I was just wondering if anyone has a Vox AD50, because I'm planning to get one, I just want to know if they are any good, and why they are good. Or if they are bad, why they are bad.

Thanks
I'm in the 'Australia FTW' Club. Join

Hi
it will be worth it, i got the ad100vt, best thing i've bought. the cleans are crisp, the distortions crunchy and this thing can go wayyyyyy loud, i was drowning out my other guitarist on the power level on half and the master volume on half, and he was using a 100 watt marshall connected up to another 100 watt laney amp. but my tone was still cutting through like anything. i got the ad100vt on special for 780 such a good deal. but yeh i'd reccomend it.
i've heard good things about the sound but havent tried them myself, though some people have reported reliability problems.
Tunes, gear and other random stuff can be found in my "UG" profile if you click my name
well iv'e got one.
and i had for almost half a year now and i love it very much!
i might tell from your name that you are a fan of acdc and there would be no problems what so ever with gettin the angus like tone out of this one!

for what purpose are u getting this amp like giggin,playing at home etc etc.
and if you would like to play that bad ass metal you might want to think about getting a overdrive or dist stompbox.

but still this is the most versatile amp for the money and it's the best iv'e ever played in this price range.
it's best thing is the versatility. with all the onboard effects and amps (buy the footswitch afterwards or try
to get it for free when you buy it) you can get pretty much any sound you want from that mellow bluestone to the
harsh rock/metal soound (but as i said you might want to think it over if your'e only going to play extreme metal on it).
also the speaker in the 50W is of better quality than in the 30/15W.

you really can't go wrong with this amp!

if there's enything more you wan't to know about it just feel free to ask!

Vic
Quote by joel_grieve
dude. you're drunk and queer. bad combination.

My gear:
Ibanez SZ520fm
Vox AD50VT
Boss DS1 (soon to be modded i think)

Bass stuff:
Cort G34
Peavey 112 basic
Yep i have one, great amp, nice tone and and loud.
Tears in waves, minds on fire
Nights alone by your side
Nah, I play a variety, metal, rock, blues, bit of jazz.

And I'm getting it for home use, and also jamming with my friends, so I can crush thier pitiful 20 Watt amps! Mwhahahaha! (I have a 10 watt....)

So it's very good then? Great, that's what I heard, but I wanted to confirm.
Thanks!
I'm in the 'Australia FTW' Club. Join

Hi
I'm thinking of getting one soon as well, and I'm in australia, which state do you live in? If you find a store that sells them for $500AUD could you private message me, I can't find interstate prices out of QLD
you are going to kill your friends 20's with this one ;p you
could even drench a drummer a guitar and a bass with this 50
it's seriously LOUD!
also a really good thiong is the control of how much watts
you want to use. all from 0-50 which mean you can crank
the master and volume at full ALWAYS! because this is a tube fitted
preamp the amp will sound more "tubish" at any volume. it's like blowing out
a tube amp at any volume really and tubes, as most of us know
sounds the ebst when voerdriven or when they are pushed to max!

as i said you CAN'T go wrong with this one!
Quote by joel_grieve

My gear:
Ibanez SZ520fm
Vox AD50VT

Bass stuff:
Cort G34
Peavey 112 basic
I really like the AD50VT. Best cheap amp out there. The only thing I noticed when I tested one out, though, is with my guitars, it sounded really bassy. The AD30VT has this problem too, except the speakers are **** so it gets all flabby and such. The AD50VT, however, has much better (Celestion rather than Vox) speakers so you don't have that problem. So yeah, I'd give it a 9/10.
Hi, I'm Peter
please post in gg&a....
#12 of the "Ibanez SZ over RG Club!" PM ibanez4life SZ! to join!
MOD would you please move this thread to GG&A!
Quote by joel_grieve

My gear:
Ibanez SZ520fm
Vox AD50VT

Bass stuff:
Cort G34
Peavey 112 basic
I tried the 100w version of the same amp and wasn't really impressed. The knobs and stuff on it seemed really cheap, and it pretty much sounded like any other amp in the price range.

It's also already been proven that the pre-tube or whatever it is doesn't make it any louder.

As for the 11 different amps in one gimmick, all I noticed was that the volume went up as I changed from amp setting to amp setting.

I just wasn't impressed. I tried my MG50DFX a couple weeks later and liked it a lot better, so I bought it instead. The MG's are a lot better than people say. Mine doesn't have any of the problems other people have complained about and it's a good, reliable amp. You should check them out as well. I got mine for less than I would have paid for the Vox AVT50w I was looking at buying.

Edit: Also, with the Vox, the effects were terrible. They sounded way too digital and had a cheap tone to them.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
^^ The volume went up because there is a channel volume control, the gain control, and the master volume, and the gain control and volume control change with every patch. The gain control doesn't even work on some of the models. You can adjust the volume control of the channel and save it so that there is more balance. The AD series amps are a little trickier to EQ than one would first think. But I agree with you on the FX. Other than the reverb, I never use them.
Hi, I'm Peter
^I use the effects on my MG a lot though. They actually sound decent. Not as good as a nice pedal, but good enough to use to get different sounds.

As for messing with the EQ on the Vox, I played around with it for close to 45 mins. I was trying out all sorts of guitars at Guitar Center, so I played them all through the Vox 100w. It was a decent amp, don't get me wrong, I just don't think it's nearly as great as people make it out to be.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Xenn if he gets that MG over the Vox I will kill you, stop telling people it's amazing when it just isn't. I'd know, I had the MG100DFX but got rid for a Vox AD120VTX and it is much much much better.
Oh noes. A death threat.

Report'd.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
i've been thinking about a vox for my next amp, do they make heads and cabs, or is the 100 the loudest one?
they make a 120w combo for the valvetronix, but they also make the AC15 and AC30 which have heads and cabs, but no digital modelling like the valvetronix, which is probably a good thing
they make a Valvetronix head & cab.

And Xenn, I wasn't personally insulted by you not liking the Vox

Quote by rubberbullets
they make a 120w combo for the valvetronix, but they also make the AC15 and AC30 which have heads and cabs, but no digital modelling like the valvetronix, which is probably a good thing

AC30 and AC15 = Legendary all-tube rock amps

Valvetronix = decent modeling amps with toys on them to attract people with not enough money to buy decent fx, people who just want toy amps for something different (like me), or stupid people who like to have lots of pretty, shiny knobs to turn. The latter people have a natural predeliction for being fluffers.
Hi, I'm Peter
Last edited by Dirk Gently at May 18, 2006,
^Thanks Dirk

Like I said, they're nice amps, just it seems to me that they do a lot of things decently, but not many particularly great.

My MG does what I need it to, so it's great for me. All I'm saying is that it's a nice amp for the price, even though it's solid state. Try one, as well as the Vox. Also try any other amps in you're price range. Pick the one that you like the sound of best.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Quote by Xenn99
^Thanks Dirk

Like I said, they're nice amps, just it seems to me that they do a lot of things decently, but not many particularly great.

My MG does what I need it to, so it's great for me. All I'm saying is that it's a nice amp for the price, even though it's solid state. Try one, as well as the Vox. Also try any other amps in you're price range. Pick the one that you like the sound of best.

MG's are not great for the price. They are expensive for what you get. The Vox is a much better value. Hmm... I could pay $500 for 100 bees in a box with a Marshall emblem on them, or I could pay the same amount for a nice vox amp that has 100 watts in the box.

If you like it great, keep it and play with it. Eventually you will dislike it. Pretty fast I might add.
get the VTX head, its alot more versatile than the regular VT series and has 16 amps and a couple pedals. i also have a bigger bank that you can save settings in.
1993 Jackson Dinky Professional XL (shred)
Modified Squier Strat (blues and anything)
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Dunlop Original Crybaby GCB-95
Quote by jmac72187
MG's are not great for the price. They are expensive for what you get. The Vox is a much better value. Hmm... I could pay $500 for 100 bees in a box with a Marshall emblem on them, or I could pay the same amount for a nice vox amp that has 100 watts in the box.

If you like it great, keep it and play with it. Eventually you will dislike it. Pretty fast I might add.

i've never heard the buzzing either, stop telling people the amps suck and tell them to try them out. i got a good one, its not my favorite amp i've ever tried but its still good.
We are not telling people not to try MGs, they can go and try them if they wish, just to discover that the tone SUCKS.

So yeah, you should go try some amps yourself, but I highly recommend getting a Vox Valvetronix. Or a Roland Cube.
Quote by americnidiot
why the f*** does that guy have a KFC bucket on his head?

Quote by slashnmash
its buckethead dummy!
Voxes have very limited clean options. When you get a clean tone, the volume drops so much that you have to turn the volume way up to be loud. If you like cleans, don't get the Vox.

American Stratocaster + Blues Junior

no really, vox can easily outdo mg amps. it's not even a challange to beat my mates amp. and i'm sure u could get a great deal only 780 for the 100 watt!!!! whereas the mg's go for alot more.
I have a vox AD60, so I can't really comment on the 50, but I love my amp. It's quite versatile, and the tone's good enough for me- Naturally I'd prefer an all-tube amp, but the Vox is fine for me 'til I get some more disposable income going.

Oh, and Xenn? The tube's not in the preamp. The pre is all digital. The tube is coupled to the poweramp, so it holds together better at high volumes. Still not incredible, like all-tube power sections, but better than AVT-style hybrids.
ok, first off, *moved* to G G&A.

secondly, don't threaten people with death, ashdown

thirdly, don't report people who threaten you with death, xenn, it's obvious it's a joke.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Both MGs and Voxs sound nice although neither of them do overdrive/distortion very well and the Voxs seem a little bassy, the effects are also too "digital" sounding which is why I prefer the MGs.
Looking to buy a Fender Jagstang, u sellin?
^^^ On board effects are a useless marketing ploy anyway, which makes that comparison the difference between whether the pneumonic or bubonic plague is better. Tone of amp > sound of crappy on board effects. Notice Mesa/Boogie and Bogner haven't started including on-board effects on their amps...
Hi, I'm Peter
yes, but remember the Cube..... It has NICE onboard fxs...
Tone is all ...... well probably 75%, in your fingers.
The rest depends on your wallet's thickness !!

Keep the faith, baby!!
That's because, in my opinion, Roland is more a synthesizer and FX company than an amp manufacturer. So their cheap digital fx are going to be a bit above average amongst their competition. But then again the Cube itself has a tendency to sound digital on some settings. So it's a trade off. But still, you're buying an amp primarily for the way the amp sounds, not gimmicky FX.
Hi, I'm Peter
i just bought an ad50vt and its sweet. i love the fact that u can save 2 settings and have the orignal 11 presets by the factory. Deff. worth the money. i just need to get the footswitch
Quote by bambi_slaughter

how do you get a baby in a tupperwear container?
use the blender.
how do you get it out again?
tostitos.
i got the AD50VT last christmas... fukin awesome amp! once u get used to it and play with it u can find sum pretty kl sounds... but dont expect miracles straight away. Personally I dont like the Vox (ac15/30) patches - theyre too weak... but then ive never played the fully fledged monster so i dont know. one problem ive had is that something buzzes horribly on certain notes (theres a thread sumwhere on here). ive brought it back to the shop and theyll look but as its 'job stock' theres not much chance of getting it professionally looked at, although this is only my personal circumstances.

If u buy a new one it should be pretty awesome! If my present one cant be fixed im buying another!