hey i dont know much about amp, but I plan on buying my first big amp with a price range of about $1000 - $1200. i will mostly use it just for like jamming with my band and for practicing in my room and where ever else. I mosty play metal music but i like to play grunge and like old school rock. so if anyone has any recommendations or anything it would be good.

Cheers
Matt
Go for a tube amp. I dont know if tube Marshalls are that much. Maybe theyre more. Loook at the Peavy 5150. Also take a look at the Fender Metalhead.
That price...... I dunno, a used Mesa ??
Tone is all ...... well probably 75%, in your fingers.
The rest depends on your wallet's thickness !!

Keep the faith, baby!!
Quote by Border_Patrol
Also take a look at the Fender Metalhead.

Please don't.
And it's not a valve amp.

You could look around for some used Mesas or something, I assume you wanna' go valve with that price range?
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
yep

Keep the faith, baby!!
^Helpful... lol

What I'll suggest is that you go down to the local shop once you've got a few ideas of amps you might want, and play the hell out of them, and play lots, until you find an amp you really like, then buy.
Don't be afraid to care"

I was yepping you RHCP......... You should be proud lolooolllllolll

Keep the faith, baby!!
You're forgiven then!
Don't be afraid to care"

Just remember, if you go for a Marshall or any other tube amp you will only get the nicest sounds when you make the valves work hard which means playing at loud volumes especially if they are powerful amps. For room practice etc. a 30W amp is better than a 100W amp since the less powerful amp means the valves are driven more easily so you don't have to crank it up and make yourself deaf.

Ok, this may sound biased but you should check out the Marshall JCM 900 they are not that expensive I got mine for £361 which is about US$ 400-450. The great thing about this amp is that you have the option to switch from 100W to 50W. I played a gig in a fairly large venue without using a PA system, on 50W setting with the volume barely past 4.5. Oh yeah the cabinet you choose kinda affects the sound a bit, I used a Mode Four MF400 cab to get some more low end.
Jackson Warrior w/ SH-10&SH-13, Floyd Rose Original

1990 Marshall JCM 900 4100
w/ EL-34 Mullard re-issue Power tubes
V1: Harma STR-270 & V2,3: GT-12AX7-M

Boss GE-7 EQ
In Europe, used JCM900 with THD hotplate.
In USA, used 5150/6505 with Ted Weber attenuator.

Can't go wrong with either one.
It's a fine line between clever and stupid.
Quote by JCM900DUDE
The great thing about this amp is that you have the option to switch from 100W to 50W. .

just remember that the switch doesn't just change the watts but also the operation of the tubes. 50watts makes the amp run in triode operation which makes the amp kinda sound like you threw a blanket over it....and 100w for pentode operation which IMO sounds better and works better with EL34 tubes
Quote by Gutch220
just remember that the switch doesn't just change the watts but also the operation of the tubes. 50watts makes the amp run in triode operation which makes the amp kinda sound like you threw a blanket over it....and 100w for pentode operation which IMO sounds better and works better with EL34 tubes

correcto. the Low setting sounds good for like indie/classic rock kinda stuff...and the High setting is best...for me anyways. plus if you really wanna rock out throw in an OD or something.
yea, the high 100w setting is the amp running "normally"....the 50w setting is like putting a turnikit on the amp and holding it down