Hey

Is it normal that when you start using a fresh pick you find it near impossible to play?
Because ive been using 1mm tortex picks for nearly a year now and every time i have to use a new one i find that i have to play into them for at least 2 hours before i can get used to them. Does this mean i am using the wrong type of pick or something?
no, you arent using the wrong pick. and i have no clue why you cant play with a new pick. I love playing with new picks because they're better for pick scrapes and pinch harmonics. (to me at least)
a new pick is going to have slightly different friction, so maybe that's why
Jackson DKMG & KE3, Fender Mexican Strat, Stagg Acoustic

Boss Compressor & Chorus, Dunlop Crybaby, Behringer Delay, ISP Decimator, Ibanez Tubescreamer

Laney TT50H, Marshall 1960A, Roland Cube 15

Looking to jam in Belfast, PM me!
i think it feels weird when i pick up a new one too
I'm not racist.

I hate everyone the same.

probably cuz there new, and they have more friction since they havent been used much, so they'll be more grippy than slippery
I sorta notice that also. I too use the blue 1mm tortex picks, notice how your older ones have rounder edges at the tip?
Carvin DC127+Custom Lacewood Build+Godin SD--->Traynor YCV50BLUE

My Build IT'S DONE!
It could be that you want a slightly thinner pick or a pick with a slightly different shape.

I think the best thing would be to try out a whole bunch of different picks.

But... It's possibly to do with oils or coating that the manufacturer puts on the picks that you're sensitive to in your playing, so you need to break in a pick to get rid of that.