They didn't know how to EQ it properly, Mesa's are notorious for the learning curve on their active EQ's. It takes some time get a handle on it. I've heard them dialed bad where it sounded muddy, but you can clean it up if you know what you're doing. The cleans aren't bad, they aren't the best, but they certainly aren't bad. Unreliable doesn't make any sense to me. Mesa even makes it's own tubes, I have an amp from 1991 that hasn't had to have anything done other than regular tube maintenance. Once the tubes start to go, any amp will have unreliable sound quality. You address this by regular maintenance.

The only thing I don't like about the Framus, is they set the bias cold from the factory, so it seems a little buzzy almost. There is a bias pot adjustment however, so you can remedy it. You take the bias up to 33-35mA from the factory 25-28mA, and it brings it out of any crossover distortion, and cleans up any "buzziness". Other than that, I think it kicks ass.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Last edited by Erock503 at May 18, 2006,
^

I chose the Framus and matching Greenback loaded cab. I wanted something in a simliar vein to a Recto, but with a little tighter low end. I also like the midrange and highs of EL34 when they are saturated, which the Framus uses. Like the recto, it can be fit with either EL34 or 6L6 however. The recto sound is unique though, it's really a preference thing between the 2. The Framus was specifically what I was looking for when I was amp searching and I heard it. You will probably pay more for it than a recto however. They have some clips at www.rocksolidamps.com if you want to check it out. It really comes down to your personal preference, both these amps kick ass. If you're spending that kind of money, also check out the ENGL amp on that site too. I have yet to try a powerball, but they are supposed to kick major ass as well.

BTW, make sure you ask around about cabs as well, they have large impact on your overall sound with any of these heads. People tend to forget how much of a difference a quality cab and speakers can make. Don't skimp on the cab if you are getting one of these heads.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Last edited by Erock503 at May 18, 2006,
Framus Cobra.......... just because i like the logo and name...... Cobra !! Dude.... that is sooooooooooooo shredding thrash metal. !!!
Tone is all ...... well probably 75%, in your fingers.
The rest depends on your wallet's thickness !!

Keep the faith, baby!!
Quote by Erock503

BTW, make sure you ask around about cabs as well, they have large impact on your overall sound with any of these heads...

I'll second that in relation to at least the Mesa's (have never personally dealt with the Framus). I have owned a Dual Recto, Triple Recto, and Triaxis-through-2:90. (Upgraded gradually). Over the years, I decided I didn't like the Mesa sound and eventually got rid of it all, including the big Mesa cabs. However, while I do not like the MEsa sound any more, I did not ever think of it as "flabby".

It was a very respectable sound... just wasn't "me". In fact, one of the things I *liked* about Mesa's, especially with El34's, was how tight and thumpy their low end was. What I didn't like were the way they handled the upper mids in high-gain... something about it bugged me.

But, I'll reiterate the cad thing, because I've played my dual and triple recto's through several different makes of cabs and it seemed like "lesser" cabs couldn't... I dunno... stand up to the thump, so they sounded flabby 'cause the cabs were crap. With good Mesa cabs, or even Marshall cabs, I always got a tight low end.

And I never had a technical problem with any of them, either. A tube went out once or twice, but that's life with a tube amp. Can't blame the manufacturer for that.
ryjo, hows the triazxis 2:90 going for you ?? How does it sound ??
Tone is all ...... well probably 75%, in your fingers.
The rest depends on your wallet's thickness !!

Keep the faith, baby!!
Quote by bluespunkmetal
ryjo, hows the triazxis 2:90 going for you ?? How does it sound ??

Well, I got rid of it some time back. I'm back to using my ancient Rocktron mAxe through a VHT 2-90-2 (which, to date is my favorite setup).

In terms of how it sounded and how it went: While the triaxis itself was actually quite versitile and competent, I did not like the 2:90... it had nothing on my current VHT. I tend not to like 6L6 powered rigs for some reason (except my old dearly departed 5150).

That said, I liked the combination of triaxis and 2:90 better than the heads themselves. But, in the end, the TriAxis had that "Mesa" sound to the hi-gain stuff, and that just came down to a personal taste issue. If you've heard Mesa's and really really liked them, I am fairly confident you'd like the Triaxis, just shop around for the power section before you go straight to the 2:90... it's all the heads are and more, for lack of better words .

As to what I didn't like, no matter how much I tried, I couldn't dial out this upper mid "harshness" at the highest gain settings... but you might like a different eq that totally eliminates that.
totally ignore what blue punk metal said. Erock503 knows exactly what's he's talking about. But this is the only thing, when your buying expense amps, they're really all reliable(with the EXCEPTION of B-52; they suck). The big things about the amps you named is more about what it is that they do. Mesa are tight. If that's what you want it will do that to its maximum extent. Same thing like Erock503 was saying about those framuses. I prefer Mesa's but that all goes with my style of playing.