acoustic
line6 spider 2 150 watt
can of, rock your face off

..................you cant spell crap without rap.......................
fIRST OF ALL PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE. NO ONE CAN SHRED IF THET DONT PRACTICE AT LEAST 3 HOURS A DAY. i WOULD DEFINATELY START LEARNING SCALES AND THE MODES. DEPENDING ON YOUR PLAYING ABILITY START LEARNING APPREGIOS. ALSO FINGER EXERCISES ARE KEY TOO. DEVELOP THE USE OF ALTERNATE PICKING. IT WILL TAKE SOME TIME ESPECIALLY IF YOU HAVE ONLY BEEN PLAYING FOR 6 MONTHS, BUT JUST KEEP AT IT. GOOD LUCK!
practice practice and practice, dont get ahead of yourself and just practice. paul gilbert - 9 hours a day for 10 years.
who are you to wave your finger......
Hey.

Im in the same situation. I've been playing for 2 and a half years and mainly done rock. Now I'm moving onto shred. The main thing you have to do while learning to shred is take it slow.
Im not going to say I'm a good shredder, but from what I've heard from people, I know what can help.

Firstly, ALWAYS use a metronome. Start of using it slow then eventually build your speed up. Perfect practice is better than trying to play fast but sloppy.

You should consider trying the 21 day routine.

This is playing exercises and licks slowly to a metronome for 21 days. It is best to do this strictly though, as in do it every day for 21 days. This is said to help build up speed and is best for accuracy. This is the method I am using at the moment. I will let you know if it works after the 21 days.

You should also learn the well known shred techniques such as:

Alternate Picking
Economy Picking
Sweep Picking
Legato
Tapping
String Skipping

There are great lessons on UG that you can check out to help you. I found them very useful. Also for sweep picking you should the UG Steal This Video. I found this 10 times more helpful than simply reading lessons.

As for exercises you should look at Steve Vai's 10 Hour Guitar Work Out.

I used this and just varied the exercises to suit me. Using these to a metronome is also a must for best accuracy.

Finally, a lot of people will probably say to you that you should search the forum before posting. This is true. There are hundreds of shred topics in this forum. Also you should check out the 80's Rock, Shred & Progressive Forum

Now I hope that helps for now. Any questions then do ask.

Sam
Paul Gilbert probably doesn't have many friends or many qualifications

But anyway yeh as people said learn your scales. You've gotta be able to play them without thinking about where the notes are - your fingers need to know!
practice big time also if your being self taught invest in a few shreder books or dvds like freelicks.net speed tone and theory or quickstrat guide but keep practicing slash did for 12hours a day through his school years
Quote by smb
Paul Gilbert probably doesn't have many friends or many qualifications

From what I know of Paul Gilbert I would be surprised if he didn't have more freinds than most people... he is by far THE nicest person I've ever met. Althogh of course he's nice to his fans.
He does have a music qualification.
To the other person, Paul didn't practice so much to develope speed, he really enjoyed playing guitar regardless of what he was doing with it or what he was playing.
Aswell as that, Paul didn't get into speed until about 6 years into playing the guitar. He played mostly chordal stuff. He also claims that he thought that was important for him, aswell as doing a lot of legato.
On a side note, when I did meet Paul, while with my freind, Prophet Of Page, POP was wearing a T-shirt that said "Caution, Tempermental Musician" and Paul said, "did Yngwie give you that T-shirt?".
He also signed my geetar!
Originally posted by WlCmToTheJungle "you have just received the amish computer virus. Since the amish dont have computers it's based on there honor system so please delete all of your files immediatly. thank you
start with minor pentatonic scale. it's simple, lots of classic rock uses it, and you can learn the full scale easily from there. From the full major scale, you can go on to learning modes and other scales...
Quote by smb
Haha - like his Yngwie joke

But still, ten hours a day is way too much.

not in the summer......in the summer that is way too little

do what phatty says.........also using the 21 day method is by far the most effecient way of practicing and you should take atvantage of it for the rest of your life........thats what i did for half a year......practiced slowly ALOT.........now im much cleaner and can play nearly whatever i want.....but youve not been playing long so dont get discouraged because somthings only develop with time

anywayz good luck!
Don't mock Yngwie if you can't play like Yngwie...........
Tone is all ...... well probably 75%, in your fingers.
The rest depends on your wallet's thickness !!

Keep the faith, baby!!
Quote by bluespunkmetal
Don't mock Yngwie if you can't play like Yngwie...........

Dont mock george w bush if you're not the president.

What do these two comments have in common?

Neither make sense!

Anyway, on topic...

I am by no means a shredder, but my friend is one of the best I know. He basically spent an entire summer running through scales for 4-5 hours a day. Make sure you have a metronome.

I went down the road to be a shredder at one point and started doing hardcore scale practice every day...got bored to ****, lost interest in guitar. Now I'm back to learning songs. Really, think it over...you might end up like me, I lost interest in guitar for a while cause I had bored myself so much with scales. Then again, I gained a lot from it. I've noticed that the speed and flexibility I got during that stage let me learn solos now a lot easier.
Originally Posted by Corwinoid
Metal doesn't hold hands, it gets head in the van before the show. Seriously.

experience.....you'll be able to shred in a shorter amount of time if your ebeen playing for a good 3 years or so rather than 6 monthys....well what i think anyways
satch boogie
^^Not true my uncle was playing for 15 years and couldn't shred much at all because he didn't practice efficiently....

Like someone(sorry for forgetting the name) said "It's not the quantity of time spent practising, it's the quality of time practising"..or something to that effect.
'If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch you must first invent the Universe' - Carl Sagan.
i starting to get into shred too...just PRACTISE PRACTICE PRACTICE its all about the practice also learn ur scales
do patterns and exercises.....dont just play scales 10 hours a day
Here are some links with some really good resources:

This site has hundreds of links written out for you, and a lot of material to read on scales and how to learn them fast, as well as other stuff.
MyGuitarSolo.com

This site has A LOT of stuff from the most basic to some pretty advanced material. Look for the Melodic Patterns in the Music Theory section.
Zentao Guitar Lessons

This site will both brighten your day and make you want to quit guitar at the same time. It has 36(I believe) really difficult licks for you to learn, while some animated monk-guy "plays" them and does some pretty funky actions to go with them.
Guitar Shred Show

This site gives the formula and notes for just about every scale imaginable.
Scores of Scales

And here's an online metronome for you to use.
Online Metronome