Evening chaps, well after changing my mind a few times i finally decided on the Ibanez RG321MH after i tried it out in the shop.

Its a great guitar, has a good solid feel to it and is quite weighty which i like.

I also bought myself a Roland Cube-30 Amp which is equally good, some good effects and Amp models on there which im currently experimenting with.

Regarding the pickups on the RG321MH, ive heard loads of people on the site mention that they are pants and the guitar would be miles better if they were swapped with some others.

Unfortunately with me being a beginner i fail to see whats so bad about them, i havent had the experience of trying other guitars with better pickups on - what would i gain by swapping them out for better ones? Would the sound be clearer, deeper bass etc

Thanks

AdamC
depending on which pickups you go for:

they'll sound clearer- it'll pick up the notes more clearly and be less muddy.

you can get pickups that aren't as "hot"- they'll have better cleans, but not as heavy distortion.

or you can get pickups that are "hotter"- more distortion, and probably not as good cleans (although they'll probably have better cleans than your stock pickups).

they won't sound so sterile.

Great beginner setup, by the way.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
hey, congratulations.Thats a great rig for starting out. I wouldn't bother changing out the pickups until your ears develops and gets a taste for the tones you ike etc.
Tunes, gear and other random stuff can be found in my "UG" profile if you click my name
First off, that's an AWESOME first rig. I bow to you for having the patence to research that.

Anyways, leave the pickups for now, you don't need to upgrade them until you develop your ear a bit more. But if you really want to, tell us what exactly you want, and we'll try to help out. Do you want more clarity? Tighter bass? Stronger treble? More mids? Powerful harmonics?

Are you in the UK?
i agree with danno13, you really dont need to upgade them right now but the better pickups can have multiple differences in the tone, bass, treble, everything
Ibanez GSR190 Bass
Ibanez IBZ10B amp

Ibanez GAX30
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Hey guys, thanks for the kind comments

The guitar's an early birthday present and i bought the Amp myself. I spent ages researching what kind of guitar would suit me best, and seeing how i like rock music ( Black Sabbath, Led Zeppellin, Metallica ) i decided on the Ibanez.

As ive said im more than happy with the guitar as it is, especially like you say how ive not learnt to hear the music properly yet - its just that everyone seems to change the pickups or be advised to change them at some time for better ones.

To be frank i wouldnt know whether i needed Tighter Bass / Stronger Treble yet - i only had my fourth guitar lesson last night

Danno13 - im UK / Cheshire based mate

Thanks again

AdamC
^ yeah, hang onto the stock pickups then.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^A smart new guitar player, now that you don't see a lot!
That's a great rig to start on.

Another Cheshire person, woo!
I'm from Sale.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Quote by Danno13
Are you in the UK?

I wonder what you might recommend if he says yes
Double Neck Project - Winner of 2006 GB&C "Best guitar build from scratch", "(Best) Most expensive build" and "Best Idea" awards - FINISHED!

Member #2 of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join.
Quote by Calum_Barrow
I wonder what you might recommend if he says yes

duncans for the win!

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
'Grats on the excellent first setup bro! I'm gonna repeat what everyone else has said by saying just leave it stock until your ear develops. If you need advice or help don't be afraid to ask, as far as I've seen most of the community won't bite your hands off.
dude, actually doing research, making good decisions! wish I woulda been that smart... haha.... I would just stick with your stock pickups, pickups are mostly based on preferece, and since you may not know a lot about the differences different pickups can give you and how to get the right sound for you, you may want to hold off. Just upgrade when you find your niche. My advice would just to be stick with lessons, and make sure you have a good teacher. Cheers man, good luck.
For these things give thanks at nightfall:The day gone, a guttered torch,A sword tested, the troth of a maid,Ice crossed, ale drunk.-The Hávamál
Welcome to the world of Electric Guitars!

I wouldn't bother changing pickups until you learn to play. Practice tuning by ear, go to guitar shops and plug your Ibanez into different amps. Play different rigs altogether until your ear hears what needs to be changed - if anything. Everyone likes a slightly different tone; presence, bass, brilliance, treble, etc. And everyone wants a slightly different tonal style from their guitar too; dark, clean, sharp, crisp, light, heavy etc.

Just enjoy playing for now!

Good Luck,
Cody
Dude, where's your drums? Where's your drums dude? Dude, where's your drums? Dude.