Hey, I was wondering if anyone knew what this guitar playing technique is called, or how it's done. I've been playing for two years (not that that's gotten me anywhere ) and can probably understand your explanation . So anyway, I've seen Steve Vai and Herman Li(but I'm sure they're not the only ones) kind of "slap" their guitar (usually around the 12th fret) with two fingers that produces a kind of harmonic effect, only it sounds a bit different than if you would just fret the harmonics. What are they doing exactly? What is it called and how do you do it? Thanks.
I think you are talking about "tapping". But I'm not to sure if that's it, cause I don't really know how to do it.
nah... I know what tapping is. Thanks for trying, though. The fretting hand is stationary(forming a chord or whatever) and then the other hand's literally "slapping" it. Sorry can't post a pic.
It's called tapped harmonics, actually, and it's really easy to do. Here's one way: take a G barre chord and instead of picking the notes, slap the strings 12 frets above your fretting hand. EVH did this a fair bit in the 80s.
its called hermonic tapping.

just tap the fret wire on the 12th fret.. hear the hermonic?

now on any of the strings (works best on the EADG strings)hold the 1 the first fret, and tap one octive about that witch would be the fret wire above the 13th fret.
now do the same thing but hold the 4th fret and tap on the 16th frets fret wire...

i hope you get the concept
VHT Special 6 ultra
TC HOF Reverb
Line 6 DL4
EHX OD Glove
Fender standard Tele
Ibanez Rga121
Taylor GA 214E

T     T     T     T     T     T
|-------------------------------0(12)--*|
|-------------------0(12)--------------*|
|-------2(14)-------------2(14)--------*|
|-------------2(14)--------------------*|
|-0(12)--------------------------------*|
|--------------------------------------*|

the numbers in the ( ) is there you need to tap the other numbers are the frets you need to hold down....

THis is a Van halen song BTW
VHT Special 6 ultra
TC HOF Reverb
Line 6 DL4
EHX OD Glove
Fender standard Tele
Ibanez Rga121
Taylor GA 214E
Yes, but do you need to pluck the strings first ??
Tone is all ...... well probably 75%, in your fingers.
The rest depends on your wallet's thickness !!

Keep the faith, baby!!
no just tap

hold the fret in the first octive and tap the fret wire in the second octive
VHT Special 6 ultra
TC HOF Reverb
Line 6 DL4
EHX OD Glove
Fender standard Tele
Ibanez Rga121
Taylor GA 214E
Sounds like the bongo technique Tal Farlow uses.
UG Blues Mafia
Founding Members: Forklifterer, Steve Cropper, Crzyrckgtrst28, and TNfootballfan62

Member of the Anti-Whammy-Bar-Solo Club