What are the best kind of bass guitars to play heavy metal and stufflike that?also what is the best kind of tuning for your bass guitar when you play that kind of music?
I have a thing for Jackson Basses, and B.C. Rich Basses.

They have the sound, AND the look.

Total package

I have ALWAYS prefered standard tuning.

I know a lot of bands now are drop tuning ( some as low as "C" ), which is great for the guitars, it makes them sound like a bass.

But in a LIVE setting, it makes the Bass sound like pure mud.
Avast Ye Scurvy Scalawags!

Pirate Gear:

Charvel/Jackson 3B Bass
Series 10 5-String Bass
Vintage 70s Ampeg SVT/SVT 8x10 Cab
Ibanez GSA 60 Guitar
Roland Cube 15 Amp
Yamaha DD-55 Drum Machine
TASCAM 424 Portastudio
1) which metal

2) are there certain features you'd want?

3) how many strings

4) give examples of bands/bassists you want sound of

5) realize that the amp is 80% of your sound

6) Standard. unless you answer number 1 and tell me the names of some bands, so i could tell you what tuning they use in case you want to do their music. but standard should be fine for now. moreso if you're planning on a 5 string

7) price range

FROM NOW ON: if you read this (what im typing right now) and you decide in a few days you wanan post a thread on what bass/amp etc you should get, remember what i said, give more info, the more you tell us the more we tell you

EDIT:
Quote by Ampeg J
I have a thing for Jackson Basses, and B.C. Rich Basses.

They have the sound, AND the look.

Total package

I have ALWAYS prefered standard tuning.

I know a lot of bands now are drop tuning ( some as low as "C" ), which is great for the guitars, it makes them sound like a bass.

But in a LIVE setting, it makes the Bass sound like pure mud.

1) BC rich basses dont have the sound.

2) Many metal bands go much lower than C.

3) hey.. i found out something the other day, thers a ... a 5 string bass! yeah. i heard its tuned BEADG!? wow that's a Low B... seems like a semi tone lower than a C... o wait, wouldnt it sound like pure mud? !!!! no no it dosnt because you remember to get a rig that includes a 15" speaker and you actually know what youre talking about.
Last edited by mangablade at May 17, 2006,
Jackson might, but B.C. Rich certainly do not have the sound. Try Jackson and ESP. For tuning, I'd say standard.
Quote by Bumper
Jackson might, but B.C. Rich certainly do not have the sound. Try Jackson and ESP. For tuning, I'd say standard.

Dude, you have GOT to try an NJ series Warlock... active EQ. Neck-thru...

They get any tone you could want.

Pirate Gear:

Charvel/Jackson 3B Bass
Series 10 5-String Bass
Ibanez GSA 60 Guitar
Roland Cube 15 Amp
TASCAM 424 Portastudio
i havnt tried NJ or Plat series basses yet.

but from their low series basses, they were crap.

and the plat series guitars, they were crap.
I've played many B.C.s, and trust me, only a few have ever seemed anywhere near playable. Anything under the Platinum series is complete crap on a beanpole, and most of their stuff is still pretty close to crap unless it's custom shop.
Yeah, the low-end BC Rich gear is junk.

Bolt-on neck, passive Pickups that just don't have the "BITE" for playing metal...

I had a Rave Series Warlock, and an NJ...and even after throwing Dimarzios in the Rave, it still couldn't touch the NJ.

I sold both and got my Charvel/Jackson back when they were new and somewhat pricey. :P

Pirate Gear:

Charvel/Jackson 3B Bass
Series 10 5-String Bass
Ibanez GSA 60 Guitar
Roland Cube 15 Amp
TASCAM 424 Portastudio
1) which metal-death metal,nu-metal,metalcore and black metal

2) are there certain features you'd want?-just that it sounds good and everything,i'm not to picky about features otherthan it has to look sweet

3) how many strings-4 or 5

4) give examples of bands/bassists you want sound of-killswitch engage,slipknot,arch enemy,children of bodom and in flames

5) price range-less than $2000
a SR series bass qualifies for those (or srx),

i'd suggest a 5 string if your up for it, your music and those bands call for a 5 string (some of em). also those are gateway metal bands if you ask me, only In Flames and COB are metal i think (dont know about arch enemy) and even then theyre pretty mainstream. once you get into better more underground metal, you'll find more 5 string usage. go on the metal forums if you want good metal recommondations btw.

if you get a sr/srx, you'll have WAY more than enough to buy yourself a kickass amp/rig to get the right tone. i'd suggest spending more on the amp than the bass.
Yeah bobby, i was going to tell you earlier to spend more on the amp. dont get anything like trucker-yet, hes too good and his set's huge. but you just need something better than a 20W amp. get something with a good distortion setting.