I've been working on them for over a month and i cant do barre chords. The note on the 2nd string never rings and I can't seem to be able to fix it. I've been playing guitar for only 2 months just so you know. Am i doomed to never be able to do bar chords because I haven't improved in the slightest bit in over month. Im frustrated as fuck.
No, you're not doomed..lol..barre chords take a while to master. Just keep practicing...also, if you can, try rolling your index finger back a little bit, so you're using a little bit of the side of yoru finger. that helped me
My Gear:
Agile AL-3000 Prestige
Custom Made Electric
Oscar Shmidt OE-30 w/ Bigsby
Ibanez V70cent Electric Acoustic
Carlo Robelli CW4110 Acoustic

Mesa/Boogie F-50 Combo
Boss DD-3
Boss PH-3
2 months is nothing. I can Barre pretty well and my first doesn't really ring all the time. Just hang in there. You grip will build and it wll get cleaner.
Quote by Fallon, Jones & Sage Francis

"By the way my name is Marcus. But if you like you can call me Sensei."

American Idol - or as I call it, the Gong Show Rip-Off

According to #Yeezuz, Kanye West is a god. As if I needed more reasons to be an atheist.
barre chords are hard for most guitarists just keep practicing them and you will get better with them. They take a while to get used to and i still have the same problem you do sometimes. And take the advice everyone else is giving you.
Don't worry about doing barre chords, worry about strengthening your fingers.

When your fingers are strong enough, you can do them.

I used to be completely unable to bridge more than 2 strings, but now I can barre 5, 6 with extra effort.
Believe it or not, it's very little about finger strength and very much about
accuracy and leverage.

First of all, realize that you don't necessarily need to have the pressure go
across all strings. Only those that are actually played by the barre. So the
pressure points can be directed.

Second and most important, squeezing real hard with your fingers will only
get you a cramped hand and make it difficult to change chords. Use the weight
of your relaxed arm to do most of the work pressing the strings down. The
fingers need only direct that force where you want it.
listen to edg. and roll the fretting finger on its side a little too.
that's how i got better at it.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Excellent advice that.

I used to squeeze the fretboard so hard not only did it hurt but I thought at times I'd damage the neck.

It's exactly as the above poter states, it's about technique not strenght.
hmm i never really had problems with the barre chord a good one to start out with is the f maj which is baring all the first frets then doing a regular major e beside it and then work your way to e min and a and so on first just practice putting your finger straight and play them then add the triad to it remeber use your pointer to bar then the others to form the triad and there really not that essential to learn bar chords are really for begginer players or shortcuts and tehn if all else fails you might just have a ****ty guitar haha
Last edited by THEBLuesGRUNGER at May 17, 2006,
sometimes you dont need to hear all the strings. when i do barres in the E shape my 2nd string (b) almost never rings. if you play loud enough, and i play acoustic, the muffled or buzzy sound doesnt matter.
"Hey kid. You wanna cigarette?"

"No thanks! I/m already hooked on Fonicks!"

Quote by THEBLuesGRUNGER
bar chords are really for begginer players or shortcuts and tehn if all else fails you might just have a ****ty guitar haha

What a complete load of twaddle.

Barre chords are NOT beginner chords and there certainly not shortcuts.

I have the feeling that you are talking about power chords. Maybe not. But either way you sound like an arse.
Quote by Panasonic3
sometimes you dont need to hear all the strings. when i do barres in the E shape my 2nd string (b) almost never rings. if you play loud enough, and i play acoustic, the muffled or buzzy sound doesnt matter.

I could be wrong but I'd say it was extremely important to hear every note in any chord.