Most of the times when I do hammer ons with songs like "Sic Transit Gloria.. Glory Fades" by Brand New. It makes this weird twangy sound.. like the string is brushing up against something. And I tried it with my fingers and picks.. and it doesn't make a difference.

What should I do?
are you sure you're doing them right?

your fingers probably aren't strong enough. Its a matter of practice, as is everything else.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
A good exercise for hammers and finger strength is below.

-1--2--3--4----

Only pluck once, hammer on the 2, 3 and 4. By 1, 2, 3 and 4 I mean your fingers. And observe the one fret per finger rule.

Hope this helps

BB
x
Gear Lists Are For Boys Who Masturbate Too Much.
Quote by bassbitch
A good exercise for hammers and finger strength is below.

-1--2--3--4----

Only pluck once, hammer on the 2, 3 and 4. By 1, 2, 3 and 4 I mean your fingers. And observe the one fret per finger rule.

Hope this helps

BB
x

You can also do this in reverse, with pull offs (reverse of a hammer on). -4p3p2p1-

In relation, you could also do -0h1h2h3h4 plucking the open string, then hammering on with each finger. Also, try and make up different patterns. -0h1-0h2-0h3-0h4- -0h2h4-0h1h3

Good job Bitch. (i've been wanting to say that for a while now.)
^ heh heh, enjoy it! Girls who dont mind being called Bitch.

I remember when i first started learning and i used to do those patterns, 1324, down the strings, then 4231 back up the strings. tricky at first, but really really good exercises for finger independence.

Keep at it, dont get frustrated. Try and get to the stage of Flow.

BB
x
Gear Lists Are For Boys Who Masturbate Too Much.
Start on the G string and work down to the E. Get to know the best place in relation to the fret to put your finger and using as little force as you can while still playing the note - otherwise you'll be wearing your left hand out too quickly each time you practice