I only use my three middle-fingers, is that enough? Just wondering, 'cause if not then I will practice with all my fingers. The problem is, I have been playing for a good while, and it may get hard to use other fingers than the ones I'm used to...
It's better to be able to use them all. There's really no benefit to using fewer than that.

Sure, some folks have made do with less, but it's better to have something you don't need, than to need something you don't have.
mhh. I had the same problem, too. Actually you gain a lot by using your pinky, especially when doing fast runs over larger parts of the fretboard. But I think there even professional guitarists who use only three fingers, such as Michael Schenker.
Die Sonne graut dem Morgen
Morsch sind Baum und Pfad
Die Sonne graut dem Morgen
mir ist kalt...
This is a bit tricky for me, since I'm left-handed and playing with the "wrong" hand on the fretboard. I'm doing fine with the fingers I mentioned, but the pinky is totally untrained. Can I get better with it?

Why don't you play left-handed?

Training the pinky is just the same as training any other finger, you just have to start using it.
i always find it hard to use my pinky coz its not long enough to reach the top four strings wen all the other fingers are in position to play harder chords and also it is quite a bit slower to find the chords
I play right-handed because no left handed guitars were available when I started, and now I'm used to it. I can't even play lefthanded anymore And I'm confident I'm doing just as well as any righthanded player who has played as long as me.
the trick to using all four fingers is to place ure thum right on the back of the neck in the centre, if u have a guitar such as a pacifica or similar u may have a big line in the middle of the guitar neck on the back. If so, use this line as a guide to wear ure thumb should be resting about 75% of the time, this way ure fingers will have acces too all the frets.

Make sure u place ure fingers evenly spaced, just behind the metal fret. Practice your scales and cromaticisms in this position, adding in bends here and there and u should be able to play everything u could play before, but with better access to the fretboard with ure little finger, in about 6 months or so of playing like this. If you still find it really hard, try getting a guitar teacher.
Last edited by Atreideslegend at May 18, 2006,
I play with 7 fingers. 4 from left 3 from right. (right handed)

Its a bennifit to play with every finger posible.
Django Reinhardt only played with his index and middle. Booyah. :P

Four really helps a lot but you can get by with three.
Member #6 of the Agile LP over Epiphone LP Club. PM iamtehwalrus768 to join.
When it comes to flipping pancakes, it's better than burgers.
Yea, playing with only 3 fingers is pretty restictive when you start playing advanced things. I play with all five on my left hand, using my thumb to free up another finger. I dont know, maybe the style of music and stuff you are listening to allows for three but practice using your pinky for the future..
I guess, if you're Johnny Ramone, you need four. Two to fret the chords and two to hold the pick.

How many SHOULD you use? All of them but your left thumb if you fingerpick, all but your right-handed pinky and thumb and your left thumb.
You know the bitter comes out better on a stolen guitar
You're the BLESSED, we're the Spiders from Mars!

Member 3 of the "Mick Ronson Is an extremely Awesome Guitar Player" Fanclub. PM ThePurpleRabbit to join.
I use all 12......... it's not a birth defect, I'm a pretty amazing guitarist.

Nah. I use all four of my fret hand fingers constantly. For me it's just easier to play faster and more smoothly. I would recommend strengthening your pinky and using it a lot becasue it helps you out more in more advanced stuff.

Benny
ಥ_ಥ
im a lefty playing a righty, yes it does get easier and YES you definately want to use all 10 fingers, i shrugged off my pinky and thumb all the time way back when, now i don't use my thumb all the time but i am used to using it so when i need to i can. i use all 10 when playing classical type stuff on my guitar just as an example, if you just use 3 you're limiting yourself in an awful way.
if you ever want to play fast solo's or shread pieces, you HAVE TO be be able to play well with 4 fingers, and to know the correct place to put your fingers in a piece. i never played with my ring finger untill i learned solo's. also, its good to learn alternate picking early too, so you can other picking skills like sweep picking, otherwise you'll have fast finger skills, but you simply cant pick them at the speed you need, so think early about advanced technique's!!!!
B.C. Rich Warlock/Squier Strat/Squier Tele/Godman 5 string active Bass -> Digitech Death Metal -> Dunlop Crybaby -> Marshall MG100DFX
Thanks everyone, I will start to strengthen my pinky. Got any good methods or songs to practice with? (Preferably metal )
how many fingers are required to play the guitar? In an ideal world, 9 or 10 ought to suffice. On this planet, 4 should be fine, not including thumb
Quote by BaptizedinFire
Thanks everyone, I will start to strengthen my pinky. Got any good methods or songs to practice with? (Preferably metal )

Get Speed Mechanics for Lead Guitar by Troy Stetina.

While you've mentioned it, I'd like to say songs are the very LEAST effective way
to improve your technique. You want to isolate what you're working on very
specifically.
Quote by BaptizedinFire
I only use my three middle-fingers, is that enough? Just wondering, 'cause if not then I will practice with all my fingers. The problem is, I have been playing for a good while, and it may get hard to use other fingers than the ones I'm used to...

You have 3 middle fingers!

but in all seriousness, yeah slowly work your pinky into your playing. if your hand is big enough, you might also be able to fret notes on the low E string with your thumb.