I've made myself a pickgaurd out of diamond plate:

(I dont have any pics of the thing actually mounted on there )

as for covering the entire top of a relatively flat guitar:
get your peices of the stuff, trace the guitar and the positions for all the electornics and bridge stuff like that onto it. Cut it out and drill and all that. Sand down the edges or do what they did there on the pic you posted and put some kind of rubber strip over the dge of it
man thats hetfields guitar aint it? damn i want it...
just go to your local guitar shop. they'll install it properly. make damn sure it fits around or over your controls! i imagine placing one requires taking off strings, possibly the bridge too just to get it to fit in right. and then screwing it in to place with good screws, not too long tho! good luck and peace man
rock on
Bassmonkey16
Quote by Metalology

................../´¯/)
...............,/¯..//
............./....//
....../´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
.../'/.../..../......./¨¯\
.('( ...´(..´......,~/'...')
..\.................\/..../
...''...\.......... _.·´
....\..........(

bassmonkey16@nexopia
Yeah thats what i want!! Not metal plate on the whole guitar just like Fender Suire has. And there is no guitar shop near by so i was planing to do it my self. I saw the plate i want in a store but its 5mm thick is it good or bad? And how can i better do it at home?
err----5mm will be a bit too much, and heavey too

mine is like 2mm or 3mm though I guess something thinner will also work.

as for how to make a pickgaurd:
-take your pickgaurd and everything thats on it off
-trace it onto the back (which is flat, obviously. Also don't screw up end up up mirroring it or anything like that) with a marker or whatever
-cut it out (I got a friend who works in a metalshop to do it, but I think you could do it yourself with a dremel, the stuff is rather soft)
-drill holes (double check at this point so you don't end up drilling them off 1mm and not being able to put all the screws back on)
-take a file or whatever such tool to make the edges of the thing not sharp or expand and holes if needed
-put everything back together
Is the surface of your guitar completly flat or is it curved?

if its not flat I wouldn't even bother attempting
Well its not perfectly flat! I say its almost flat but its not like super curved.