Hey, I have a Fender Jazz bass (made in mexico) and I was wondering what kind of pick ups it comes with? At fender.com it just says 2 "new" single coil pick ups, but it didnt specify. I was thinking of buying some Seymuur Duncan SJB-3 quarter-pound for jazz bass®. What do you guys think?
Theyre pretty famous for growl, if thats what you like. If not,

http://www.emginc.com/displayproducts.asp?section=Bass&categoryid=30&catalogid=129

EMG's tend to be worth it if youve got the $$$

They also come with everything, so their incredibly easy to install yourself
Member of UG's Keyboardists club. PM 4string-tsurigi to join.

Jimbo Wallace of the Godlike, Archaic, But Sexy Instrument Players. PM me to join.
I want my bass to sound similar to that off rise against. I really like the sound, especially in their songs like the angel, and broken english. And I'm pretty sure it said on the seymour duncan website that he uses these pick ups. Not 100% on it though.
Why won't I need a neck and a bridge? Is it because the mexican is different from standard?
Yeah. Mexi basses (unless its an absolutely brand new one), because of cost reasons, use 2 neck pups instead of a neck and bridge.

I guess you could have a shop route it for you?

Jimbo Wallace of the Godlike, Archaic, But Sexy Instrument Players. PM me to join.
Nah, that's too much work. I think I'll just get the neck pups then. Is it ok to have the same pots and volume switch or do I need new ones that can hander higher voltage? One more question , will two neck pickups sound different than a neck and bridge?
Unless your pots crackle or have any problems now, you should be fine.

And I have never noticed a tonal difference between the pickup orientation.

Its always good to have an expert (like at a shop) look over everything before you even buy it.

Anytime.

you sure? I might've mixed them up though.

Someone on talkbass.com checked on his 97-ish Fender (which he changed the pickups on) for me. They were both the size of a Bridge pickup.
haha
O.k. see this.

The pickguard for a standard (mexican) Jazz is the same as an American pickguard, which is cut for a bridge pickup.

(except for the truss rod adjustment thingy)

by all means, prove me wrong, but I think I'm right.

How big are the bridges and how big are the necks? My pick ups are 3 and 6/8ths of an inch.
^ I think his is older

listen to MetalUpTheAss, hes right

This is all the more reason to follow my mantra and talk with an expert before you do ANYTHING.

Sorry about that.

Are both your pickups the same size?I just gave mine a closer look and one is 3inches and 6/8ths and the other is 3inches and 5/8ths so theres about an eights of an inch difference. Btw, my serial number is mz2023438 if that helps?
Ummmm... Custom shop stuff (handmade in Corona Cali) has 2 different pickups.

And upon closer reference, you might be ablew to squeeze the 2 different pickups in, but have it looked at anyway.

I'll definatly bring my bass in to long and mcquade and see what they think. I was looking here: http://www.bestbassgear.com/basslines-pickups-sjb3.htm#
and the bass pickups seem like they will fight because:
3inches and 6/8ths = 3.75
3inches and 5/8ths = 3.625

The one's lister are on the site are:
Neck = 3.625(perfect match)
Bridge = 3.730(pretty close)

So I'm assuming my measuring is just barely off, so I think it's fair enough to say they share the same sized pickups. But I'm still going to take it in to be sure

Now all I need to do is look into a new bass amp Any suggestions?
Youll need to look at other threads for that, or start one about it.

I have a Standard '96 Jazz Bass and the bridge pup is slightly longer than the neck pup.

And Artistic, your serial numbers can tell you the year of your bass. For yours it's 2002. Hope this helps.
Fender Jazz Bass
Squire Stratocaster
Yamaha RBX 170(Custom Paint)
Yamaha MagicStomp
Dunlop MXR Distortion +
Morley Dual Bass Wah
Peavey Basic 112