Page 1 of 2
All right I need some quick responses here, my friend is selling me his ephiphone explorer tomorrow for $50. The only info i have on it is that its blue and the pickups are active. I couldnt find anything about these on the epiphone website or harmony central. Can anyone help me out?? Is this a good deal or am i getting ripped off? I would buy something better but my parents are wicked and asian and i only have ~$50 in cash so this is my only hope. Currently I have a Vox Valvetronix AD30VT and a crappy Squire Strat. I play a wide variety of music from As I Lay Dying to Arch Enemy to Strung Out and a little shred too.

Thnx in advance.
i dont know i would say probally save up and get a epiphone goth explorer but i think you should try it before you buy
well, i mean try it, but for 50 bucks, thats cheap
Founder of the Trombone>Sax>all club, pm me my fellow 'boners!!

we hit harder than anyone else. Ug's lacrosse club, pm me or hrdcorelaxplaya to join!
Well for 50$ anything would be better than a Squire strat.
But as for music tastes, i dont know how good an explorer would be for as i lay dying, but whatever suits your fancy.
"it is better to be a part of beauty
for one instant and then to cease
to exist than to exist forever
and never be part of beauty"
-Don Marquis

Quote by nebraskan
People who are racist are probably the most ignorant alive.

A serious sig? WHATTT?
50$ for an electric guitar is very cheap :p unless it's like all messed up or something. so as long as it's actually playable, you're not getting 'ripped off', at least.
Jackson DKMG & KE3, Fender Mexican Strat, Stagg Acoustic

Boss Compressor & Chorus, Dunlop Crybaby, Behringer Delay, ISP Decimator, Ibanez Tubescreamer

Laney TT50H, Marshall 1960A, Roland Cube 15

Looking to jam in Belfast, PM me!
Thanks for the quick replies. I cant really buy a better guitar. My parents are asian and therefore evil and wont let me buy a guitar. This is the only guitar I can buy since I dont have a job and most of my money is in the bank.
As far as i know theres nothing wrong with the guitar except for some buckle rash whihc is no biggie and it needs a 9 volt for the pups.
Does anyone have more info on this guitar i.e. model, wood pups stuff like that? I know for a fact that it has active pickups and theyre not EMGS. Most likely they were put in afterward.
Well, those aren't stock pups.

I'd say, the pups are worth about that much alone.

You're not going to get a better deal, so you might as well go for it.
i say its a go but hopefully theres no problems
Last edited by guitarphillip at May 17, 2006,
Quote by sk8boardbob2
Thanks for the quick replies. I cant really buy a better guitar. My parents are asian and therefore evil and wont let me buy a guitar. This is the only guitar I can buy since I dont have a job and most of my money is in the bank.
As far as i know theres nothing wrong with the guitar except for some buckle rash whihc is no biggie and it needs a 9 volt for the pups.
Does anyone have more info on this guitar i.e. model, wood pups stuff like that? I know for a fact that it has active pickups and theyre not EMGS. Most likely they were put in afterward.

Your lucky you don't have jewish parents they are cheap asses

they have never put one penny towards my guitar or nearly anything I own
I can only find the Epi Korina 1958 explorer. It comes in what looks like natural and ebony. Other than that, I can't find an epi explorer in blue.

But, for $50 it's probably a good deal. Try it first though. I'm going to keep looking for info on it-If I find anything I'll edit.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Eh..I can't find anything on a blue Epi Explorer. The closest I could find was more blue looking Epi Goth Explorers. Maybe it's one of those?
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Nope its definatly a bright blue finish. Kind of a neon blue. And no my parents arent like Jews. They are just dicatators. Its not that they wont buy me guitar **** they wont even let me use my own money to buy a guitar. They think its a waste of time and that i suck so theres no point for me to get a nice guitar.
**** them. I can't stand to see musically talented kids get forced to quit because they have sh*tty, abusive parents. (Even if they don't hit you, taking away a gift in music should be considereed child abuse).

Do you have any pics of the guitar? Do you know if your friend painted it himself?

If he didn't, it's most likely a limited edition or discontinued Epi. No matter what though, if it's playable and has a nice sound, go for it.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Man, amazing deal! Take it, definately! I bought an Epi G-310 myself tonight. Great axes Epi makes!
My Gear:

2006 Fender American Strat
'58 Reissue Korina Gibson Flying V
1963 Harmony H53 Rocket
Squier Tele Custom II

Fender Champion 600
Quote by Shredding Sam
Man, amazing deal! Take it, definately! I bought an Epi G-310 myself tonight. Great axes Epi makes!

I'm not listening to you. You like Jay Tursner

Stay away from this axe!!!! it is the epi equivalent of a squier (or the explorer version of the special....) it has a bolt on neck and is made of plywood, if you look un epiphone rhoads v on ebay, you'll see what I mean

crappy explorer

If it is like this STAY AWAY they are terrible guitars. I've tried and HATED them
Did you try out the Epiphone?
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
The only blue explorer I can think of is the 80's one with the maple bolt on neck, with a plywood body.
Quote by tubab0y
Woohoo, I love you Ped!
But for $50...

I mean, hell, I don't think I've seen an offer better than that, even if it's a crappy guitar, it's still a guitar.

And I'm a believer that a first guitar should be incredibly crappy!
Quote by Keef-is-king
I'm not listening to you. You like Jay Tursner

Stay away from this axe!!!! it is the epi equivalent of a squier (or the explorer version of the special....) it has a bolt on neck and is made of plywood, if you look un epiphone rhoads v on ebay, you'll see what I mean

crappy explorer

If it is like this STAY AWAY they are terrible guitars. I've tried and HATED them

Um, excuse me? Aren't I free to like whichever brand I want? Just because I'm not a Fender or Gibson fanboy doesn't mean I can't still voice my opinion. So shut up. Thanks.
My Gear:

2006 Fender American Strat
'58 Reissue Korina Gibson Flying V
1963 Harmony H53 Rocket
Squier Tele Custom II

Fender Champion 600
No matter what the guitar is, it is probably still better than his squire. And really, for $50 it's a great deal no matter what. He already knows it has active pickups in it, so even if the guitar is a POS, he could probably still ebay the pickups and get enough cash to buy a better guitar.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Ya an epi is always better than a squire and if you get it can you post pics?
Member of the Metal Militia. PM Gibson_10 or AngelOfSorrow to join
I've played one of those blue explorers,crap. but for 50 bucks its better than a squire
Quote by rocknrollstar
"Oh baby baby yes yes YES! YES! *pinch harmonic*"
Not sure what the others are talking about but I thought Epi Explorers had either Mahogany or Korinna bodies. Mine is the Goth 58 in Mahogany. The standard buckers weren't stellar as far as distortion but the cleans were actually decent. After installing BurstBucker Pros, it was pretty good.
go 4 it or take up violin bet the azn rents would dole out some bucks for that, they just love child prodogies
^ That's quite stereotypical. How's the mullet?

Anywho, buy the guitar, put the bridge pickup in your Squier and then sell it to some idiot.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Quote by sk8boardbob2
I play a wide variety of music from As I Lay Dying to Arch Enemy to Strung Out and a little shred too. .

that is quite a "wide variety".

Hell an electric guitar with active pickups for $50, go for it. I doubt you could find a cheaper electric guitar if you tried, much less with actives.
Member #1 of the Mars Volta club. Pm happytimeharry to join
Quote by sk8boardbob2

Your not the only one (with evil parents) ive had to keep my "J Reynold's Double Cutaway (strat knock-off)" and really sh!tty Kustom kga10 (it plays blues great, but sucks for metal, as well as my strat.). They wount let me buy a new guitar or amp, even though i got enough for 3 mesa triple recto heads in the bank.
Quote by sethp
listen to RideTheAnger, he is wise beyond his years.

A recent study shows that 92% of all teenagers have moved on to rap music. Put this in your profile if you are one of the 8% who stayed with the real music
my parents won't even let me get my license...i turn 17 in a few weeks!

Once i do get my license, im gunna blow my whole bank account at gc. I Really want a Gibby Les Paul and a mesa dual recto.
Quote by sethp
listen to RideTheAnger, he is wise beyond his years.

A recent study shows that 92% of all teenagers have moved on to rap music. Put this in your profile if you are one of the 8% who stayed with the real music
You know personaly i dont like jews. But the funny thing is, besides all the stereotypes, most of the jewish kids I know are rich and their parents buy them tons of stuff no matter how much it costs..

Maby they break the first rule of judaism (which is being a jew i.e. stingy) for family.. not reallyt shure how things work down in their underground banking vaults.

Anyway, no offence to any jews, I love you all just no your religion.

Oh and buy the guitar dude, no matter how bad it is, if it has swapped out active pickups and is in koay condition you could sell it for more even if you didnt want it. Plus for $50 being a epi explorer im shure it wil be okay.
Thanks everyone for the advice I'll hopefully be getting the guitar tomorrow assuming he doesnt forget it.
^Be sure to post pics if you get it!
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Page 1 of 2