Hi!

This is my first post on the UG forums, so be easy on me.

ANYWAY, I'm studying electrical engineering right now, and I've decided to do random projects related to circuits, I've built a Fender 5F1 (Tweed Champ) and a Big Muff Pi. I'm also planning on building a Marshall 1974 circuit.

You can find project kits for amps off sites like www.tubetoneamps.com and www.tedweber.com if you're interested. There are plenty more sites, those are just the ones I use. (caution: if you aren't familiar with electrical circuits, you might want to read up on a few books or take a few classes on analog circuits and components, tube amps contain LETHAL voltages.)

Certain tools you'll find necessary to build a tube amp or an effects pedal:
  • Some type of board/surface for your circuit
    This can range from a turret/eyelet board to a breadboard.
  • A soldering Iron (and solder)
    Even if you use a breadboard, you're gonna need something to solder leads from your input/output jacks, pots, etc.
  • A digital multimeter
    Because you're gonna need to measure resistors, voltages, etc
  • Screwdrivers
    Always helpful
  • Wire strippers
  • Pliers

There's prob. more stuff I should add to the list, I'll add it when it comes to mind.

Anyway, so one day I came across a schematic for the ElectroHarmonix Big Muff Pi ( http://www.tonepad.com/project.asp?id=3 ). I always wanted one, but never wanted to buy one (they're around $50 on ebay). So I decided, since I had a spare breadboard lying around, that I could just build it for free by "borrowing" parts from my circuits lab.

So, here's what the circuit looks like before I connected the Pots and input/output jacks

Sorry for the low quality, I don't have a camera aside from my phone. Also, ignore most of the electonics you see outside of the breadboard, they play no part in the actual circuit.

I connected the pots, input output jacks and an on/off DPDT button later, they cover up most of the circuit, but if you want to see a picture, I could post one up.

The final step is to find a project box, drill some holes, and get everything mounted (the project box, which is gonna cost me actual money... ).
Last edited by greenbox at May 17, 2006,
I'd like to see some pics of that Fender you made!

This project seems cool, make sure you give us some clips when done.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Quote by R_H_C_P

Me too, I'd rather see that Marshall 1974 though. I've always wondered what they sound like but no one around me has them and i'd rather not fork over 3 grand for an amp.
Quote by GiantRaven
I'm sure theres a Nigerian king just waiting for you to reply to his email
Quote by R_H_C_P

Sure! (I made some pictures as I went)

This is the chassis with the power transformer, output transformer, tube sockets, tubes, input/output jacks, pilot light, fuse, and volume control mounted.

This is the eyelet board with the components mounted. (Pretty simple, eh?)

Here's the front, you can see the power transformer, output transformer, etc.

Here's a view from the top

View of the completed amp from the top.

Closeup

Front view

Again, sorry for the poor photo quality.
Also, it was my first project, I've since learned ALOT more about making cleaner wiring configurations.
Last edited by greenbox at May 17, 2006,
Nice, I'm almost done with a Fender 5e3 type amp...damn fuse keeps blowing though. I hate debugging. And hehe, I love breadboards, I just bought like 3 more on ebay so I now have nice big one...I need it though, I'm getting into delays and chorus's and stuff.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.

Just upgraded my breadboard, old one was WAY to small
Let it be known that I am quite possibly the worst stomp box mfg on the boards. I don't even think this box can withstand stomping. It's more of a "tap it gently" box. But hey, it works. I'll get sound clips whenever I have time to setup my mic. And whenever I can get knobs.

^Lookin' very smooth.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
^Wow, huge box!
hey does anyone know where i can get a schematic for buiding an electro harmonix hot tubes overdrive pedal?
Quote by That_Pink_Queen
^Wow, huge box!

It is a BIG muff.
#12 of the "Ibanez SZ over RG Club!" PM ibanez4life SZ! to join!

I 'salvaged' the knobs off some old ibanez les paul copy.

Ok, I got some sound clips in:
(Did I mention I really CAN'T play guitar?)

Big Muff Pi
It's more fooling around with the thing

My Tweed Champ
I just played the last mini rift from the big muff sound clip using different volume settings. The overdrive really distorts when I push the amp.