For small gigs? Should be ok. What size venue are we talking? And what kinda music?
if you need to hear yourself over a drum kit then you need more like 30watts. if your gonna play through a PA and have monitors then you can get away with 15W but personally I'd fork out the exra cash for 30 or 50 watts.
If it smells OK, taste it.
My 15watt valve amp easily overpowers drums, so should be fine.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Hell, my piece of **** 15 watt SOLID STATE could play over drums if I cranked it. A 15 watt tube amp would have no problem, and it would sound awesome because you'd have to crank it higher.
Yeah, I've just never understood that. I've always heard all this fretting about 'oh dear, will my x watt tube amp be able to be heard over the drums.' And I'm pretty sure the answer will always be yes. I used to know a guy that would gig with a 15 watt princeton I think and he had absolutely no difficulty, and it was a fairly large venue, like, a 200 seat auditorium.

But maybe I'm wrong and all this buzz about watts is valid.
"If you tried to give rock and roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'."
- John Lennon
Quote by Habukkuk
Yeah, I've just never understood that. I've always heard all this fretting about 'oh dear, will my x watt tube amp be able to be heard over the drums.' And I'm pretty sure the answer will always be yes. I used to know a guy that would gig with a 15 watt princeton I think and he had absolutely no difficulty, and it was a fairly large venue, like, a 200 seat auditorium.

I don't know, i used my 15 watt groove tubes amp at a gig i played at a school auditorium and i had it maxed on volume and gain just to get around, and then it blew a fuse at the end of a song, so it most likely depends on the amp and drummer
Quote by stringmagician
I don't know, i used my 15 watt groove tubes amp at a gig i played at a school auditorium and i had it maxed on volume and gain just to get around, and then it blew a fuse at the end of a song, so it most likely depends on the amp and drummer

Well there you have it. Once again I don't know s#@$
"If you tried to give rock and roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'."
- John Lennon
15 watt tube should work for something like a 100-200 person gig.
primusfan
It's better with no teeth, trust me. Much fewer scars on my penis now that I've switched from seniors in high school to senior citizens.
Quote by Habukkuk

Depending on the style of music, really. You can get away playing with a 15-30w 1x12 tube amp for soft rock/blues/less agressive jazz, once you verge into louder musics you need louder amplifiers, simple enough I know I sure as hell couldn't play in a death metal band with a blues junior. The drums alone would drown out my guitar in a heartbeat. And no, 'play this softer' doesn't really work, guys. Sometimes, the beats are meant to be played loud or unable to be played quietly. You can't expect someone to beat the **** out of a bunch of cymbals and have them quiet the whole time. *Sigh*

Some people will never understand.
the only way u will really no is if u try! i play with a drummer whos idea of playing is trying to break the skins on the kit we all have big amps the smallest beeing my a 100 watt vox going throught a home built 4x12 and i go home deaf from practise. if u have a decent PA and it is mic, u will have no problems, but iv seen 30 watt all tube mesa with 1 10inch speaker blow away 150 valve state marshall gouing through a 4x12, so go figure
Quote by Habukkuk
Well there you have it. Once again I don't know s#@$

no worries, i might not know **** either my amp says Soul-O 45 on it, but my friend's fender delux is about twice as loud as mine at 4 out of 12 and that's 30 watts, so mine might be only 10 watts

oh man, i just thought about my main amp being ten watts... weak dude

edit: big luke, when the hell did you see that?
whoa, I hate over-aggresive drummers !!
Tone is all ...... well probably 75%, in your fingers.
The rest depends on your wallet's thickness !!

Keep the faith, baby!!
Quote by big_luke_24
the only way u will really no is if u try! i play with a drummer whos idea of playing is trying to break the skins on the kit we all have big amps the smallest beeing my a 100 watt vox going throught a home built 4x12 and i go home deaf from practise. if u have a decent PA and it is mic, u will have no problems, but iv seen 30 watt all tube mesa with 1 10inch speaker blow away 150 valve state marshall gouing through a 4x12, so go figure

Everything this guy says reeks of n00b.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
Quote by That_Pink_Queen
Everything this guy says reeks of n00b.

+1

and also what genicide said.
say wat u want it, was at a pub gig, at or local pub the sandbar, i was talkin to dude who owns the amp it was a class A amp mesa boogie, with a really weird output tube set up it can run dual tubes aparently or single, aparently the amp was really rare i cant rember cause buy the time i was talkin to him i was half pissed, but that amp rocked, but class A amp all tube 30 watts amps is equally to bout a 100 wat soild state, and when u sit them side by side by u no why