Would you guys consider using guitar pro as the cheap way out of learning a song? I kind of feel this way because what if I wont have guitar pro(or any other similar program for that matter) for a certain song. It would be hard for me to learn a song because im not used to it. Or what about instructional video's that teach you songs like freelicks.net. What are your opinions on this?
Minister of Zeppelinism, PM TheHeartBreaker to join
#6 member of the oasis fan club
Cardinal of The 1st Church of Frusciantism
'89 fender american strat
Vox ad15vt
Peavey raptor plus EXP(bridge: alnico 2 pro)
yamaha f-310p
I use guitar pro, it rocks, i have the fully licensed version and can print out tab and sheet music!

Guitar pro is the way forwards!
My Kit:

Encore Precision Bass
Cort Artisan A4 Bass

Kustom KBA10
Laney RB5 Richter Bass Amp Combo

Zoom B2 Bass Pedal
20ft Lead x 2
Wireless Headphones

Quote by Noremorse96
i almost got my neighbour put in jail when i told them i petted his cack (penis slang)
Cheap?

Hell no, GP costs a bomb.

Cheating...

Not so much. There are a lot of things that are difficult to work out on your own. Effects can distort a lot of things, too. Basically, it's not any worse than reading tabs any other way.
don't pay for it, download it

and it isn't cheating
UG's Stock Market Guy

Hablo Español
Wǒ néng shuō Zhōngwén

So you can speak to me in English, Spanish or Chinese

My Recordings:

Dissident Blues
El Farol
Lenny
We'll Make This Work
Stop This Train
Quote by theneildeal
don't pay for it, download it

and it isn't cheating

from where???
Quote by Virgil_Hart05
Beating the elderly is a big favourite of mine. Also, pushing kids over and kicking pregnant women in the womb is fun.

Right now we're called 'Various Artists' just to fuck over people with iPods
I didnt mean cheap as money wise...
Minister of Zeppelinism, PM TheHeartBreaker to join
#6 member of the oasis fan club
Cardinal of The 1st Church of Frusciantism
'89 fender american strat
Vox ad15vt
Peavey raptor plus EXP(bridge: alnico 2 pro)
yamaha f-310p
it helps you learn it perfectly, i feel it gives you the timing and precision practise that playing it with a band would give, except the band doesnt mess up at all and you can slow it down and repeat it hundreds of times.

its just a bloody good programme
Cheating, absolutely not, I don't beleive in a cheap way to learn a song. People learn in different ways. Guitar Pro is an excellent program I use it for composing since I can do all my instruments, including drums and easily change things, adjust tempo...etc. It's great, and the printed out scores look nice and professional.

Why would you call this cheating?
GP is a revelation for teaching and learning. Wish i had it when i was a kid. I find pupils who use gp4 with the metronome and speed trainer progress WAY quicker. Only downside is stops people learning Notation as much.
i personally use powe tab, and for me, its easier to write and read. go to any power tab /GP tab on this website, then click get powertab or gp...there u go
Epiphone LP special II
-Duncan Designed pu's
Schecter c-1 Elite
-Neck:PAF Pro
-Bridge: Steve's Special
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
Ibanez Weeping Demon wah
Peavey studio pro 112 65 watt
Ampeg 50 watt
I prefer to slow down a song and read off a tab. I stand this way because of a few songs I learned where I learned it perfectly on guitar pro....then found out it had a lot of little differences from the real thing. I dont want to depend on the guy who made the gp tab. If I'm listening to the real song slowed down with a tab alongside, I can make corrections based on what I hear.

I liked GP for a long time though. I just prefer this way.

Nothing cheap about it.
Originally Posted by Corwinoid
Metal doesn't hold hands, it gets head in the van before the show. Seriously.

^^Yeah I see your point but to be honest I'll screw up timings on my own if I'm not reading others.

It's not cheating. Why would you punish yourself to learn things at a slower pace. I only just got this and already I'm seeing the benefits.
Quote by jimtaka
i'd say your guitar is out of tune, or you are accidentally muting strings that you aren't trying to, or your right hand isn't strumming at the same time that your left hand is fretting, or you could be reading the tab upside down...
Download it off the net, I didn't, but my friend did, if you pm me, I can get the link off him for it (probably )
My Kit:

Encore Precision Bass
Cort Artisan A4 Bass

Kustom KBA10
Laney RB5 Richter Bass Amp Combo

Zoom B2 Bass Pedal
20ft Lead x 2
Wireless Headphones

Quote by Noremorse96
i almost got my neighbour put in jail when i told them i petted his cack (penis slang)
Could you get me the link too? I'd like to try it out.

Whats the program like, is it like sibelius except more guitar orientated?
Quote by Dlawso
I like the gayiness of your style. You look like a pedophilliac on cocaine, with a handbag full och Twinkys....

My lifestyle determines my death style.

UG is clachan a choin
It's not cheating, but picking up songs from records is a good habit to get into; you'll probably learn more from that.
I actually learned most of what I know about notation from Guitar Pro.

It's cool because it lets you see when to hit the notes, not just what they are, and of course what it sounds like.

I definately wouldn't consider it cheating, at least not any more than using normal tabs is.
I used guitar Pro for years and I think its EXTREMLY useful because its easier to see how notes and timings relate to each other. I don't see how making something easier to understand and with more detail and sounds makes it cheating. If anything using guitar pro as a tool to assist you learning guitar playing is just logical.

Cheating? No.

on a side note:
If you go to www.mysongbook.com they have disabaled downloading files because of some copyright infringment or some bs like that, THAT IS TOTAL BULL****. Its a fracken USER summited tab! some tabs may have been off a score book or done by ear but its still user summited, I seriouly doubt I wont buy a album because I have the MIDI version of it -_-, stupid labels.
I like my women like I like my whiskey, 14 years old and full of coke.
^ The issue is not with buying albums, it's with buying (or rather, not buying) sheet music, if I understand it correctly.

UG is one of the few sites exempt because I think they pay royalties to whatever sheet music companies are getting pissed off.
I kind of think its cheating, yes. It's a quick way to yank the balls off the guitarists of the future.

...or maybe I'm just a purist
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
yeah, it's really better to learn by ear or by notation. that way, you learn the notes and how they fit together, as opposed to a bunch of hand positions that you learn nothing from. in other words, if you learn a song by notation or by ear and you find that it has a cool voicing of a B minor chord. well, hey, you just learned how to use that chord, and how to transpose it into other keys. if you learn only from tab, however, it's going to just be a hand position in a vaccuum, and you won't be able to adapt it and use it in other context. of course, you have to learn fingerings somehow, but don't become a slave to tab.
Quote by Dan Steinman
yeah, it's really better to learn by ear or by notation. that way, you learn the notes and how they fit together, as opposed to a bunch of hand positions that you learn nothing from. in other words, if you learn a song by notation or by ear and you find that it has a cool voicing of a B minor chord. well, hey, you just learned how to use that chord, and how to transpose it into other keys. if you learn only from tab, however, it's going to just be a hand position in a vaccuum, and you won't be able to adapt it and use it in other context. of course, you have to learn fingerings somehow, but don't become a slave to tab.

The obvious signs of a person who has never used the program.

Dan Steinman: "I don't this program well so I'll post a post based on my ignorance"

Anyways guitar pro has Music notation as well and you can just work with that with out seeing any tableture if you chose. I use notation when working with other intruments with the program (such as composing for piano, strings, orchestra, how ever as far as I know its only limited to G and F clefs), so there is almost full music notation support.

But of course you already knew that? am I right Dan Steinman?
I like my women like I like my whiskey, 14 years old and full of coke.