Im been asked to play in a speed metal band but i cant keep up with the pace of the song. is there any advice you can give me or should i just say i can't play speed? please answer asap

thank you
Get a metronome and practice some fast licks with it and keep speeding it up. Just practice like crazy, work every finger out and get them strong.
Just take what you are learning, start very slow then when its perfect, speed it up a bit, then get it perfect and speed it up again, it takes some time but thats the best way to learn. Just push yourself a little bit at a time. Also buy a metronome, that will help alot. Make sure you get it perfect each time you speed up a bit.
keep practicing, or pick a fast song and keep working at that song and play it faster and faster
Ibanez GSR190 Bass
Ibanez IBZ10B amp

Ibanez GAX30
Boss DS-1 Distortion
also u can check the lessons on this site they might have something
Ibanez GSR190 Bass
Ibanez IBZ10B amp

Ibanez GAX30
Boss DS-1 Distortion
you always have the ability to play at speed unless you've got some illness or condition. you just need to practice.

there's been quite a few topics about increasing speed. some of the advice that has been given is:

- play at slow speeds in practice - you need to be very accurate (speed is a by product of accuracy).

- Learn your scales well enough so that you don't have to think where the notes are.

- learn techniques such as sweeping, legato and tremolo picking

i've been assuming it's lead your playing for some reason. however, if it's rhythm, i think points 1 and 2 will still apply.
Playing a guitar is like typing on a keyboard, Speed comes with experience.

You dont type uber fast the first ever time you start typing on a keyboard do you?

But.. A metronome will help you on your way, along with a good sense of timing.
Quote by Rock-god
Playing a guitar is like typing on a keyboard, Speed comes with experience.

You dont type uber fast the first ever time you start typing on a keyboard do you?

Not really. Playing a guitar is WAY more complex than typing.
You can play for a million years and yet never achieve good fluid speed.
Not only do you need time, but you need to use that time to focus your
practice on building the right technique. If you don't, you'll hit a level beyond
which you'll never be able to go. It's not automatic with experience.
Start out slow then speed up. Speed comes with accuracy. Without accuracy u just have a bunch of noise.
You can also buy a gripmaster, that'll help your finger strength, and then it also helps you control your fingers better. While doing that, it gives more strength for your pinky and ring finger, then you can go a bit quicker...

I'm not sure if it helps speed that much, I'm just brainstorming.

Just practice man, or see if they can change styles, or find a different band...
speed metal?
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
Get a metronome ( available from most good music stores ) and start practising some licks etc. and start to slowly increase the speed. This not only helps with the speed but also improves your timing.
Looking to buy a Fender Jagstang, u sellin?
A Gripmaster is a spring device that will allow you to work each finger.

I don't want to totally divorce finger strength from speed, but you need MUCH more
skill than strength to play at speed. The Gripmaster will be very little help. Very
little. I have one. It's an OK tool when you don't have a guitar handy, but you're
MUCH better off working on your finger movements right on the guitar.