guys they said higherground was so easy.

it looks so easy.. so i tried doing it. but i really can't get the timing of it.

i keep on listening to it.. it has a weird timing. how will i do it?
I think, it's easier to get if you play along to the record. It helps you get the timining MUCh easier.
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
I had trouble at first too, but it's piss man, To help, i used to hammer on the first g after the double e then e octave then e again part. It replaces the quick little double slap with one and makes it easy to reset your hand in time for the slap slap pop slap slap pop that follows, or, if your in the 2nd bar of the riff slap slap pop slap pop slap.
hence

Slapping pattern: (this i guarentee won't line up propperly so just follow accordingly)
S S P S S S P S S P

G]----------------------------------------
D]-------2------------5------------7----
A]----------------------------------------
E]-0--0----0-3--3--------5--5---------

becomes

Slapping pattern: (the original 4th slap is no longer needed)
S S P S S P S S P
G]----------------------------------------
D]--------2---------5-----------7-------
A]----------------------------------------
E]-0--0----0h3-3------5--5-----------
* You could also maybe put a slide between the low g to low a to eradicate more riight hand stress.

This is just something i did to get used to the song and slapping all together because it is a real easy song as far as slapping goes. After mastering the transformed riff, i could master the propper one much easier... but that's just me
Hope that helped
Higher Ground is not a beginners song, that's why you can't play it my friend. if you must play this song to start your journey into slap, then just play it really really slow. it's in 4/4 so you can use a metronome easily. Everyone on here says it, but not one of them teaches bass, most of have never had lessons and i doubt many have even been playing longer than a few years.

And octave note is the same note but one octave higher, or 12 semi-tones. not sure about your musical knowledge, but imagine a piano, if you press the C note, and then keep going up until you get to the next C note, that's one octave. On bass it is the note that is two frets across and two strings down.

---------------6---
----4----5--------
------------4------
-2----3-----------

Etc...

it's the same ANYWHERE on the neck. Sorry if you know this, but you did ask...

BB
x
Gear Lists Are For Boys Who Masturbate Too Much.
you can play it in either 4/4 or 12/8, but basicly it is the same.
Just start real slow and maken sure you get it right. If you got that you can go play it faster
seriously, don't understand the fuss, higher ground was a good song when i started slap bass, i had problems with keeping up with the triple slap -0-3-3- but start doing it slow and speed up as you go :S
the only hard part to that song is the triplets, first 4 notes (the E's) are in straight time, the last bunch (G's and A's) are triplets. so treat them like that.

this song is only hard if you havnt got the hang of different rhythms, which is why some ppl suggest finger playing for months before trying slap.

but imo, higherground is a great beginner song. but perhaps some ppl hurry into slapping without learning the basics.

i dotn want to be mean, but if u dont know what an octave is, perhaps slapping isnt yet for you.