im thinking of installing one my self, but i cant find any help from web sites or any thing. what i need is how to install the wiering and the actual switch, can any one help me?
what kind of switch: really, any type will do, from your most simple SPST switch onwards. you can get different switches depending on how you want it to work (toggle switch, momentary button....whatever)

how to wire it: use it to connect the hot wire (the one that goes to the output jack) directly to ground
Quote by rubberbullets
if you've got two volume controls it's already wired, what guitar is it

no its not, its just a simple trick where you switch between the two pickups with one volume full and one volume down. thats not a killswitch
its a peavey... raptor something or another... i cant remember at the moment...
Quote by rubberbullets
difference being?

A killswitch actually, y'know, kills the output of your guitar.
It just switches everything off.

And allows you the use of both pickups, any settings you like, when unengaged.

Basically, the switching pickups deal is a cheat way of doing it; you're not killing the output, you're enabling a different output, but that output's output is nil.
on an epi, flicking up and down is a great way to snap off that 3way.

http://www.stinkfoot.se/andreas/diy/mods/killswitch.htm
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Last edited by jj1565 at May 18, 2006,
i have this schematic, and it shows that you need a thing that can take the wire from the volume to the switch, then to the switch then the ground. do i need something that has that? What im thinking of using is a little red button, that has a place for a ground and the power, would that work good??? if not, please tell me what i should use. thanx for the help peeps.

(im not black)
My Les Paul has the volume switch for I dunno which pickup, but you can turn it all the way down to act like a killswitch(Tom Morello). Yea... it's pretty sweet.
Mesa Dual Rec/ Mesa 4X12 cab
01 PRS Custom 22
06 PRS Singlecut Ann.
1965 Fender Mustang
Ibanez acoustic
AceFrehley Epiphone LP
Takamine Explorer
tr-2 tu-2 / EHX DMM / MXR Script Phase 90 / SMM w/ HAZR
WH-1 Whammy / 535Q Crybaby
Yeah Tom Morello uses the dual volume and toggle trick alot, like in Bulls on Parade. He does it by using a high gain amp, putting one pickup on zero volume and the other on full, and moving one hand over the strings and using the other to flick the toggle switch. This makes the awesome dj type scratch sound. Its pretty crazy, but so simple.
Quote by tank69
i have this schematic, and it shows that you need a thing that can take the wire from the volume to the switch, then to the switch then the ground. do i need something that has that? What im thinking of using is a little red button, that has a place for a ground and the power, would that work good??? if not, please tell me what i should use. thanx for the help peeps.

(im not black)

u can use a toggle switch.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics,_pickups/Components:_Switches_and_knobs/Mini_Toggle_Switches.html

they also have types that u click in. and i put a link in my last post.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Quote by greyalien
Yeah Tom Morello uses the dual volume and toggle trick alot, like in Bulls on Parade. He does it by using a high gain amp, putting one pickup on zero volume and the other on full, and moving one hand over the strings and using the other to flick the toggle switch. This makes the awesome dj type scratch sound. Its pretty crazy, but so simple.

No, Tom has killswitches on his Strat-type guitars so that he can use either pickup instead of just one. His other guitars use the volume technique though. He also uses a tremolo pedal on songs like Guerilla Radio, you can tell because the sound fades out quickly instead of just cutting out. I use a ton of gain and mids to keep the sustain when I use mine, its so much easier. Matt Bellamy (Muse) has a Fernades Sustainer on his guitar, which you can instead, provided you have a flat-top guitar.
what kind of wire should i be using???the gage? or is it special stuff. and what type of sodder should i use...
around 22 gauge, and 60/40 rosin core solder.

in the US radioshack has kits, with solder and heat sinks (clips that help prevent component over heats)
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

i GUESS you would put any old switch anywhere after the volume pots.....
yeah, or the switch i linked above.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62