ive learned the major, minor, minor pentatonic, and major pentatonic scales, but now what scales do i need to know? should i learn all of their positions and what not?
Quote by gdm09
ive learned the major, minor, minor pentatonic, and major pentatonic scales, but now what scales do i need to know? should i learn all of their positions and what not?

Screw positions. Just memorize what notes are in each scale and learn the fretboard.
Minister of Zeppelinism, PM TheHeartBreaker to join
#6 member of the oasis fan club
Cardinal of The 1st Church of Frusciantism
'89 fender american strat
Vox ad15vt
Peavey raptor plus EXP(bridge: alnico 2 pro)
yamaha f-310p
Screw positions?!

Yes, learn the scales in all positions so you know where each note of the scale
is on the entire fretboad.

When you're done with that, then the REAL work can begin. Start to learn linear
patterns in all positions, then intervals, then diatonic triad patterns, then ... the
list goes on forever because there's always some new way to practice a scale and
look at it. The more ways you know cold, the more you will see just the entire
fretboard in your head and won't have to think positionally.

Memorizing note names, at least for improvisation, is about the least necessary
thing you need to know.
Quote by edg
Screw positions?!

Yes, learn the scales in all positions so you know where each note of the scale
is on the entire fretboad.

When you're done with that, then the REAL work can begin. Start to learn linear
patterns in all positions, then intervals, then diatonic triad patterns, then ... the
list goes on forever because there's always some new way to practice a scale and
look at it. The more ways you know cold, the more you will see just the entire
fretboard in your head and won't have to think positionally.

Memorizing note names, at least for improvisation, is about the least necessary
thing you need to know.

If you know the fretboard extremely well and you know the notes of each scale. It will be only second nature to you to know the scale inside and out. And for in terms of practising scales, you can just look at one area of the fretboard and youll know all the notes that are in that scale and you can make up your own excercise. Whats wrong with this logic?
Minister of Zeppelinism, PM TheHeartBreaker to join
#6 member of the oasis fan club
Cardinal of The 1st Church of Frusciantism
'89 fender american strat
Vox ad15vt
Peavey raptor plus EXP(bridge: alnico 2 pro)
yamaha f-310p
Learn some phrygian and harmonic minor scales, they are very "exotic" sounding scales so to speak. Try fooling around with the scales you already know. Whenever I make a little lick or solo I usually just use a phrygian scale over a couple of chords in whichever position sounds good. I also usually add notes here and there like a minor 2 or a minor 3. Also arpeggiated chords can sound very good when it comes to soloing and such.
learn loads of them.......never limit yourself to just one
Start learning all of the patterns of the scales you know. Once you have the patterns down, learn how to connect them and jump between them. It's a good idea to learn the scale going up and down one string at a time.

Once you have a better feel for those scales, you can start to learn the modes. You could also learn harmonic and melodic minor.

I think that learning the notes on the neck is very important for a lot of reasons. I also think it is good to learn scale patterns.
Summer Sale: Save 20% on Jam Tracks or Exotica. Save 30% when you buy both. Sale ends September 4th.
www.UnderTheGroove.com
Quote by UnderTheGroove
Start learning all of the patterns of the scales you know. Once you have the patterns down, learn how to connect them and jump between them. It's a good idea to learn the scale going up and down one string at a time.

Once you have a better feel for those scales, you can start to learn the modes. You could also learn harmonic and melodic minor.

I think that learning the notes on the neck is very important for a lot of reasons. I also think it is good to learn scale patterns.

I would say exactly this.